[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What exactly is the difference between hard rock and metal? This
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: 58955.png (142 KB, 1106x441) Image search: [Google]
58955.png
142 KB, 1106x441
What exactly is the difference between hard rock and metal? This has never quite been clear to me.
>>
You'll know it when you hear it. It's hard to explain, but hard rock has a different groove and flow to it than metal.
>>
simply put, metal is the hardest rock known to man
>>
>>65103729
Diamond is harder son
>>
Hard rock is dadder than metal

The most important distinction is that no one ever labels Nickelback heavy metal
>>
>>65103762
My dick is harder son
>>
>>65103784
>Hard rock is dadder than metal

Ignoring of course notable dadmetal bands Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, and Metallica?
>>
>>65103835
All of those bands have done great stuff and do not deserve the insulting dadrock title
>>
He's talking about bands like Bachman Turner Overdrive. Most of the dadmetal canon >>65103835 have fans ranging from their 20s to their 50s, but almost nobody born after 1960 listens to bands like BTO.
>>
>>65103991
>>65103835
Here's the thing. Sabbath and Priest are not _quite_ as dadrock as the Rolling Stones or BTO because metal is still being made and young guys are still listening to it. There's no modern band that does anything like the Stones.
>>
>>65104213
>>65103991
BTO weren't necessarily targeting the kids back in the 70s - their fans were late 20s-30s rednecks. It's kind of an interesting phenomenon, but in the 70s, the original rock-and-roll generation who came up in the 50s were now 30 year olds with jobs and families and these kind of groups like BTO and Bob Seger's band found they could target that demographic.

Whereas Sabbath, Alice Cooper, Iggy Pop - you had to really be into the youth culture at that time to "get" them.
>>
I agree. Hard rock is pretty dead. Were Clutch the last notable band of the BTO school?
>>
Hard rock is more bluesy than metal.
>>
But lots of dadmetal like Maiden has bluesy sounds.
>>
hard rock is what we call bands that used to be considered metal back in the day before metal evolved into its own genre. and subsequently future bands that are of relative heavyness to those bands now classified as hard rock.
>>
If it has harsh vocals (screams, growls, etc.) and heavily distorted guitars, it's probably metal.
If the vocals are nearly all clean (sung) and the guitars are lightly distorted or overdriven, it's probably hard rock.
These are guidelines, not rules. I can think of exceptions to both.
>>
>>65105559
Hard rock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9du4oCHYAE

Metal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9kT37eIkaY

Got that?
>>
>>65106189
Heavy metal seems to be more aesthetically appealing somehow.
Like it has this sort of air of maturity around it.

Metal feels like "teenager music" no matter how old it is.
>>
>>65106385
...because metal is all about witches and dragons crud while hard rock isn't?
>>
I wanted to link some Judas Priest, but some copyright bot took all of it off Youtube.
>>
Hard rock is usually lighter than heavy metal, hence the name "heavy"
>>
>>65106512
Aw, fuck.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.