[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do y'all think of this album? Just listened to it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: Evol.gif (66 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Evol.gif
66 KB, 300x300
What do y'all think of this album?

Just listened to it for the first time and it's definitely my least favorite Sonic Youth album right now.
>>
>>65042004
which other ones have you listened to? that and sister are my least favorites of theirs from the 80s. Daydream Nation on the other hand is a masterpiece, and Bad Moon Rising is an awesome debut
>>
One of their better albums, though I like Confusion is Sex, Sister, and Daydream Nation more. The locked groove on the vinyl version is top tier shit.
>>
>>65042004
Thats a 10 m8, best Lee track, Marilyn Moore, best sy closer, cool vinyl gimmick. What more could you want
>>
My favorite SY album will always be the Confusion is Sex/Kill Your Idols cd I got as a kid

the best sounding is Dirty imo, butch vig did a good job. still one of my favorite sounding records
>>
i love daydream nation but i listened to the first 5 minutes of goo and turned it off
where do i go from here
>>
File: exploding knees.jpg (53 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
exploding knees.jpg
53 KB, 700x700
>yfw the scream on In The Kingdom #19 is legit because Thurston is an asshole
>>
>>65042265

Skip Dirty and go backwards from Daydream Nation, then listen to the 90's stuff after Dirty. Experimental Jet Set is optional as it's kind of an odd duck.
>>
>>65042265
Same boat, goo and dirty just seem like sonic youth parodying themselves, there is this departure from any kind of msytique or artsy-ness they had in the 80s, and it just seems like them being like "woah noise is crazy and X-treme!".
>>
>>65042265
Backwards from DDN, Mission of Burma - Vs., SYR EPs, early PiL, SST era Husker Du and Minutemen, first three Dinosaur Jr albums

Also check out Flipper - Generic, you might dig it

That's all pretty basic stuff, you might like Truman's Water and Bardo Pond (if you like heavy psych) as well
>>
>>65042354
Do you like Washing Machine? I love the 80's material so much, but I hate Washing Machine, but no one agrees with me
>>
>>65042154
Sister, Daydream Nation, and Goo

I've recently come around on Daydream Nation, and the other two have some tracks I like, but don't impress me as a whole.
>>
>>65042590

You might consider relistening to Sister then - in reality it's only slightly lesser to DDN. A couple oddities keep it from attaining that album's sharp focus but by and large they just about had their shit together on that album regardless. Sonic Youth's progression as a band, with a couple of instances notwithstanding, is surprisingly fluid.
>>
>>65042154
Bad Moon Rising wasnt their debut
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.