[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this dude worth getting into? Where the fuck do I start?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: zappa smirk.jpg (55 KB, 490x567) Image search: [Google]
zappa smirk.jpg
55 KB, 490x567
Is this dude worth getting into? Where the fuck do I start?
>>
If you like classic rock you might like mothers of invention
if you like prog then apostrophe
if you like funny stuff joe's garage
>>
Avant-sporkcore, don't bother.
>>
File: Zappa Chart.jpg (2 MB, 1485x950) Image search: [Google]
Zappa Chart.jpg
2 MB, 1485x950
>>65046057
He's not for everyone, and while I don't think he's the best artist every or anything, but I think he put out more good worthwhile than anyone.

He was extremely innovative, especially in the mid-sixties, and has something for about everyone.

My advice: Listen to Freak Out, Hot Rats, and Apostrophe.

If you like the experiemtnal early stuff, try out his early material and stuff with the Mothers.

If you like the jazzier stuff, try out his early 70s output/later mothers stuff.

If you liked the comedic parts, that's like half of his discography so good luck.

I did the dude's discog a while back (took around a month) and these were my favs. Everything in the top two sections are worth it for everyone imo

>>65046089
this also

>>65046092
meme
>>
>>65046057

People tend to forget that he could really play guitar.

Check out "Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar".

There's some amazing musicianship (guitar and everything else, too) on that!
>>
The beginning.
>>
>>65046057
A lot of his stuff is avoidable, but he made a fucklot of masterpieces so yes.
>>
>>65047312

don't forget Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar Some More

those are my go to albums when I can't figure out what I want to listen to
>>
>>65046057
He's the only guitarist I can tolerate
>>
>>65046057
I think it was worth getting into Frank's stuff. It can be frustrating because I find he was often so close to writing something brilliant but couldn't help throwing in something really corny to dick it up.

That being said, here are my recommendations (not necessarily in order, just by what you think is interesting by the description):

If you like: interesting horn arrangements, proto-jazz fusion, drawn out solo sections
> Hot Rats
I think this is a great starting point. It sums up a lot of what's great about Frank's music. The good news is you'll know right away whether you'll like this album. The opener, peaches in regalia, is probably the best opener on any Zappa album.

If you like: sarcasm/parody/humour in music, "way ahead of its time" sound, story telling
> Freak Out!
Some argue this is the first rock concept album. It's full of humour and still musically interesting. Super influential.

If you like: Frank's voice, wacky modal runs, theatrics, song-by-song story telling, guitar solos
>Apostrophe
It's probably his most-recognized. Very exemplary of mid-70s Frank Zappa output.

If you like: Concept albums, virtuosity, humour in music, theatrics
>Joe's Garage
My favorite Zappa album. It's pretty much a non-stop joke the whole time, but it's genuinely funny as well as being musically fantastic.

If you like: more experimental instrumentation and composition, could do with less humour, want to see what Frank is capable of as a composer:
>Waka/Jawaka
>The Grand Wazoo
>Sleep Dirt

A bit more avante-garde:
>Civilization Phaze III
>Yellow Shark

Also, most people shit on this album but I absolutely love it, it was my introduction to Frank Zappa:
>Cheap Thrills
Live, hilarious, virtuosic.
>>
>>65048295
are you me
>>
listen to everything he's put out until 1975
rest is optional
>>
>>65046092
Even my mom likes his music, and she listens mostly to Beyonce. Turbopleb detected.
>>
>>65048517
I thought I was the only one who felt this way so I don't know dude maybe
>>
Frank Zappa never put out a bad album, but if you're just starting to get into him, start with his more commercial stuff like Overnight Sensation, and Apostrophe. Then move on to Sheik Yerbuti, and Lather. After you've absorbed that you MIGHT be ready for his weird, whacky, off the wall avant guarde stuff, but if not, listen to You Are What You Is, The Man From Utopia, Broadway The Hard Way, and the Joe's Garage trilogy, then slowly acquaint yourself with the weirder stuff starting with Thing Fish and Hot Rats. Then, and ONLY then, you might be ready for some early Mothers of Invention.
>>
>>65048295
I messed up a bit. Wawak/jawaka and The Grand Wazoo aren't particularly experimental or out there, they're pretty straight forward but excellent big band albums. If you want experimentation in both composition and instrumentation, go for Weasels Ripped my Flesh as a starting point.
>>
>>65048700
You're assuming OP is a pleb
>>
>>65046057
The Jazz Discharge Party Hats.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.