[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DJ Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: beaut.jpg (107 KB, 1500x771) Image search: [Google]
beaut.jpg
107 KB, 1500x771
Alright so I always see the Production thread on /mu/, but I've never seen a thread specifically for people who DJ. Let's talk about it

>What do you spin
>What's your setup like
>Where/how did you learn, or any good resources you can provide to help new DJ's
>What gear are you saving up for

Maybe we could make this a regular thing or something.
>>
It's my dream to start mixing, but I have literally no fucking clue where to even begin, help.
>>
>>65091847
What kind of budget do you have?
>>
>>65091925
Immediately, none. In a month or so I could save up $500ish? I have a laptop, although it's not a Mac, which is what I primarily see professionals use.
>>
>>65092364
You don't need a mac.

Now $500ish is a pretty good budget for a beginner controller if you're looking to go that route as both the Pioneer DDJ-SB2 and DDJ-RB are in the $250-$300 range, and full software will cost at least a hundred bucks. They both come with intro versions of their specific software (SB2 uses Serato DJ and the RB uses Rekordbox) which are more than enough to fuck around in and learn, but you will want the full software eventually.

You'll also need some sort of output, a speaker your line can go through, and something to hook that signal up.

You're nowhere near out of it, but those are the two best basic controllers on the market at the moment. If you're thinking about going CDJs, DVS or vinyl, start saving.
>>
>>65092364
It's worth trying to find used gear.
>>
>>65091847
Build up a decent library of whatever music you intend to mix before you get any gear. Seriously djing is 90% about music selection
>>
general opinion, something I've noticed- it's far easier to play a decent house set than anything else I've played (inc. hip-hop, funk, techno, garage, soul etc.- out of these garage is the hardest imo)
>>
>>65092571
Thanks, this is great. But what from here? Does the software come with tutorials? Do I need to purchase all my songs from iTunes or Beatport to mix them? I know a shitload of music, I just don't own any of it.

Sorry if my responses are sporadic. I'm at work. This has been very helpful already.
>>
>>65093769
See:
>>65093443

Start getting tracks, and never stop. Start with what you're into, and then branch out. The most important thing to the entire process is knowing your music, where certain phrases begin, end, and how long they go on for. I won't tell you how to get your tracks, but you just need to get them, and organize them somewhat decently. Youtube rips are somewhat fine for fucking around by yourself, but if you're ever to the point where you're showing anyone anything you're doing you want 320kbps tracks at the very least.

If you're looking for tutorials, there's an absolute ton on youtube, but here's what I can think off of the top of my head.

This is Beatport's sponsored intro. It works with CDJs, but it's definitely worth checking out as they explain the basics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOMCbeFmQ4I

This is DJTLM's basics, and his channel is great all around.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyDbpeFB2CM&list=PLGzbySB1gPhlfVAKQaSypbcWD6QQFd2LC&index=2

There's a ton more shit out there, but most of it is on you to figure out how you like to do things.
>>
>>65093769
Also, start learning to count. It's pretty obvious you learned it from Sesame Street, but relearn it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFcml2J5ElE
>>
>>65093941
Is there any practice or programs I can use before I get a controller? What kind of equipment and such do I need for sampling? How can I mix using clips of songs, as well as traditional beatmatching? Do I need to invest in a MIDI controller of somekind?
>>
>>65091402
>underground disco, funk, house
>got one turntable, dj using friends equipment and clubs
>got into it from digging for records, thought i'd like to share this with people
>2 sl-1200s and a xone 62
>>
>>65093726
yeah garage is tough with all the syncopation and shit
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.