[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Free improvisation thread? free jazz, eai
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (12 KB, 300x298) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
12 KB, 300x298
Does /mu/ have an adequate enough amount of people that like improvisational music to have a thread about it?
If so, then cool.
Let's talk about it
>>
File: job-0399-r-ok-720x390.jpg (53 KB, 720x390) Image search: [Google]
job-0399-r-ok-720x390.jpg
53 KB, 720x390
free improvisational music

apart from Derek Bailey taking his guitar apart with a screwdriver, free music does to me fall into types

I think it's a bit of a misnomer

a player can't free themselves of music
>>
>>65163596
I definitely agree. I guess it's one of those terms I use (like 'emo') for music genres where I think the title really generalizes the style of music to an outsiders view of it. Are you not a fan of the music itself or were you just opposing the phrase 'free music'?
>>
>>65163754
>t. Are you not a fan of the music itself or were you just opposing the phrase 'free music'?

I'm a huge fan,

but in my own playing I find when I play 'free' it's definitely a style, and it does get tiring after a while

Comparing The Shape of Jazz to later Coleman albums, not having an underlying motif is not as pleasing

totally unstructured playing works best solo , see Roscoe Mitchell

or it needs very sympathetic players
>>
and I heard Diverse - Tune X for the first time today and the melody swept me off my feet

making things like that is um, you know, worth a hundred hours of blow
>>
>>65164138
There is a time for free music just like there is a time for hard bop
Have you heard Abdul Wadud- by myself?
>>
>>65164918
no , I'm not that well versed in in the last 60 years of individual urban composers

more sort of thinking where I'm going with it

and I don't connect to music as well without buying it and I'm flat broke

like, you could do a set where you travel through, melody, hard-bop, free

and imagine if each composition was separate and identifiable

but in performance you kept a thread

that was unique and separate from recordings; made up that night

right, que up Abdul
>>
so I just heard 10 seconds of 'C'

to me it's where jazz gets into trouble, you have to make sense to people do you know what I mean? because otherwise you're always asking the audience to do a lot of work

It's something that Charles and Thelonius got,

like Bud, all of his music is around his personality as a taught musician

back to Abdul...
>>
>>65165036
>>65165217
I'm constantly looking for new artists because I'm not sure I always want a personality that can be repeated, or recognized like Ornette Coleman. We have different ideologies when it comes to Jazz. I can't see Abdul making someone have to work. To me, his flaws give him a personality of his own. Music doesn't need to be subjected to a legacy
>>
because I've just come up with this melody now and I'd love to share it with you one day

what melody gives is the freedom to go and play

say something to the audience and that should give the freedom
>>
>>65166483
>can't see Abdul making someone have to work
full time job keeping up I'd have thought
>>
>>65166483
>. We have different ideologies when it comes to Jazz.
maybe , I'm trying to get where I want to go

>>65166483
>Music doesn't need to be subjected to a legacy
that's an interesting point

that the music is its own life
>>
>>65166483
>ognized like Ornette Coleman. We hav
yeah I get you, I find this with art, you don't want to know the person in some cases, and sometimes doing so you can end up with less, or it doesn't resolve anything
>>
>>65166558
True, but his detours and distractions make up the overall piece. He doesn't lead to a single point, but he also doesn't go in a direction the listener doesn't expect after getting into the personality of the playing.
>>65166642
>trying to get where I want to go
You're a really patriotic jazz fan
>>65166731
Getting to know the person is great if you like their style. If someone were enough of a fan of Ornette Coleman to listen to his early works to Jazz Fusion works, I'd think knowing what to expect in a completely new record must give the listener the same satisfaction as listening to the same record again.
>>
>>65167193
>He doesn't lead to a single point,
because what I've just played, yeah, I just found it lets me go somewhere else

probably speaking at different purposes here , but the melody then gives the freedom of what to say next, and change it the next time and the next time

and that is a real freedom

explore five conversations in ten minutes

>>65167193
>>trying to get where I want to go
>You're a really patriotic jazz fan
whoosh

>>65167193
>w the person is great if you like their style. If s
I was thinking painting, that the person caught a moment , and that moment will always speak back whenever I look at it for the rest of my life

and that they spent another ten years at the office has nothing to do with it.

it'd be interesting to see if Ornette recorded elsewhere before his name sold record covers. You can tell I'm not as well versed, and I try to keep away from things sometimes
>>
Give me your favorite EAI release. I wanna try some more.
>>
>>65167565
You're a pretty cool guy with some pretty cool ideas on things
>>
>>65169062
English - st
Sunshine has blown
Difference between a fish
>>
>>65167565
>conversations
Woah I forgot that word
>>>trying to get where I want to go
>>You're a really patriotic jazz fan
>whoosh
Patriotic was a weird word choice
>keep away from things
Why keep away?
And I forgot to ask, where do you 'play'
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.