[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should grindcore remain an underground form of music?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: I love Grindcore.jpg (60 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
I love Grindcore.jpg
60 KB, 1024x768
I'm not sure if grindcore even is underground or mainstream but do you think that kind of music (I do have respect for it) should remain underground or can it rise into the mainstream with bands like Napalm Death (depending if people consider them to be grindcore or death metal)?
>>
Grindcore is pretty self-imitating. Melodic innovations to the style being introduced by bands I hope will be influenced by Gridlink, and the melodic cybergrind niche if it ever rises in popularity, could give it some mainstream appeal.
Stuff like this isn't quite there, but with """"""""conventional production""""""" it might be closer.
https://soundcloud.com/corvid_canine/1a-1
>>
File: 1431676236799.png (167 KB, 467x490) Image search: [Google]
1431676236799.png
167 KB, 467x490
>this thread
>>
>>65220467
The genre should have started and ended with Anal Cunt. Who I actually unironically love. Yes I know, I'm as bad as those idiots from the /noise/ threads.
>>
IMO, when any genre has been around long enough it goes mainstream because people find things about the music they can capitalize on. If you had told industrial musicians in the 70s that industrial would become, at least in part a mainstream rock genre, they probably would've laughed at you. Now we have Nine Inch Nails. If you had told hardcore punk musicians that hardcore would result in mainstream pop rock tween music, they would've laughed. Then in the 00s there were tons of awful scene kid metalcore bands. If you had told black metal bands in the 90s that black metal would go mainstream, they would've scoffed. Enter Cradle of Filth. I'm actually surprised grindcore hasn't already been watered down and produced for mainstream consumption, but genres like scene kid deathcore are getting pretty close.
>>
>>65221509
>genre should have started and ended with Anal Cunt
music doesn't work like that. Musicians don't just go "oh, there's a band that pushed it too far/made it too ridiculous/etc., we clearly can't play in that style anymore even though we like it"
>>
>>65221702
Yes, thanks for stating what's wrong with music.
>>
>>65221702
If only it was that way.

Imagine how much better music would be.
>>
>>65221725
So you believe that music should be controlled by authoritative consensus? As in, once something has been done to some conclusion, no one should be allowed to work with those ideas anymore? That's idiotic. I think you're what's wrong with music fans. Besides, I don't see how Anal Cunt were definitive or a conclusion to grindcore in any way. They're an okay summation of the genre, but the genre started out in a very different place, with political crust punk-influenced bands, and has progressed to a very different place, with lots of experimental/avant garde progressive and noise bands. Anal Cunt are to grindcore what the Ramones were to punk or what Cannibal Corpse is to death metal,
>>
>>65221809
>experimental
>avant garde
>noise bands
This is how you know something is shit, when these words get mentioned.

Yes, it should have ended with Anal Cunt.

You can't post a better grindcore band than them.
>>
No, I think grindcore should go broader, it allows for some interesting experimental grindcore, such as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViSZI6UJEUQ
>>
>>65221726
It'd be awful. If psychedelia had just stopped after being fully realized, it never would've developed into prog. If punk had just stopped when it was fully realized, it never would've developed into hardcore, post-punk, etc. If thrash had stopped after it was solidified as a genre, it wouldn't have continued to develop, eventually leading to extreme metal genres like black metal and death metal. If Bebop had just stopped, there'd be no jazz avant garde. The entire notion is ridiculous.
>>
>>65221835
Not grindcore. That's just a bunch of nu-metal fags.
>>
>>65221861
Read the description, it clearly says grindcore :^)
>>
>>65221872
Yeah, and all the Asian people who live in my area call themselves "British" but they aren't.

I notice the comments and likes are disabled for that video lol
>>
File: 1459591185973.jpg (16 KB, 447x444) Image search: [Google]
1459591185973.jpg
16 KB, 447x444
>>65220467

It should stop sounding like fast sludge metal, there's no diversity now, no more fun, just a bunch of angry noise.
>>
>>65221852
Yeah but the line has to be drawn somewhere, or you end up with unlistenable shit like Merzbow.

Eh, this is a silly conversation anyway. Plebians gonna pleb.
>>
>>65221852
As Yego Letov said, creativity starts when you don't see or hear what you want in the world. You're speaking like music genres grow independently of the people who make them, as if musicians, especially in this era, aren't able to come up with genres on their own instead of merely degenerating previous genres into new ones.
>>
>>65221906
>It should stop sounding like fast sludge metal
THIS
>>
>>65221914
actually no, you're the one who's taking out the human element. Nobody comes up with anything out of thin air. How imagination works is by synthesizing elements of your surroundings/your experience. Anything that's ever been done in any art form draws from the things the artists are exposed to, whether they're conscious of it or not. Building on past innovation isn't degrading it, it's building on it. Charles Mingus was into bebop, but was obsessed with JS Bach and other Baroque figures, and thus he comined those elements to create the third stream genre. Bands like the Ramones took in their surroundings, which were garage rock, surf rock, bubblegum pop, and glam, to make a deliberately simple form of rock, which resulted in punk. Mozart was also obsessed with Bach, and took what he saw as the best elements of the past to create something new, a song structure that distilled these strong elements and defined the classical era. Beethoven mastered past works but rejected the classical form, giving himself free reign over the powerful ingredients of music he was already using. John Cale took the noise experiments of composers like Xenakis and started a garage rock band with writer/doo wop singer Lou Reed, which led to the Velvet Underground and birthed all "alternative" music.
Everything comes from somewhere. There is no line. To create anything good, you need free reign.
>>
Anal Cunt is fucking shit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG6e26u-xv0

This is real Grindcore
>>
>>65222024
Nice. Not heard this before, digging it.
>>
>>65221509
Anal Cunt isn't grindcore.
It's noisecore and noisecore should have ended with Kuolema.
>>
File: 1983462.jpg (22 KB, 397x397) Image search: [Google]
1983462.jpg
22 KB, 397x397
>>65222091

Should of ended with Fear of God
>>
>>65222091
>Anal Cunt isn't grindcore.
>It's noisecore and
I've loved Anal Cunt for probably a decade and never knew this.

All these other bands posted in here (apart from the faglords in >>65221835 ) have been pretty good and I'm liking them.
>>
>>65221639
>skramz
>>
>>65222724
come on, the popularity of the term "skramz" because screamo-influenced pop punk bands crowded out the real screamo bands. I love bands like Portraits of Past, I Hate Myself, and Ampere, but awful dogshit bands like From First to Last completely co-opted the genre. And even if you won't count those bands, now some actually decent skramz bands like Touché Amoré are getting hugely popular.
>>
Why exactly are you expecting a genre with screaming pig noises and 2 second songs to go mainstream?
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.