[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Plunderphonics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5
File: sinceileftyou.jpg (18 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
sinceileftyou.jpg
18 KB, 300x300
Plunderphonics, a genre I'm very interested in.
How does one go about making music in this manner? How do you isolate each track? Where do you find what to sample? What programs does one use to sync together the samples? Also, in the thread share other plunderphonics albums.
>>
File: 2698402.jpg.png (627 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
2698402.jpg.png
627 KB, 500x500
Another good example
>>
very high quality genre

DJ Shadow's Endtroducing is the holy grail of plunderphonics, also check out J Dilla's Donuts (both are entry level and popular on /mu/)

whosampled.com is a good resource, you can find most samples by searching for the song.

as for creating songs, I'm not sure what to tell you. there aren't any rules
>>
does this count?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC35WrKC_nY

love the books

i love sample-based house too like andrés, moodymann, theo parrish and others..
>>
File: redeemer.jpg (118 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
redeemer.jpg
118 KB, 1500x1500
>>65110593
gotta smoke alot of weed
>>
>the avalanches
>j dilla
>dj shadow
aaaaand to close the circle of the absolute most basic examples of plunderphonics, check out Negativland's work if you want something slightly more politically charged.
>>
File: 3834033.jpg (101 KB, 452x452) Image search: [Google]
3834033.jpg
101 KB, 452x452
Well, I guess the only real question I have on the topic of creating songs is how the artists isolate the sounds. Is there a program that exists to sample certain parts of an audio file?
Also, pic related is another I've listened to
>>
>>65110916
The sounds often aren't isolated. On Replica, you often hear more than one instrument or sound at once, or voices with them.

Plunderphonics is no different from working with any other samples.
>>
>>65111209
That's actually very interesting. I guess I just assumed that somehow the sounds were isolated. Thanks
>>
>>65110898
i hate that /mu/ doesn't acknowledge John Oswald as the architect of this genre. it's really obnoxious and disappointing that every time this genre comes up, people spam the same three artists, one of whom was just a hip hop producer and made beats with imaginative samples, which isn't even sort of plunderphonic work.
>>
>>65111261
This is true, Oswald coined the term in fact.
>>
>>65111253
Sound isolation is possible, but very difficult to do for some samples. If one instrument is panned hard right, you could isolate it that way. Otherwise, it's just a matter of accentuating it with EQ.
>>
Solex and People Like Us are some less mentioned artists in the genre I like. People Like Us is in the same line as Negativland withe the sound collage and such while Solex makes stuff closers to pop songs with samples.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.