[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does patrician music always sound so awful?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 1
File: thurston please stop.jpg (133 KB, 1024x680) Image search: [Google]
thurston please stop.jpg
133 KB, 1024x680
Why does patrician music always sound so awful?
>>
there's no such thing as patrician
>>
>>65104086
/thread
>>
/mu/ can't handle anything they like being popular, so they label stuff that isn't popular patrician to make themselves feel better and convince them that they're better than everyone else
>death grips
>>
>>65104608
>death grips
>not popular
>>
>>65104618
They're popular with /mu/, I've never met anyone irl who's even heard of them
>>
>>65104637
They're pretty well-known in music circles. David Bowie claimed to be inspired by them before he died, Bjork, St. Vincent, and most of Odd Future also claim to like them. They're not obscure by any means.
>>
>>65104637

make friends then. I know 10+ people who know about them and I'm not a special snowflake
>>
>>65104713
David Bowie listened to To Pimp A Butterfly a lot before he made backstar, and /mu/ hates that
>>
>>65104744
>there is no geographic variation when it comes to what music is popular
>>
>>65104744
I also have loads of friends and I've bever even met anyone who knows them.
Maybe it's because I'm from Europe
>>
>>65104764
Well, in the internet age that's much less of a factor than it's ever been
>>
>>65104785
Is that supposed to be a counter argument or just a random fact?
>>
death grips is only popular around faggots who spend their live on vice/pitchfork related websites
normal ppl don't care about them
>>
>>65104086
first post best post
>>
>>65104752
What point are you trying to make you retard
>>
>he can't stomaxh all the 10/10 free jazz put out on Actuel

Sonny Sharrock's ghost laughs at you
>>
>>65104811
You can find people in Nicaragua who listen to Death Grips. You're overplaying the importance of geographical differences in youth culture.
>>
>>65104637
Ive met a couple people. You cant deny their popularity in the real world. The had a song used for an adidas commercial. Their music was also used in Bojack Horseman. They were set to open for NIN. David Bowie cited them as an influence on his last album. Tom Morello took notice of them, Eric Andre, Mike Shinoda, and Iggy Pop did too. DG isnt my favorite group but they are popular outside of 4chan and reddit.
>>
>>65104924
>You can find people in Nicaragua who listen to Death Grips.
Yeah 'cause I totally implied that you couldn't.
>You're overplaying the importance of geographical differences in youth culture.
No I'm not.
>>
>>65104073
How autistic is that guy?
>>
>>65104963
Shut the fuck up, my man. Not into your backpedaling and semantics.
>>
>>65104932
they have no popularity in the real world
your mom dad and majority of college kids. don't know about them
their fb only has
278,386 likes
compared to vampire weekend's 2m
>>
>>65104924
Like.. how out of touch do you have to be to believe this?
You seem like the "never left the village" type.
>>
>>65104999
How the fuck am I backpedaling?
>>
>>65105014
Don't worry, backpedaling seems to be a new word /mu/ has picked up.
>>
>>65105030
Its been a staple of 4chan rhetoric since early days. Absolutely savage your opponent's argument by implying they are returning to address an earlier point of discussion.
>>
>>65105008
Kids in Chile listen to Adele and Radiohead along with more local artists, my man. I've been. No reason to project your own parochial outlook onto me.
>>
>>65105002
It's all relative, just because Radiohead isn't as popular as Beyonce doesn't mean they aren't extremely popular by most music listeners' standards.
>>
>>65105107
classic backtracking after getting btfo
same with radiohead more people know beyonce
my family and friends don't know them either
>>
>>65105099
>Adele and Radiohead
Yeah, you know, death grips level of fame.
>>
>>65105014
You started by suggesting that musical taste is influenced by geography, and I said not as much as it used to be thanks to the internet, and used the example of Death Grips being listened to in Central America. You then tried to discredit my claim by saying that you never said that no one in Nicarangua listened to Death Grips, despite the fact that I never said that you did. So you backpedaled from an absolute general remark, to a qualified remark.
>>
>>65105099
You haven't at all qualified your assertion that >You're overplaying the importance of geographical differences in youth culture
Thats a bold thesis. I'm interested to hear where you're coming from because, while I've had some amusing experiences singing Bieber's "Baby. Baby" with in-patients at a HIV management facility in Cambodia, and getting down to "Gangnam Style" in clubs all over Asia, even in Bangladesh and Laos, I would argue that these instances of cultural pollination occurred within the context of, and as adjunctive developments within, autochthonous 'youth culture'.
>>
>>65105213
>You then tried to discredit my claim by saying that you never said that no one in Nicarangua listened to Death Grips, despite the fact that I never said that you did
If I didn't even imply that no one in "Nicarangua" listen to Death Grips — and I didn't — than the fact that some of them do isn't a counter argument to anything I said.
>>
>>65105156
James Bond soundtrack and topping all charts ever and one of the most acclaimed rock bands of all time has nothing on...

GUILLOTINE!!!!
>>
>>65105156
DG have played to sold out shows in Ireland and Moscow. People from Central America also post on /mu/ and have last.fm accounts
>>
>>65105294
Which means that there isn't a big difference in fame.
>>
>>65105294
Nobody would fly airplanes for fun ... but I can build the next Facebook from my apartment.
>>
>>65105294
I think you fail to realize that these individuals are extreme outliers in their cultural sphere. The very fact that they know enough English and have sufficient Internet access following contemporary North American popular music sets them at the top of their society with regards to their economic and social status. The Latinos you see posting on /int/ that seem highly inculcated with regards to North American culture are a great example of the social outliers I am talking about.
>>
>>65105294
>>65105332
There a monumental difference in fame, if you believe anything else /mu/ has completely brainwashed you.
>>
>>65105278
You ridiculed that other guy by saying that geographic variation is the reason why his friends might know DG and yours don't, implying that for two people speaking English on the same message board cultural cross-pollination can't be a factor.
>>
>>65105294
You wouldn’t just fly airplanes for fun, but it’s completely possible to create the next Facebook from the comfort of my own apartment.
>>
>>65105359
Never said that there wasn't.

>>65105333
Cool

>>65105352
English i the lingua franca of the entire planet; billions of people speak it. The notion that they're cultural outliers is an absurdly myopic view of foreigners, and betrays your lack of travel. Also, you don't have to speak English to listen to Adele.
>>
>>65105362
4chan most likely has a bigger userbase in the US. And I really think DG is way more known in the US than in Europe.
>>
>>65105434
That could be true, but I just said that that's less of a factor now than it's ever been, and will continue to be less of a factor as time goes on.
>>
>>65105430
> never said that there wasn't

You did use the fact that Adele and Radiohead are known in Chile to make a point that Death Grips are also very known, as if those are comparable.
>>
>>65105268
>autochthonous 'youth culture'.
My entire point is that this is an oxymoron. There are Harley clubs in the Philippines and elements of Japanese culture that have disseminated across the globe. Local culture is being destroyed by imperialistic media practices, and has been for nearly a century.
>>
>>65105473
I said that the notion that a Western artist wouldn't be known in Central America is ridiculous. I didn't meet any DG listeners in Chile, but I only know of a few in the States. It's less geographic than whether or not you're familiar with Western underground music period. I'm sure there are NMH fans in Central America, and i'm sure they've heard of DG.
>>
>>65105362
>yours don't
I haven't said anything about what my friends listen to.
>implying that for two people speaking English on the same message board cultural cross-pollination can't be a factor
What is this even supposed to mean?
>>
>>65105616
>period
persuasive
>>
>>65104637
I know a lot of people irl who have heard of them, they just hate them. Most of their albums have gone on the billboard 200 at some point so they're not exactly un-popular
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.