[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
record noob here i'm looking to get my first turntable
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: 71+DVd7qvJL._SL1500_.jpg (187 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
71+DVd7qvJL._SL1500_.jpg
187 KB, 1500x1500
record noob here

i'm looking to get my first turntable and (depending on budget since i'm poorboy) i'm deciding between the LP60 and LP120. Either way, would you guys recommend using the phono preamp already in the turntable or getting an external one? This is the external preamp I'm looking at: http://www.amazon.com/2-Channel-Microphone-Amplifier-Preamplifier-Oxidation/dp/B00WNVZWIO/ref=sr_1_107?ie=UTF8&qid=1462763216&sr=8-107&keywords=preamp+mic
>>
>>65136697
>(depending on budget since i'm poorboy) i'm deciding between the LP60 and LP120
Don't get the LP60.
>>
stick with the one installed, perfectly fine preamp.
>>
>>65137043
I keep hearing mixed opinions on it, is it just the counterweight issue or is there more?
>>
>>65137162
that and you can't replace the cartridge, tonearm is probably crap too, and many people say it plays slightly too fast/slow.
>>
>>65137444
okay, thanks. i'll probably end up splurging for the 120. one more thing if you don't mind- the speakers i'm looking to get (Dayton B652) don't have volume control on them, I'll need to get a preamp in that case correct?
>>
>>65137505
Possibly, is there no volume control on the lp120's preamp?
I used to use a Behringer pp400 preamp; worked great with headphones at least.
You could also snag an older stereo receiver at a yard sale or thrift shop for pretty cheap. Punch the receiver model's name into your smartphone and see what the guys at Audio-Karma have to say about it before you buy anything, just because the quality of many brands seem to decline in the 80's onward.
>>
>>65136697
save for the 120, and use the built-in preamp.
>>
>>65137850
doesn't seem like it. amazon reviews all say to make sure your speakers have a volume control or you won't be able to control it
>>
If you're planning to just listen, stick with the internal preamp. If you want to get serious about dubbing though, you'll eventually want to invest in an external unit to combat noise issues.

That said, SL-1200 MKII or go home, son. You can get not-too-used ones for a reasonable price these days.
>>
And don't listen to the naysayers who only know them as DJ turntables - they're transcription-quality provided you actually know what you're doing.
>>
>>65138318
i only plan on listening, but as I said above the preamp does not have volume control and neither do the speakers I'm looking at, so either I'll get different speakers or a different preamp
>>
>>65138737
get a fucking receiver like a normal human being
>>
>>65138936
any recommendations for a decent starter(s) then?
>>
>>65136697
The LP60 is a bad turntable that will ruin your records. You're probably thinking that since it's the same brand it's just the LP120 without the bells and whistles but it's a bad turntable that lacks a counterweight. You might as well get a Crosley if you're considering the LP60.
>>
>>65138993
I have no idea. Search on amazon or ebay, and make sure it has a phono input. I personally just use an old technics that was laying around.
>>
Pro-ject Debut III or lp120?
>>
>>65139233
bump on this q
>>
>>65139110
>Search on amazon or ebay
I wouldn't recommend this route for a newbie, it's too easy to get burned especially if they wanna fight you on a refund request.
>>65138936
I dunno about new ones, but it's not hard to find a decent vintage one locally.
Yard Sale or Thrift Shop: These places typically don't know what they have. Look for older Sansui, Pioneer, Fisher, Marantz (if you're lucky), Yamaha, or even Sony. Try not to spend more than $30, especially if you can't test it. Heavy weight is usually a good sign.
Indoor Flea Market: You can at least test it out before hand BUT they'll almost always try to rip you off.
Craigslist: Try and do this without getting raped. Don't buy it without testing it first. Good thing is these people usually wanna get rid their stuff so you have room to haggle.

Just cross check the model online before you buy and you'll be fine, you seem to have already have done that with these tt's and preamps.

Oh and if you go the used route, buy DeOxit or something similar, should eliminate any crunch in the knobs. Good luck!

>>65139233
>>65139478
depends. What's your budget, current setup, do you plan on upgrading in the future, etc.
>>
get a vintage technics SL-D or SL-Q listed for parts on ebay, you'll learn a lot by fixing it and they're far better than anything from pro-ject , uturn, or audio technica.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.