[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best instrument and why is it lute?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: lute.jpg (249 KB, 1379x800) Image search: [Google]
lute.jpg
249 KB, 1379x800
What is the best instrument and why is it lute?
>>
Mandolin. I played it for the first time last time and it was so cool
>>
>>65101437
Based lute gets to be best instrument for the week.
>>
>>65101537
>I played it for the first time last time
wut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2zbAO5_jCE
>>
File: shamisen.jpg (190 KB, 625x457) Image search: [Google]
shamisen.jpg
190 KB, 625x457
>>65101437
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWJrMA3zJ5o this solo is sick af
>>
>>65101677
Sorry, I meant to say last month
>>
It isn't. That would be guitar, toad.
>>
It's obviously the sitar.
>>
lute is a terrible instrument.
>>
the laptop
>>
>>65101706
Why? Also you're wrong.
>>
the 808
>>
I'm not a historian, but the lute was like THE string instrument before the Mexican acoustic guitar was invented right?
>>
>>65101738
Bigger than violin?
>>
The lyre is.
>>
>>65101738
>>65101738

lute/oud player here.

basically the lute came from the middle east, was called and is still called "oud" in semitic languages, which means "wood", and had other names for persians like rebab if i remember correctly. Turks arabs and persians still fight over who invented it first. During the crusades, europeans imported the idea of also carving this half egg shaped instrument because its echo sounded nice as fuck, From the 12th century to the 16th the european lute pretty much ressembles the oud, then they added more and more frets it became the renaissance lute, and in the 17th century the so called baroque lute had so much strings and frets that it stopped beeing played mid-18th century for beeing a too complicated ass intrument.

The guitar however existed before the lute in europe in form of a "citarra" ( just google it, there are many forms of it and other names since there was no standardized instrument making up to the 18th century roughly ), also evolved like the lute or a pokemon so to say, with even more strings always more frets, was way less expensive and basically for hobos playing on the street. A lute costed approx. a horse in medieval and modern europe, so it wasnt for everyone. the lute was to guitar what guitar is to didgeridoo today. guitar was just to pluck some chords and sing nirvana to get a couple coins. Sadly still is, for most players.

and yes, i am obsessed with music history. I thought it would be a more interesting answer than a wiki article.

thats the puppy I play. ( i m not the faggot on the video btw )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7uQPn0olv0
>>
>>65102187
Thanks for the info.
>>
>>65101437
Because it is

>>65101537
probably the coolest modern instrument

>>65101695
this is cool too, check out the chinese pipa

>>65102187
The rebab was the ancestor for the violin. It shared simmilarities with the chinese erhu and the Indian Tar Shehnai. It later turnt into the Rebec, which was basically a 3 stringed violin. Rebec turned into the veille and viola da gamba, the difference being the rebes was a carved out bowl, and the veille and viola da gamba having a 'flat' resonator.

>with even more strings always more frets, was way less expensive and basically for hobos playing on the street
You are probably thinking about the Cittern, which came from the Citole. A 4-course instrument with double strings and 3 strings for the second course. This shares more similarities with a mandolin/bouziki then a lute. though this was played by all classes. because of the freedom given by the drone strings.

Also top tier early instruments
>Crumhorn
>Clavichord
>Portative Organ
>Theorbo
>Baroque guitar

>based john dowland was the GOAT singer-songwriter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su2jKwjUq9A
>>
File: glockenspiel.jpg (153 KB, 1200x539) Image search: [Google]
glockenspiel.jpg
153 KB, 1200x539
>not the glockenspiel
>>
>>65102489
>the glockenspiel
>>
>>65101437
> why is it lute?

It's because it can have the strings running in a plane parallel to the sound table.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.