[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Explain to me why is this so hated and underrated? Definitely
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: A1y8IvOibwL._SY355_.jpg (62 KB, 355x355) Image search: [Google]
A1y8IvOibwL._SY355_.jpg
62 KB, 355x355
Explain to me why is this so hated and underrated? Definitely their most versatile album and great to GOAT songs. On par with OKC, better than Amnesiac, only Kid A and In Rainbows are superior to this.
>>
>>65093362
bloated, every song drags on too long, every song works better live (except maybe Wolf At The Door)

it's certainly mostly great throughout and brilliant at times, but it sounds very much like a band trying a bit too hard to find a sound, which is understandable, not wanting to repeat the relative minimalism of Kid A/mnesiac. But maybe three or four of the tracks shoulda been B-sides.

also the (sub-)title track (The Gloaming) is unnervingly bad on the album, which is a big knock against the album itself
>>
>>65093362
Its very hard to describe, but I think this album came close to their old material like The Bends without sounding too much like it.
This makes people dislike the album because, as Radiohead fans, the primary focus is on what they do differently per each release.
I think it wasn't very radically different, and that killed the album for a lot of people. I personally am a huge fan of this album, however, because I'm not a willy little bitch
>>
>>65093362
It's too cluttered. Every song is good in their own right, but none of them fit together properly. It seems more like a b-sides collection than a studio album.
>>
File: 1462152039220.jpg (18 KB, 320x286) Image search: [Google]
1462152039220.jpg
18 KB, 320x286
>>65093362
It is their best album, and I have stated this before, and I'll continue to defend it:

It has the best opener of any of their albums, it has the best closer too, every song (bar We Suck Young Blood) is enjoyable to listen to. You have a nice mix of feelings - funky Drunken Punchup at a Wedding, spooky The Gloaming, a nice lullaby I Will, etc. - and nothing feels "off", like the middle-end part of OK Computer, for example. It has their most focused concept, and it is easily accessible (I couldn't listen to In Rainbows all the way, but HttT was a breeze and introduced me to Radiohead).

I also like the cover a lot. It feels desolate and pessimistic, yet colorful. It's their strongest album and have no shame saying that.
>>
It's too long for how bleak it is, and it doesn't flow as well together as their other work. The individual stuff is good though.
>>
plebs man
>>
i think it's great
>ranking discographies
i don't do that
>>
too top heavy
>>
I really like Sit Down Stand Up

THE RAINDROPS

Other than that I didn't find it the album as memorable as their others, but I love that track
>>
Kid A and In Rainbows arent better than OKC though.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.