[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Nick Drake > Bob Dylan
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6
File: cover.jpg (117 KB, 354x347) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
117 KB, 354x347
Nick Drake > Bob Dylan
>>
File: image.jpg (62 KB, 500x496) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62 KB, 500x496
Mark Kozelek > both of them
>>
>>65059007
Literally no one will disagree with you senpai
>>
File: cover.jpg (37 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
37 KB, 500x500
>>65059040
Neil Young > Mark Kozelek
>>
cholera > plague
>>
>>65059007
Here is the problem with your premise, Nick Drake would likely have never made anything if Bob Dylan had not come before.

Bob Dylan invented an entire music genre, process, style, and aesthetic. He was really the first non-jazz or classical musical artist to make albums as a cohesive unit, as opposed to simply a collection of the songs recorded.

He was one of the first to write and perform nearly all of his production.

He was one of the first talk about life - not just love or money or stuff, but actual life - in its grit and splendor; and to present it is a manner that was accessible, hence his enormity.

He took a real poetic approach to the lyrics, not just working to rhyme a couplet, and then layered that onto arrangements that were simple yet moving.

He was also the first artist to change his tune, so to speak. He went electric, He went country, he went shitty.

He is also one of maybe 6 artists ever to actually make meaningful and quality music that also continues to be popular (charting in the top 10) for more than 50 years.

You may like Nick better than Bob and he may be more talented in some aspects, but by any objective standard, there is no equal to Bob Dylan except for maybe Miles Davis.
>>
>>65059007
how can one person be so wrong
>>
File: Waits.jpg (716 KB, 900x1342) Image search: [Google]
Waits.jpg
716 KB, 900x1342
Tom Waits > all of these
>>65059007
>>65059040
>>65059070
>>
kate bush>bjork
>>
>>65059470
>Here is the problem with your premise, Nick Drake would likely have never made anything if Bob Dylan had not come before.

All three Nick Drake albums are included in Rolling Stone magazine’s list of the “greatest LPs of all time”
>>
>>65059007
The problem with the comparison is that Nick Drake didn't live long enough to release as many shitty albums as Dylan has
>>
>>65059763
/thread
>>
>>65059763
>>65059802
Forgot to take the trip off? Fucking pathetic.
>>
>>65059007
Aawww
>>
>>65059007
well, obviously.
>>
>>65059763
I agree with this but as >>65059827
pointed out you're an autistic tripfag
>>
>>65059827
>>65059854
>I can't read
>>
>>65059040

this honestly
>>
>>65059904
I noticed it after I made my post. Still pretty pathetic if you ask me. Trying to make it look like you have fans.
>>
File: tfw.jpg (53 KB, 471x366) Image search: [Google]
tfw.jpg
53 KB, 471x366
>>65059827
>>65059854
that feeling when
>>
>>65059717
Wait - but Dylan has 11 on the list. and 2 in the top 10.

>by any objective standard, there is no equal to Bob Dylan
>>
>>65060100
Normally I'd say that a picture like that doesn't really mean anything, but I think you're actually telling the truth. Your fan is still pretty autistic and you too.
>>
>>65059717
>All three Nick Drake albums are included in Rolling Stone magazine’s list of the “greatest LPs of all time”
Damn then he must be better. As they say: let it be known, if Rolling Stone condones, then you must assent like drones.
>>
>>65059070
Neil Young is boring music for boring people
>>
>>65060100
back when i had a trip i liked to pull stunts like this intentionally. good fun
>>
>>65059470
>He was really the first non-jazz or classical musical artist to make albums as a cohesive unit, as opposed to simply a collection of the songs recorded.
blatantly wrong
>>
>>65060550
Name some
>>
>>65060550
>blatantly wrong
>how?

literally, everything from folk/rock that came before him was just random selected songs. Sometimes they weren't even recorded around the same time. The Freewheelin Bob Dylan is essential the first cohesive LP
>>
>>65060604
>>65060637
>cohesive

define that though. i don't see The Freewheelin Bob Dylan as that thematically focused.

I just don't think Bob Dylan (until maybe Blonde on Blonde) made albums that could be concept albums, or even cohesive thematically focused works, at least moreso than any early Beatles or Beach Boys album

It seems like around 65-66 all three moved towards concept type albums, with a heavy focus on how the flow of the songs affects the listener
>>
>>65059007
no
>>
>>65059007

>can't write lyrics
>can't sing
>hires other people to arrange the songs for him

Literally cri-yourself-to-sleep-at-night core for whiny babies
I'll stick with Dylan, thanks.
>>
>>65062946
this
>>
>>65062946
>cites singing as an important factor
>likes dylan

good one senpai
>>
>>65063082
At least he hits every note and doesn't sing in falsetto like he just had a cry-marathon.
>>
>>65063124
drake hits the notes he wants and doesn't sing in falsetto

also he writes pretty good lyrics
>>
>>65059470
>He was really the first non-jazz or classical musical artist to make albums as a cohesive unit, as opposed to simply a collection of the songs recorded.
Woody Guthrie beat him to this (and Woody wasn't by any means the first)
>He was one of the first to write and perform nearly all of his production.
>He was one of the first talk about life - not just love or money or stuff, but actual life - in its grit and splendor; and to present it is a manner that was accessible, hence his enormity.
>He took a real poetic approach to the lyrics, not just working to rhyme a couplet, and then layered that onto arrangements that were simple yet moving.
Woody Guthrie beat him to this (see Pastures of the Plenty)
>He was also the first artist to change his tune, so to speak. He went electric, He went country, he went shitty.
Miles Davis had already changed his style at least a few times before Dylan arrived.
>He is also one of maybe 6 artists ever to actually make meaningful and quality music that also continues to be popular (charting in the top 10) for more than 50 years.
In popular music, sure.

I'm saying this as someone who considers Dylan his favorite artist and would choose She's Your Lover Now over Drake's entire discography.
>>
>>65063216
>over Drake's entire discography
I had forgotten what this thread was about and thought you meant the rapper first. Chuckled.
>>
>>65060407
Shut the fuck up
>>
>>65060766
Cohesive doesn't necessarily have to be about theme. An album can be cohesive with a nice flow.

Though, again, Woody Guthrie (and Frank Sinatra, Marty Robbins, Johnny Cash just to name a few everybody knows) beat him to this.
>>
Why did singer-songwriter peak in the 60s and 70s
>>
>>65063284
I took it to mean theme, because how else can you identify cohesiveness?

But oh yeah, I forgot about In the Wee Small Hours, that's an even better example (although maybe he'd consider that jazz?)

either way yeah guthrie beat him. would think that that guy would know that, since dylan was super influenced by guthrie
>>
>>65063336
I take cohesiveness to mean how well things fit together. While theme obviously helps with things feeling like they belong together it isn't necessary.
>>
>>65063375
Even though I'll admit that given the context of how the anon was talking about cohesiveness your definition's probably better. My bad.
>>
>>65063375
>>65063395
yeah it's kind of a gray area
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.