[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is he overrated?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: aphex.jpg (22 KB, 400x396) Image search: [Google]
aphex.jpg
22 KB, 400x396
I like Aphex Twin. I think the guy is a good producer but i think hes overrated because hes held up as the most influential electronic artist. Ive listened to alot of his stuff and its like 1 out of every 5 songs is good.
>>
>>65101362
he's overrated by newcomers to electronic music. since he's the entry level guy
I love his music but never go nuts over him
>>
yes all massively famous artists are "overrated" thanks for asking
>>
no, and he's not held up as the most influential electronic artist. as one of the most influential, maybe.
>>
>>65101380
>aphex twin
>entry level
>>
>>65101423
???????
every kid in my college who sucks aphex twin dick was previously listening to odd future,mac demarco,death grips and kanye west
he's the entry level guy
>>
>>65101380
>>65101423
i don't think aphex is the first artist people get into when they start exploring electronic music. edm, drum and bass, and electronica are much more accessible.
>>
>>65101455
huh, probably varies by demographic. i go to a super normie university
>>
>>65101423
he's entry level af dude

>>65101362
and yes he's overrated, and a dick too. great artist nonetheless, but that goes w/o saying
>>
>>65101535
>dude
>>>/oudoors/
>>
>>65101423
How is Aphex Twin not entry level lmao

>>65101362
He did pioneer ambient techno, which in the context of techno's evolution is a major stepping stone in the evolution of experimental dance music.
Selected Ambient Works II is also a pioneering work of experimental music through-and-through, not within the confines of dance as the rest of his work is but within the context of experimental ambient itself.
>>
Men have Tim Hecker, Francisco Lopez and Autechre.
Boys have Aphex Twin.
>>
File: image21.jpg (76 KB, 394x704) Image search: [Google]
image21.jpg
76 KB, 394x704
>>65101570
girls too
>>
>>65101610
>no idm gf
I think I might puke.
>>
>>65102617
she's jewish
>>
>>65101506
same, probably less than 5% of people at my school have ever heard of him
>>
If you're a sheltered 4chan fuckwit then yeah, Aphex is entry level

If you're a normal functioning human, then no, he is nowhere near entry level

And he is genuinely amazing. He never went full bore fuckin stupid levels of experimental and I think that's fine for him. Unlike some of Autechre, there's hardly a painful album of his
>>
Aphex is entry-level 'experimental electronic' music, which is generally delivered in an album format, as opposed to much of dance which people are exposed to through mixes and comps and singles and eps and shiiiiit. So when the rockist set gets a taste of that squelchy lush shit they look for an album, not a club, and Aphex is their entry. I dunno what the fuck people are doing nowadays with their EDM YouTube mixes and shit. I grew up in the countryside and was exposed to music through a slow trickle of artist albums as discrete events, with compilations consisting of shitty best-of's, which meant I was indoctrinated in boomer ideology p quick. I think the Internet denizens of tomorrowland are gonna be pretty weird.
>>
>not entry-level

You're all Septics right?

There is no one in the UK over 18 who likes ''''electronic music'''' who doesn't know who Aphex Twin is.
>>
SAW 85-92 - PROPERLY rated
SAW V2 - PROPERLY rated
ICBYD - UNDER rated
everything else until Syro - OVER rated
>>
overrated? nah, he's really good and deserves the acclaim

of the main three, I think BoC are the overrated ones. at any rate, rdj is extremely popular but not overrated. he's like the radiohead of electronic music (or rather radiohead is the aphex twin of rock)
>>
File: A1wDWmG9jRL._SL1500_.jpg (506 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
A1wDWmG9jRL._SL1500_.jpg
506 KB, 1500x1500
"Suppose that a man leaps out of a burning building and lands on a bystander in the street below. Now, make the burning building be Europe, and the luckless man underneath be the Palestinian Arabs. Is this a historical injustice? Has the man below been made a victim, with infinite cause of complaint and indefinite justification for violent retaliation? My own reply would be a provisional 'no,' but only on these conditions. The leaper must make such restitution as he can to the man who broke his fall, and must not pretend that he never even landed on him. And he must base his case on the singularity and uniqueness of the original leap. It can't, in other words, be 'leap, leap, leap' for four generations and more. The people underneath cannot be expected to tolerate leaping on this scale and of this duration, if you catch my drift. In Palestine, tread softly, for you tread on their dreams. And do not tell the Palestinians that they were never fallen upon and bruised in the first place.

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>65103470
>UK
The thing is, the overwhelming majority of electronic music fans in the US are EDM fanatics and nothing else.
>>
>>65101570
ftfy

>Men have Morton Subotnick, Stockhausen, and Charles Cohen
>Man children have Tim Hecker, Francisco Lopez and Autechre.
>Boys have Aphex Twin.
>>
>>65103682
I keep forgetting this board is probably 90% Americans. We should have flags, would make needless arguments a thing of the past if you knew from which vanquished nation anon hailed.
>>
>>65103723
ive only listened to cohen's most recent and the only one i liked was the boy and the snake dance. it's pretty tiresome otherwise. is the rest of his discog any better
>>
>>65103739
yeah no that would bring in /pol/ by the droves
>>
>>65101362
One of his strengths is that he isn't afraid to write a bad song.
>>
>>65103723
Whats a good album from each of the top three?
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.