[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If albums are meant to be listened to fully, in order, why do
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
If albums are meant to be listened to fully, in order, why do bands never play full albums, in order live?
>>
they do
>>
because live performances aren't the same as studio albums dumbass
>>
>>65049308
Who? When?

>>65049310
You cannot listen to the music from an album out of order, defeats the whole point.
>>
>>65049270
Live gigs are only for money and nothing else
Albums are artistic statements
>>
Because it is just a meme made up by losers who want to justify the fact they literally can't listen to music because somebody didn't put it in a package.
With EP's it's even more autistic as some of them are as long as many rock releases from the 60's
>>
>>65049318
Rush played Moving Pictures as a whole.
I remember it.
>>
>>65049270
they do if they've released amazing records that they haven't topped. Case in point; Yes did their first 5 or so albums all in order in a single show a few years ago. Weezer, Brian Wilson and Springsteen have done the same.
>>
>>65049318
Yes played 'The Yes Album', 'CttE', and 'GftO' I believe 'in their entirety' on a recent tour, so presumably in order.
>>
>>65049270
some do and sometimes the venue only gives them a certain amount of time to perform. so it's always best to play the songs majority of ur fans like.

T. guy in a band
>>
>>65049318
Loads of bands play full albums live. Pink Floyd played DSOTM live in its entirety even before it was released. Slayer plays Reign in blood quite often. Brian Wilson has played Smile in its entirety before, and is playing Pet sounds on this tour. I know Dream theater played their newest album in full this year too. It's a really common thing to do actually.
>>
>listening to albums in order is a meme
How are people this stupid?
>>
File: folder.jpg (95 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
95 KB, 1000x1000
>>65049452
>listening to albums in order is important
How are people this stupid?
>>
>>65049319
I doubt that the musicians on stage are thinking about how much money they make rather than how much fun they are having playing.
>>
>>65049621
yeah man it's so fun playing the same fucking song you've practice 100's of times
infront of a drunk audience thats screaming at you to play the hits.

it becomes a chore after awhile
>>
>>65049654
But doesn't things become a chore when there's no one watching?
>>
>>65049319
Many artists put a significant amount of artistic effort into their live performances. Many live versions of songs are lauded as superior to the album.

A strong example of this, whether or not you like them, is Phish. Their primary focus is the live show, with albums being supplementary.
>>
>>65049821
Phish isn's better live you're just on LSD a lot.
>>
the godspeed you black emperor concert I went to in February, they played the entirety of asunder, as well as three other songs
>>
>>65049907
I don't like Phish at all, they're just a good example of what I was talking about.

Of course, artists do this to varying degrees, but you'll rarely go to a live performance of any touring band and have the same experience you would listening to an album at home. Stage presence, charisma, improvisation and performance skill are all factors go into creating a live experience, and many bands consider their live performances to be equally important as their albums.
>>
>>65049753
Like masturbation?
>>
Generally with concerts they're trying to play a mix of classics and new songs to satisfy old fans and interest new ones. For headlining shows they often do play full albums.

Full album is still the proper way to listen to music btw
>>
>>65049753
not really
but I play in a band and it's not "fun" when the venue hasn't payed you yet and the audience is acting like shitcunts. just wanna play your songs and get it over with.
sometimes equipment is broken or a shitty sound system that makes everything come out as shit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivUqbtumI_Y example
>>
>>65049318
Saw Deafheaven live recently, they played New Bermuda from start to finish and after that they only played like 2 songs from Sunbather. Was a really good show tho.
>>
some songs just dont translate well on stage, you have to account for things like stage presence, crowd control, etc. just play it safe and play hit songs
>>
>>65050051
>Full album is still the proper way to listen to music btw
not all genres revolve around the album you rockist
>>
>>65049318

Brian Wilson just finished up a tour playing Pet Sounds live. Boris are currently playing Pink live in its entirety on their tour. Sleep is known to play Holy Mountain in its entirety. Jesus and the May Chain played Psychocandy in its entirety last year. Those are just recent ones that come to mind.
>>
File: image.jpg (336 KB, 1500x1324) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
336 KB, 1500x1324
>>65049270
But they do
>>
>>65049318
I saw Dinosaur jr on their "bug" tour. Was amazing
>>
>>65049318
>Who

exactly
>>
>>65049270
> never
Pink floyd has done dsotm exactly live
Rush did Moving Pictures front to back live
>>
>>65049318
The Magnetic Fields did 69 Love Songs in its entirety once.
>>
>>65050759
R u SRS?
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.