[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Albums that newfags HATE
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5
File: CiaH51jWUAACUcP.jpg (39 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
CiaH51jWUAACUcP.jpg
39 KB, 600x600
ITT: Albums that newfags HATE
>>
humble cannons
>>
File: image.jpg (92 KB, 940x935) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
92 KB, 940x935
>>
twin infinitives is AWFUUUUL
and this is coming from someone with over 3000 ratings on rym
>>
>>65176119
Probably have anco in your 5s
>>
>>65176119
>and this is coming from someone with over 3000 ratings on rym
woah I guess that means you aren't a newfag tough guy
>>
>>65176162
not really
I like anco though

>>65176171
>I guess that means you aren't a newfag
that's correct
>>
>>65176201
>that's correct
lol ok newfriend
Post your profile let's see what those 3000 ratings (not a lot of ratings desu) are for
>>
>>65176229
I'm not going to post it because this usually leads to vandalism
Some of my 5s: The Well-Tuned Piano (La Monte Young), Music In 12 Parts, A Love Supreme, 20 Jazz Funk Greats, Sister and Radio Amor
>>
>>65176327
>Some of my 5s: The Well-Tuned Piano (La Monte Young), Music In 12 Parts, A Love Supreme, 20 Jazz Funk Greats, Sister and Radio Amor
hahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah
so newfriend why do you think so highly of yourself over nothing?
>>
>>65176344
so predictable. I could post anything and you would give this same answer. what's your profile?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
>>65175982
what's up with royal trux? i mean seriously, "noise rock"? they're not noise, and they're not rock
>>
>>65176372
No, there's plenty of things you could have posted that WEREN'T RYM memes that would make it look like you formed your own taste

If you're not going to list your profile why the fuck would I do mine?
>>
>>65176384
>rym memes
only a love supreme is a rym meme, though
post some of your 5s
>>
>>65176407
I mean 5's for me are complicated, because I don't think Jazz or Classical should be rated at all. But here's some of my considerations
Monteverdi - L'Orfeo (Savall)
JS Bach - St Matthew Passion (Rene Jacobs)
Mozart - Symphonies 40-41 (Beecham)
Beethoven - Sonata 32 (Pogorelich
Wagner - Tristan (Furtwangler)
Ravel - Le Tombeau (Hewitt)
Schoenberg - SQ3 (LaSalle Quartet)
Boulez - Le Marteau sans Maitre (self conducted)
>>
>>65176462
>only classical
epic
if you don't like popular music why are you (presumably) defending royal trux?
>>
>>65176327
>a love supreme
>5
Listen to more jazz
>>
>>65176496
You can like something without thinking it's the greatest thing of all time.
Everything in popular music was done first and better in classical music.
That's not saying it's shit it's saying that I value the classical more.
>>
>>65176515
list some of your favourite popular music releases
>>
>>65176544
Pet Sounds
WLWH
TMR
Future Days
Indeterminate Activity of Resultant Masses
Heaven or Las Vegas
94diskont
Confield
Ys
Bish Bosch
The Ark Work

I think Twin Infinitives is decent, but definitely not shit
>>
>>65176605
>bish bosch
lmao
>>
>>65176655
Give your opinions on all of the albums I listed.
>>
>>65176327
oh, you just have bad taste then
carry on
>>
>>65176605
t. boldfaure
>>
>>65176665
youre as much of a twat as the other guy saying royal trux is awful
>>
>>65176701
Well he picked one album out of my list and tried to discredit it like the newfag he is
I want to see if he's even listened to all of those
>>
>>65176673
you may not like my taste but twin infinitives is an indefensible album. in fact, it's so indefensible that the oposite is also truth; fans use the inacessibility and unrelenting experimentalism as a shield for the ineptitude that is displayed
>>
>>65175985
lol ya, but itd be fairly popular if it was talked about by mainstream critics, as it is actually rather accessible, other than the grating vocals
>>
>>65176728
Great argument.
>>
>>65176375
they are noise by the most abstract (and therefore most valid) definition. theyve got some catchy stuff too on the album, so i think its rock.
>>
>>65176119
yeah well i have almost 5000 ratings and i love twin infinitives
>>
>>65176515
>Everything in popular music was done first and better in classical music
Not actually true, but good try. Your condescending attitude towards popular music is typical of the disgusting reality that is popular music scholarship.

Academic musique-concrete is inferior to popular musique-concrete.

Academic songs are vastly inferior to popular songs, utterly lacking poetic musicality.

The timbral fabrics of academic music are inferior to popular music.

The artistic characters of academic composers are significantly less idiosyncratic than popular musicians.

Academic music isn't nearly as visceral/sensory as popular music.

Academic indeterminate music is inferior to popular music indeterminacy.

Etc.

I obviously acknowledge that classical music is vastly superior to popular music in many respects and is arguably as a whole the superior artistic medium though.

The idea that classical music "did everything first" is hilariously ignorant, though there is a grain of truth to it (most notably, John Cage and Pierre Schaeffer's ideas). If you'd pondered popular music more, you'd also have realized that popular music is a different artistic medium than academic music.
>>
>>65176954
thanks
>>
>>65176119
you'll get it at 5000
>>
File: 20160524_213213.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160524_213213.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
I'm dg_7z on rym. I made that 6500~ word twin infinitives review. Fight me.

https://rateyourmusic.com/collection/dg_7z/rating68914357
>>
>>65178204
kill yourself
>>
>>65177211
>Academic musique-concrete is inferior to popular musique-concrete.
Because it's a dead form and there's nowhere else to go.
>Academic songs are vastly inferior to popular songs, utterly lacking poetic musicality.
LOL what's your favorite lied by Schubert?
>The timbral fabrics of academic music are inferior to popular music.
Also false, you barely listen to academic music.
>The artistic characters of academic composers are significantly less idiosyncratic than popular musicians.
Do you even know what you said here?
>Academic music isn't nearly as visceral/sensory as popular music.
Actually it's significantly moreso.
>Academic indeterminate music is inferior to popular music indeterminacy.

Listen it's clear you're a newfag and don't know what you're talking about. Let me know when you listen to classical music and study it. I'll be waiting.
>>
>>65178255
TY
>>
Trout Mask Replica
Eskimo
Soundtracks For The Blind
Loveless
>>
>>65179243
>Trout Mask Replica
babbys first weird music

>Eskimo
not true

>Soundtracks For The Blind
>Loveless
literally basic /mu/core
>>
>>65179304
>babby's first weird music
which is why he's right, meme rap kiddies can't into this easy piece of music
>>
>>65178288
>Because it's a dead form and there's nowhere else to go.
Not actually true. If you listened to more popular music, you would realize this.
>LOL what's your favorite lied by Schubert?
You probably don't know what I mean if you think Schubert's lieder has poetic musicality. It's essentially tonal music (albeit superb tonal music), and to deny that is hilarious. The sound of the words means nothing. 20th century academic songs are clearly better at this, but they still fall short compared to the extreme musicality of the Doors or Bob Dylan's lyrics. The poems Schubert borrowed for his lieder are obviously great poems, but they are not musical poems. Musicality in poetry was seen as being of little importance before the mid-19th century.

>Also false, you barely listen to academic music.
I will admit that this is certainly the weakest point, and that I may even be wrong about this. Even though 20th century music can possibly contend, even Harry Partch, Messiean, Ives, Penderecki, Percy Grainger, and Lou Harrison's attempts to create more interesting textures fail in comparison to the extremely diverse and dynamic fabrics of Tim Buckley's Starsailor or Frank Zappa's Uncle Meat. Musique concrete is clearly inherently the strongest medium for timbre.

>Do you even know what you said here?
Yes, there is a greater level of idiosyncrasy in popular music. Captain Beefheart literally sounds less like his contemporaries than Messiaen sounds like his. How can something bound to at least some conventions be more idiosyncratic than the boundless?

>Actually it's significantly moreso
I don't see how you can possibly argue this when one of the biggest debates in classical music is whether or not structure matters more than sound. Especially pre-20th century music. You literally need to know music theory to be able to appreciate classical music wholly. 20th century music and only a handful of compositions before then can be appreciated on a purely sonic level.
>>
>>65177211
The only thing I can agree with in this entire statement is that pop and academic music are different artistic mediums. But you seriously have no idea what you're talking about aside from that.
>>
>>65176605
>The Ark Work
What the fuck?
>>
>>65180334
i haven't read the rest of the argument, and i'm not interested, but i was triggered by you pretending Starsailor and Uncle Meat are better than those listed academics. Harry Partch invented his own instruments and musical notation to capture non-western scales better. Messiaen was inspired by birdsongs and incorporated incredibly diverse timbres into his works. Penderecki used plenty of musique concrete techniques and better. but at the same time, it's weird that you would compare two rock musicians who did poorman's musique concrete to a bunch of composers who didn't have it as their main focus. what about all the German and French musique concrete composers? what about the PRES folks?

the rest of your post just comes off as a person who's deeply insecure and unwilling to learn, so you've made up a bunch of reasons why rock music is the limit of what you can explore and then spun that into it being a superior artform. why don't you just try to learn about classical music or stop discussing it entirely? this is the stupidest kind of post on /mu/.
>>
>>65176503
>a love supreme
>not a 5
>being this much of a contrarian
>>
>>65176503
if you don't think it's one of the greatest jazz records either you're a tryhard contrarian newfag attempting to look "different" (the true mark of a pleb ---- seasoned jazz veterans recognize that ALS is a masterpiece)
>>
>>65180901
*ever, not either
>>
File: 3367354.jpg (47 KB, 346x349) Image search: [Google]
3367354.jpg
47 KB, 346x349
>>65176375
>they're not rock
listen to any of their other albums. i think the reason why twin infinitives is such a curveball is because they demonstrated that they're a proficient rock band on all of their other releases. so they just decided to do a weird noise freak out for one album. pic related is great, and if all you've heard is twin infinitives, you wouldn't believe it's the same band
>>
>>65180436
Show me some classical musique-concrete that's as timbrally rich and dynamic as Uncle Meat or Starsailor.

Show me a classical song with poetic musicality, the kind Ezra Pound identified as being the kind of poetry that cannot be translated, but can be appreciated by foreign ears, as the intellectual content of it is nearly irrelevant.

Show me a composer more idiosyncratic than Beefheart or Buckley. Show me one that can't have disciples, like Beefheart or Buckley. There is no standardization for popular musicians at all, even if academic music has become more lax in the past few decades.
>>
>>65180540
i am studying classical music at my university. I will learn everything about classical music and see if my intuitions are wrong. you are right that I do not know enough. I don't think the people who declare that classical music is inherently better know enough either. i also never said it was the superior art form, i said it was better at doing certain things and classical at other things because of what is inherent to the practice of recording vs writing music.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.