[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does my rhythm playing sound so tense and awkward? Even when
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: 1424502442212.jpg (44 KB, 988x988) Image search: [Google]
1424502442212.jpg
44 KB, 988x988
Why does my rhythm playing sound so tense and awkward? Even when it's in time. How do I get good feel? I have to record in my band soon
>>
>Because ur shit m8
>>
>>65117859
well then how should I be practicing?
>>
>>65117678
Probably your guitartone m8. Get a good tone and everything you play will sound a lot better
>>
>>65117678
Post your playing and I'll give it a considered listen

I continue to find rhythm the most challenging aspect of playing an instrument
>>
>>65117678
>How do I get good feel?
You gotta feel what you`re playing. Ya feel?
>>
>>65117678
>Even when it's in time
Found the problem. It's not in time.
>>
>>65117678
It may just be you, get a second opinion.
>>
>>65117678
What instrument do you play?
>>
>>65117678
If you're sounding jarry and awkward, almost off beat, it means you haven't practiced enough.

You aren't playing it quite in time, your notes are slightly off. This is fixed through practice. Play with a metronome, if you're still struggling, slow it down.

With practice your muscle memory will kick in a play it all in the right timing. That's why artists are "smooth" or "clean". They've practiced to the point where there's no thinking, they just no what they're doing.

If this isn't the problem reply and tell me what is, I can most likely help, I've been teaching multiple instruments for years.
>>
>>65118517

Well I can't help you if you don't respond, threads been abandoned.
>>
>>65118517
Thank you for the advice, how long should i stay on a certain bpm? Is it something i should practice for a couple days before speeding it up or all in one sitting?
>>
>>65119457
b-bump
>>
>>65119470
Always practice slightly slower than you can play. This way you can continuously play whatever you are practicing. The continuous motion of playing it over and over again will train your muscle memory.

Again what instrument do you play?
>>
OP, I open up my DAW and loop through a verse/chorus/verse over and over, playing my guitar along with it. I find that when I go to record I sometimes get nervous and lose the mojo I had, but the more I do this, the better I've become. It really just takes time and practice. DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED. Your goal should be to play like how you wanna play, not feel intimidated by your inability to play it. Guitar is NOT an inherent gift. People blabber about Steve Vai being such a prodigy? He practiced like 8 hours a day to get his chops. You dont have to do that much. I am for like 30 minutes or an hour at minimum.
>>
>>65119733
Alright this helps, thanks and guitar
>>
>>65119863
Tom morello used to practice guitar 8 hours a day while studying at Harvard.

Practice makes perfect.

>>65119871
Mm yeah the jarred sound will be just slow fingers or something. Keep up the practice man, that's all there is too it.

People always whinge and complain they aren't getting anywhere and that they don't know how to learn properly. Those people look up tabs and practice less than ten minutes a day. I practice 2-4 hours a day, depending on how much time I have. It's all it takes man.

Check out Justinguitars too, great free guitar lessons.
>>
>>65117678
Subdivide your strums every two beats, start there. Also play on the 1 and 3, then on the 2 and 4.
>>
>>65117678
Your band's probably shit regardless so don't worry about it.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.