[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: I don't get it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: barnett.jpg (148 KB, 620x620) Image search: [Google]
barnett.jpg
148 KB, 620x620
ITT: I don't get it
>>
There's nothing to get. It's decent garage-ish indie rock stuff. It's fine if you don't like that though.
>>
ausfailia is apparently 15-20 years behind which is evidenced in other ways as well. Apparently they just got cable like 15-20 years ago.
>>
A distinctive and talented songwriter whose music boasts perhaps the most undistinguished ambient sound quality i've ever heard.
>>
dylanesque
>>
>>65098194
>Apparently they just got cable like 15-20 years ago
nope, that's a lie

>15-20 years behind
I can excuse you for thinking that if all you know is our biggest exports. Go deep and you'll find some artists that are doing things nobody else is doing.
>>
>>65098194
I think you're thinking of Russia. Seriously, I've been there and the mullet is still a popular hair style and everywhere is playing American pop music from the 80s and 90s.
>>
>>65098306
generally speaking. portal for example has been very forward thinking.

ok 25 years ago

either way I insist that cb's popularity is because ausfailia is behind the times. this same exact shit got played to fucking death here in the late 90s. If she was american nobody would know this. She'd literally be about as popular as Superheaven.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhpEteREbtY
>>
Charming vocals + lyrics.
>>
You don't have to like it, but there's not much to get
>>
>>65098346
she had very, very little following outside of Melbourne before she went to America. I have spoken to her then-manager and she said that pitchfork was the catalyst for Courtney blowing up. The only reason she has any critical acclaim is because America ate that shit up, and then Australian media started heralding her as the next big thing, which then spread because of the vast majority that listen almost exclusively to what our national radio plays on high rotation.
>>
>>65098557
ok but melbourne is fucking huge
>>
They're decent songs with cute vocals. Depreston is ace. But the cute thing is big reason #1. Americans think her voice is adorable, like a koala bear if they could talk. Americans won't admit it readily but we really don't understand other countries and we think Australia is adorable on like this really primal level. Olivia Newton John was another example of this.

Big reason #2 is that the rockier songs make us nostalgic for the 90's which were far simpler and better times for the country, culturally speaking. People who dismiss Courtney as unoriginal are missing the point. Of course it's derivative, no one cares. We just miss shit like Liz Phair and The Breeders more than we thought we did.
>>
>>65098706
*understand other countries that well
>>
>>65098722
>toilets flush the wrong way
>celebrate christmas in summer
I think I know all I need to
>>
>>65098557
but the scenes here are insular, and often small. and something that a lot of people don't really talk about too often is that Melbourne's are just that - in Melbourne.
>>
>>65100143
whoops replied to myself, meant for >>65098598
>>
>>65098161
I cannot begin to describe the disdain I have for this sort of music. To be honest, if I focus really hard on the instruments, shut out the vocals and pretend that they were being sung by someone tolerable and with lyrics that aren’t embarrassing, I can potentially see why this isn’t bad. But the truth is that she is there, she is awful, she is unbearably moronic and she does ruin any little bits of skill that the drums or guitars bring in. After one of my friends declared Barnett his “new waifu” I decided to check this out, and after confronting him about this absolute nonsense, he made a comment along the likes of only enjoying it to impress girls at parties. This album is exactly the sort of thing that those teenage girls who listen to “indie” as an image or a statement would lap up. They’ll talk about the bad vocals as “dylan-esque”, and will break into singing quotes from the frankly embarrassing lyrics whenever they can, because they’re SO ME XD, snapping up lines like “I want to wash out my head with turpentine cyanide” as if they’re extremely meaningful poetry. And jesus, I haven’t even mentioned the accent. If there was ever a convincing case for a nuke heading right to the middle of Australia’s eastern coast, this is it. An album filled with nonsense psuedo-meaningful ‘indie’ lyricism, complete with an image you’d expect one of those Sundance films advertised as indie (but actually aren’t), mostly forgettable instrumentation and songwriting, and one of the worst voices you’ve ever heard. Is there anything worse?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.