[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what's the appeal of this man to 13 year olds? I don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: Kurt Cobain (35).jpg (295 KB, 1600x1031) Image search: [Google]
Kurt Cobain (35).jpg
295 KB, 1600x1031
what's the appeal of this man to 13 year olds?
I don't get it, I tried listening to some of his music, but it's all about of mumbling depressing bullshit.
>>
His lyrics have a very juvenile and immature feel to them and his vocal delivery is like a 13 year old having a meltdown not getting what they want. It's easy to understand to me at least
>>
>>65131308
If you don't like him, why do you have at least 35 pictures of him?
>>
what's the appeal of this man at all?
>>
it appeals to kids that want to feel "different" from the others, so they go to hot topic and buy the apparel and music and act above the rest. and I think the cult like worship of a dead guy is appealing
>>
>>65131308
>what's the appeal of this man to 13 year olds?
I was there, they liked Eminem

didn't give a fuck about him
>>
damn was this photo taken after the fact
>>
prolly bait but Ill reply anyway

This is going to be sentimental so bear with me here. When I heard Nirvana songs on the radio I enjoyed them, and they were good. I actually think my dad may have played nevermind around me (not sure, but it's pretty likely.) So I was familiar with the album somehow. When I started gaining interest in music around age 9 or 10 in fifth grade, one of the first bands I went to was Nirvana. My dad had some of their songs on his ipod so I listened to those, and also owned bleach, nevermind, and in utero. I can't remember which came first, but I basically listened to nevermind and just had this flood of emotions that were beyond my understanding. I think it was partially nostalgia, from Smells Like Teen Spirit, In Bloom, Lithium. All these songs were so familiar to me, and I recognized them all, but it was like I was actually listening to them intently for the first time, discovering it on my own, sitting in my room with headphones on. There is some innate youthfulness to the music, with nevermind especially. I quickly listened to bleach then in utero after, and idk man. I just love Nirvana completely. With nevermind, it's like Kurt was describing the exact feelings I had in a song, but they were like feelings I wasn't even aware of. It was emotional. There were whiny moments, sad moments, energized moments, depressed moments. I was right near the onset of puberty so this was very resonant with my inner thoughts and feelings. It just hits all the right notes, no pun intended.

I'm sure the tragic suicide factor added interest.

Kurt's songwriting/lyrics have this strange capability of being able to speak to people of different age groups. For a 10 year old, it was just like yeah this is good rock music, it's catchy, it's intelligent, but also visceral and primal. It's clever, but also childlike. Revisiting now, it's familiar, but also has opened up to new interpretations and meaning due to my own experiences.
>>
>>65131308
>what's the appeal of this man to 13 year olds?

It's called Maketing.
>>
>>65131421

Trying to feel "different" than those kids who try to feel different.
You're the same.
>>
>>65131350
His lyrics (especially In Utero) are actually really interesting to listen to. It's a little doorway to his mind, which is not interesting to people because 14-year-old girls have that same "so depressed" stance nowadays. The point Kurt was another level of that.

You know those kind of people who act depressed, you think they just try to act cool and be different. But they can't help that: they are just miserable, whining, insecure cunts. It's a mental state. Kurt was like this before it got exposed on tumblr and everyone got allergic to it.

That is why In Utero is interesting to me. It's the album that made that mindset.

>I'm so tired I can't sleep
>I'm anemic royalty

>Teenage angst has paid off well
>Now I'm bored and old
>>
File: Thom-Yorke_3510156b.jpg (49 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
Thom-Yorke_3510156b.jpg
49 KB, 620x387
what's the appeal of this man to 13 year olds?
I don't get it, I tried listening to some of his music, but it's all about of mumbling depressing bullshit.
>>
>>65131350
If you want to put it simply like that, I suppose your right.

But, if you're honest with yourself, you'd admit that his lyrics are clever (after bleach that is)

I think minimizing their body of work to just say they were whiny is really not doing them justice.

Listen to songs like Negative Creep, or Hairspray Queen.

Not only is it interesting to see the pure VARIETY in Kurt's songwriting, it's fucking manic.

I remember my friends were into slipknot and I just was like ehhhhh. I found them so gimmicky, and yet my friends were just enamored with them. It felt very fake. Very contrived rage.

When I hear a song like Negative Creep, I hear someone with some genuine pain. Still, to this day, I've never heard a singer scream like Cobain did. Throat-tearing screams. Sincerity. And that stuff resonates with people.

There is a reason, I believe, that rock legends big up Nirvana, and that's because they captured what rock and roll was.

>>65131421
Maybe your gen. I don't know how old you are, but I mean Nirvana wasn't cool in my age group necessarily. I had a couple of friends who listened to them (who are total rock nerds), but most of my friends were into nu-metal type stuff, or rap. The hot topic bands were really MCR, Slipknot, SOAD
>>
>>65131308
He's wearing a Blue Cheer shirt
>>
>>65131804
people younger than 40 listen to Radiohead?
>>
>>65131808
good pasta
>>
>>65131841
>people younger than 40

that's their entire fanbase
>>
>>65131308
>depressing
did you even listen to his music?
>>
>>65131951
My immediate thought. Most of his lyrics are pretty hilarious to me.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.