[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This album honestly gets better every single fucking time I hear it.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
File: Mount Eerie.jpg (125 KB, 1236x1210) Image search: [Google]
Mount Eerie.jpg
125 KB, 1236x1210
This album honestly gets better every single fucking time I hear it.
>>
BIG
>>
>>65121964
I know you're out there.
>>
File: universe.png (684 KB, 1516x1296) Image search: [Google]
universe.png
684 KB, 1516x1296
>>
Which Phil album do I listen to if I want more of the quiet folk songs like Solar System?
>>
>>65122688
The Glow Pt. 2 and It Was Hot, We Stayed in The Water
>>
>>65122750
The Glow Pt. 2 totally pulled the rug out from under me though

It starts off with acoustic but then it feels like 90 percent of it is more of the noise rock shit which isn't bad but it was certainly not what I expected
>>
>>65122810
True, which is why It Was Hot is more your style I think. The Pull has a bit of the noise stuff, but the rest of it is quite mellow and nice. Don't Wake Me Up also is very similar. All of his stuff has that element of noise in it though. Well, all of The Microphones. I am not as invested in his Mount Eerie discography to tell you which ones of those are more folksy, but I'm sure there is at least one.
>>
>>65122688
>>
i usually go through cycles where i listen to that album an immense amount, especially while doing school work

i like the idea of an album telling a consistent story with reoccurring themes and rhythms, where it almost completes full circle from the beginning to the closing track

yet albums like these can get pretty showtunesy/theatrical easily, in a cheesey way

honestly another album thats a really great play through is To Pimp A Butterfly with that goddamn poem build up throughout the album

any reccs?
>>
>>65123010
Nonagon Infinity, though musically and thematically VERY different from Mount Eerie and TPAB, is similar in the other ways you described. Musically very repetitive and "theme"-y. Repeats but in an interesting and creative way. It doesn't tell a story with words, but musically forms a sort of endless loop of punky garage jams.

Also, he gets memed pretty hard, but Twin Fantasy by Car Seat Headrest tells a pretty cohesive story.
>>
>>65122810
>>65122915
Clear moon is a good folksy Mount eerie album, I haven't listened to too many either though
>>
>>65123010
check out hissing fauna by oM- there's a clear lineage of acceptance -> transformation by the album's end and it's a great record to throw on when doing schoolwork (especially math, for me kevin's lyrics are too dense to try and do english type stuff to)
>>
>>65123066
i heard King Gizzards album and didnt really like it all too much
the songs blended into each other like a wall of noise which i wasnt vibing all too much

something like Since I Left You does that whole blending each song together pretty well, and Twin Fantasy has been a favorite for years now

as much as a fucking dumb meme its become, Fishmans' Long Season does it pretty fucking right too, and ive loved that record for years now too
>>
I hate this fucking dog shit album so much.
>muh mumbly teenager monologue
>muh feels
The fact that you faggots could be impressed by this piece of shit at all is a testament to the scarcity of your experience with music. The day I listened to this album was the day I realized /mu/ is full of underaged faggots with shit taste. It's a literal 3/10 and the only reason I don't think it's a 2 is that the drum loop sounded neat.
>>
>>65124173
What the fuck are you smoking, bud? The album is, dare I say, objectively musically interesting and adventurous. The lyrics are very imaginative and emotive. The vocal arrangements are utterly choice, and the production compliments the music very well. I know that you were just fishing for responses, and I doubt that you've even heard the album based on your poor description of it, and your use of the word 'faggots.'
>>
>>65124173
Not trying to just namedrop here and hide behind a reviewer but Piero Scaruffi gave it a 7.5/10 which is pretty high praise from him, and he has probably listened to more music than anyone in this thread.

In terms of actually arguing in favor of this album, I'd say that this album is one of the most coherent and powerfully phrased concept albums I've heard. The album's message is carried in the production, the structures of the songs, the dynamic present in the songs, the images conjured up by the sound themselves, and obviously the lyrics. To sum this album up as "mumbly teenager monologue" is simply ignorant. First off, most music is a monologue unless they have multiple singers, which most modern bands don't. Also this is an album with multiple singers, so it isn't even a monologue. So not only would that criticism be misguided if it were accurate, it isn't even correct. Also to argue that it's bad cause it elicits an emotional response is stupid. Very good music has often caused people to have emotional responses. Listen to Chopin and you'll obviously feel something that doesn't make his music worse, if anything it adds value. I'm not saying emotional power is the only thing to judge music on, but it is definitely not something to count against an album. Also, on this point again, this album isn't even good cause of the emotional impact for me, it's more of the philosophical message carried in the album about mortality and how well that message is delivered as I mentioned earlier. It's not a sob story about a lost love or anything and it doesn't really romanticize anything, it just presents Phil Elverum's view of what death is in a compelling way. Its value definitely doesn't rest in its emotional power, if anything that's where the Glow Pt. 2 excels. You seem incredibly misguided to be writing these remarks. Either that or you're trolling. Either way you're wasting your time.
>>
this album is an utter 10/10
>>
File: 1463357609230.png (198 KB, 470x342) Image search: [Google]
1463357609230.png
198 KB, 470x342
>>65124173
>The fact that
>>
File: Lost_Wisdom.jpg (21 KB, 352x352) Image search: [Google]
Lost_Wisdom.jpg
21 KB, 352x352
>>65122688
listen to phil's best album
>>
>>65122915
you really should listen to more mt eerie stuff then, the difference between the projects is negligible.

>>65122688
lost wisdom and no flashlight. most of his albums have quiet folk moments.
>>
>>65122688
live in copenhagen
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.