[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why was this decade so based?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1
File: slang-1970s.png (110 KB, 526x351) Image search: [Google]
slang-1970s.png
110 KB, 526x351
Why was this decade so based?
>>
flared trousers allow testicles to breathe
>>
The 70s should be divided into three periods - 1970-71 (60s leftovers), 1972-76 (real 70s), and 1977-79 (disco/New Wave/punk).
>>
>>65129093
>real 70s
Explain?
>>
>>65129217
Before the oiks took over.
>>
The influences from the 60's combined with the Vietnam war and all the other fucked up stuff that happened during that period made for much more mature, darker and all round interesting music

Well, that's part of it anyway
>>
>>65129217
hard rock, prog, ballads, southern rock, early metal, glam, funk, etc.
>>
Unfortunately this decade is also when buttrock was born (eg. Doobie Brothers and REO Speedwagon)
>>
Found this on a music forum somewhere.

"I bought both Kiss's S/T and Hotter Than Hell in '74 and quickly returned them. A total disappointment. Kiss were aimed at 11 year olds who thought the Osmonds were too babyish, but who weren't advanced enough for the Eagles or Steely Dan. I can remember at that time thinking how disappointing the rock scene was compared to 4-5 years earlier."
>>
A lot of 60s veterans like the Rolling Stones and The Who did their finest work in the 70s, perhaps a testament to maturity and experience. On the other hand, yeah...corporate buttrock definitely became a thing. Certainly it gives pause for thought that the Ramones' S/T sold like 1000 copies while REO Speedwagon sold records by the truckload, but then again, which of the two bands is more fondly remembered today?
>>
A lot of hard lessons were learned then, chiefly how much the ideals of the 60s got corrupted and how fast corporate America realized how they could exploit peace, love, and music for $$$.
>>
70s was mostly disco, krautrock and some proto ambient.
one of the worst decades easily.
>>
>>65131169
Early metal? Prog? Proto-Punk?
>>
>>65131169
>was mostly
and then the tons of other genres that were created
>>
>>65131111
Uh huh. Now you can also see how much many of the big rockers like the Stones quickly succumbed to the temptations of the mid-70s.

"The Rolling Stones aren't a rock band, they're a corporation."

-- Johnny Rotten
>>
I don't really know that it is based.

If you went to see most of the music that was available, it was these mediocre, bland hard rock bands. Those were what dominated youth culture. Some were great, like Led Zeppelin, The Who, and the Faces, but for each of those, there were tons of awful ones.

The early punk scenes were awesome, but they were also tiny. If you weren't in a city like New York, London, or Manchester, most people didn't give a shit. Glam Rock was cool, but it wasn't a scene - the clothes were too expensive, and the fans were too prone to celebrity worship. Industrial was starting, but it was completely unknown, and there was pretty much no chance to find out about it. Even if the industrial musicians were your neighbors, you were unlikely to know about it - it was a network of artists in California, Northern England, and Australia sending each other their weird noise experiments. The German "krautrock" bands were also very esoteric. The seventies were also a creative peak for jazz musicians like Charles Mingus and Miles Davis, but enthusiasm for jazz was also waning among audiences.

The 70s seem based because we forget it was 90% shit, and mostly the good stuff is what's lasted. But really, I'd say it was a transition period when a lot of interesting ideas were just starting. Genres like punk, industrial, house, hip hop, and so on would swell and explode in the 80s. Meanwhile, for the most part 70s music and pop culture generally lacked the radicalism of the late 60s. Sure, the Sex Pistols were saying mean things to the queen, and Crass were busking, but that's pretty pathetic in comparison to the MC5 playing Democratic National Convention protests.
>>
Yeah the Stones sold out hard though that's not surprising given that Mick Jagger's primary goal in life is making as much money as he can. That's why he didn't like EOMS - it didn't have any hit singles.

Artists who didn't sell out in the 70s: Al Green, Neil Young, George Clinton, Steely Dan, Joni Mitchell, Bruce Springsteen, David Bowie
>>
>>65131376
>The German "krautrock" bands were also very esoteric
If you'd heard the early Scorpions albums, those very much fit the mould, but by In Trance they'd just become generic buttrock.
>>
>>65131376
>Meanwhile, for the most part 70s music and pop culture generally lacked the radicalism of the late 60s.

Especially black music, most of which was limited to cheesy pop and disco numbers without the depth of the 60s stuff. A lot of it was due to the protest movement winding down, also latent racism at record companies who encouraged black artists to produce mindless, inoffensive fluff (George Clinton being one of the few who kept doing black power/social commentary).
>>
>>65131376
>The seventies were also a creative peak for jazz musicians like Charles Mingus and Miles Davis, but enthusiasm for jazz was also waning among audiences
And then Miles Davis went around back them declaring himself one of the inventors of both rock and funk.
>>
>>65131538
>Especially black music

yeah who gives a shit
>>
>>65131749
>>>/pol/
>>
watched a documentary on the 70's and this dude claimed that no matter what Genre its best music was made in the 70's which I kinda guess is true

You had the introduction of metal, punk, rock ballads, and prog rock

thats also the decade when the super star rock band really blew up

in the 60's the Beatles played Shea stadium and that was an insane huge show for the time but by the 70's rock bands selling out stadiums became the norm
>>
>>65131763
actually far from it

I simply don't like black music apart from jazz.
I can't give any less on well they're doing when judging a period.
>>
>>65130731
>>65130336
The unfortunate thing is that by the time Reagan was president, the Doobie Brothers and REO Speedwagon's recording careers had gone on for longer than the Beatles. Bands like these were engineered almost entirely for the radio; their albums were simply wrappers for the hit singles and their B-sides were just filler.

As easy as it is to hate on the Eagles, I would say they weren't quite as disgraceful as REO or Styx because they didn't actually become corporate whores until album #4 (Bernie Leadon left because he accused his bandmates of being sellouts).
>>
>>65128826
Mostly because of Wings.
>>
>>65131793
Old guy with nostalgia, I'd imagine.

The 70s was the period of prog rock, so no argument there. But I can't see how anyone can possibly argue that the 70s was the best for metal. Yeah, there were classics like Black Sabbath, but in the 70s metal was must doomy hard rock. In the 80s it diversified and became fleshed out in tons of different directions, from doom metal bands that followed Sabbath to thrash and extreme metal bands that laid the ground work for genres like black metal. In the 90s those genres really developed.
There were a lot of great punk bands early on, especially in NYC, but each of those inspired a bunch of great bands in the 80s and 90s, which led to everything from noise rock to screamo.
The term "rock ballad" is useless now because everything from slowcore to shoegaze has that soft, sensitive sound.
>>
>>65131887
Metal in a sense didn't get going until the Carter years.
>>
And of disco? Well, that happened when rock had stopped being something you could party to with the possible exception of Kiss. Disco was based more around instrumental hooks and grooves than singing and there was a seemingly endless supply of church choir-trained black vocalists for it.
>>
just picking ten records at random

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVCkmIwRrc0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmqvgcw4bec
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n85EJMJDYQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UadnBdtjIiI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgqiVrpT-8Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdXUIoDWwfI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25wvBNJ3vFc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp3vb95TRdE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEHqVjjxlOQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_SINw2QTms

that's why it was great
>>
>>65131887
Yeah it also comes down to a lot of personal opinion. I love Black Sabbath and don't really like other metal ( i like Dio and dabbled in thrash for a while) but Sabbath is king for me

Also the punk scene gets a little underrated cause most people just know about the Clash and the Ramones which are good bands don't get me wrong but most people don't even know about proto-punk or early OI!
>>
>>65131229
i don't consider dad rock as music
>>65131255
quantity over quailty?
>>
>>65131829
If you like any modern music that uses drums and bass the way 99.999% of the music does today, you like black music.
>>
>>65132047
let's say I don't like music black people like then
>>
Most of that early-to-mid-70s proto metal like Sabbath, Rainbow, and Uriah Heep was an outgrowth of certain counterculture trends especially the popularity of Tolkien among British kids back then. It was still quite close in tone to 60s psychedelia, but in the late 70s as punk took over, the hippified Tolkien crud disappeared or evolved into the 80s-style Dungeons & Dragons schlock that characterized NWOBM.
>>
>>65131835
Actually the Eagles are much worse because nobody ever pretended that REO Speedwagon were serious artists or anything more than product while people continue to eat up the crap that Don Henley pulls from his butt.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.