[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bass players
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 9594960_f520.jpg (49 KB, 520x444) Image search: [Google]
9594960_f520.jpg
49 KB, 520x444
Coming from guitar (reasonably good, mostly jazz/blues) I am finding bass to be a whole different beast. It's much harder (physically) to get my notes to sound good, and to play notes quickly without a pick.

How do you play bass, /mu/, and what excercises would you suggest for getting hand strength and forming good plucking/slapping habits.
>>
>>65210462
Masturbating
>>
>>65210571
I masturbate like a champion but I haven't the hand strength because I don't squeeze my dick that hard. Besides it's my right hand that needs strengthening.
>>
>>65210462
Focus on achieving perfect timing in every situation. Simple parts, difficult parts, whatever, timing is always first priority. A bad note on time is better then a good note slightly late.
>>
>>65210674
absolutely agreed. This was not a problem with guitar, but I have a hard time doing that with my fingers. I'm not sure if I should be plucking, or sort of *pushing down* on the string to get the note out. Like, wrapping my distale phalange around the string or using it like a plectrum (push down then release). As a result the notes don't really sound fully formed or on-beat.

Any songs that would help with learning that?
>>
>>65210750
Hmm. I've never paid attention to the exact muscle movements in my right hand before. Looking at it now I seem to make an initial pull with the entire finger momentarily flexed, then immediately relax the furthest knuckle (between the distal and medial) while continuing to flex the the medial/proximal. No wrapping, just finger pad on string, pulling against then relaxing and flowing over the string. The timing comes from the initial strong flex which feels very similar to the action of typing on a keyboard. I dunno if this helps. Never took lessions on it or even reflected on it until just now.

I learned by playing along with Talking Heads records. The songs sound like absolute shit if you're even slightly off beat. The repetition lets you dial in your action and build stamina.
>>
>>65210462

It's all about expression through tone for me on bass.

Exercises you can do by yourself to improve:

1. Chromatic exercises trying to change your tone at random times.
2. Learn the hardest stuff you can then try and make it sound good.
3. Learn the easiest stuff you can and try and make it sound good.
4. Masturbate

But the truth is the only way to get really good bass is to play with others. Probably more so than any instrument.
>>
>>65211000
so you're sot of flicking it, I see, that's what I meant but it's hard to get used to that. Gotta build up those muscles. Good advice on the songs too, thanks m80.

>>65211101
luckily the musicality of bass isn't the hard part, as I know what fret makes what note, what the scales look like and how to do them, it's just that the frets are way bigger, and the force required to press down on the strings is much greater. I don't feel like I can play the way i did with guitar (the lazy/SRV/hendrix method with the thumb wrapped around the neck instead of pressing into the back of the neck).

I've subbed for our bassist a few times but just for blues songs and I used a pick, hopefully they'll let me play more complex stuff once I get the mechanics down.

Thanks /mu/ you guys are being very helpful.
>>
>>65213000
I think playing bass with a pick is totally legit. Until my fingers are fastrr I will play with a pick when I run out of stamina on fast songs. It also gives you godly bite if you have a pervussive tone going.
>>
>>65210462
>Coming from guitar (reasonably good, mostly jazz/blues) I am finding bass to be a whole different beast. It's much harder
10/10 bait, inb4 300 replies.
>>
>>65210462
Dude slapping is overrated sans a couple techniques. Don't worry too much about that. Also plenty of good bassists play with a pick. Do what's comfortable, and learn your scales. Then focus on bass lines when listening to songs, and try and do something similar when playing
>>
>>65213230
I think I have a really good mind for funk, but I just don't have the chops to make what I hear in my head a reality yet.
>>
>>65213335
>I think I have a really good mind for funk, but I just don't have the chops to make what I hear in my head a reality yet.
EVERY BASS PLAYER EVER
Fuck slap bass.
>>
>>65213732
>Fuck slap bass.

slap bass is what bad players do when they try to sound good.

Now, there are some great slap players out there... like Victor Wooten, but y'all need to stop pretending it's the greatest thing ever
>>
>>65213837
>Victor Wooten
He's great, but only bass players can stand listening to him for more than one song.
It's like 10 minute guitar solos. So fucking boring.
>>
>>65213873
only his solo stuff... he's better when he's playing with bela fleck.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.