[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
pointless rant
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1
File: slowpoke.jpg (141 KB, 1180x842) Image search: [Google]
slowpoke.jpg
141 KB, 1180x842
Am I an asshole for not liking Prince? More than just not liking him, but for not getting it at all.

Like I listen to his music and I see people reacting to it and getting totally into it, praising him as a genius and getting emotional, and all I can think of is "This is what's causing that reaction? Really? But seriously, REALLY?"

Was it a timing thing and (currently) nostalgia that made him so big? I'm 29 so I missed the 80s boat a little, but I've loved and mourned a ton of the great artists that have passed away within the past couple years. Prince is a standout among them in that I have a complete lack of opinion about him.

I take that back, I have a vague impression of him being an asshole for his attitude towards the internet and stories of people's home videos and websites taken down because there was some affliction with Prince's music some some way. But even that I don't care enough to confirm and clear his name / verify he was a dick.

The only thing musically associated with him I know I like is his influence on the character Powerline in fucking A Goofy Movie.

</rant>
>>
>iconic
>good at guitar

that's all he should have been

80s fags have the worst taste in music
>>
people have different tastes dude. you don't have to like everything everyone else does. it doesn't make you an asshole it literally just means you don't like his music
>>
>>64826216
>millennials like this actually exist and are old enough to post on /mu/
>>
>>64826422
way to ruin the fun with your rational post
>>
My only exposure to Prince when he was alive was Sexy MF. Love that song.
He passed and I finally got around to listening to the studio version of Purple Rain, a song I had somehow avoided my 23 years of life. That song is unfuckingreal.
In closing Prince is tight. He has at least one song for everyone. But also you're entitled to your own opinion.
>>
>>64826453
keep idolizing, faggot.
>>
Literally no one except for you cares.
I doubt even your loved ones care about whether or not you actually liked Prince because of how simply irrelevant it is to anything and everything that actually matter.
>>
>>64826685
>keep appreciating good music

Thanks I will. And you keep idolizing whatever backpack rap or bleep shit you enjoy.
>>
>>64826733
Except that's not reality and people will get mad at you for not liking something they do.
>>
>>64826769
did i ever say he shouldn't be appreciated? no, you fucking idiot, I didn't.
>>
>>64826795
>telling others your real opinions
how low is your power level?
>>
>>64826825
>thread about Prince's music
>80s fags have the worst taste in music
>did i ever say he shouldn't be appreciated?

You're a mental midget.
>>
>>64826935
>reading comprehension level: american
>>
>>64826935
No, no I think you're just a fucking moron who lacks reading comprehension.

Not the same poster btw
>>
This thread went downhill fast with the first post.
>>
>>64826422
/thread
>>
>>64826497
Wait a sec, you guys do this for fun

Damn
>>
>>64826199
are you a straight white male?
not even tryna be an ass hole
>>
>>64827085
what do you consider fun

i guarantee it's just as pointless as this
>>
>>64827121
>being productive
>pointless

Well, there goes my job
>>
>>64827118
Do straight white males post on /mu/ anymore? fuckbois and yuroslims don't count.
>>
>>64827085
Why the hell else would we do it?
>>
>>64827200
Well I for one only really browse the board for music recs and discussion, shitposting and memes are a necessary evil to me
>>
>>64827189
So you're getting dumb shit done like the rest of us. Got it.
>>
>>64827232
Did you get get get get got got got got it, though
>>
>>64827217
It's cliché to say, but the board used to be so much better for that stuff. Multiple sharethreads on the first page usually. Now I only stop by a couple times a week to see what new album everyone is shilling, which usually just takes a glance at the catalog.
>>
>>64827303
Damn, I totally forgot about the catalog.
>>
>>64826199
Because he is brilliant.
Listen to 1999 or Gold Experience or Sign o' the Times, please.
Keep in mind the time period during which it was released.

>>64826216
The guitar solos are the worst thing about Prince, though.
>>
>>64827195
idk man but not being the target audience for something is totally OH-KAY
you don't have to love everything in the various canons, yeah?
i love prince, but i'm not a judgmental fuccboi so i'm not gunna think less of u if y'aint diggin it~~

<<<333
>>
>>64826199
>Am I an asshole for not liking Prince? More than just not liking him, but for not getting it at all.
I hope not, because I don't really get it, either.

I was born in the late '70s (yes, I'm old) and somehow lived through the entire '80s without having much familiarity with Prince. I can only recall a few songs off-hand. 1999 I'd recognize immediately, of course. I Wanna Be Your Lover I'd probably get, too. I know OF Purple Rain and When Doves Cry, but I don't remember them specifically and couldn't even have told you Prince sang the latter until I looked up his discography. I wasn't especially a fan of any of them. I didn't especially like Madonna or Michael Jackson, either, though. To be honest, for most of the '80s, Lionel Ritchie and Stevie Wonder were more up my alley. And then the '90s came and I was into grunge and pop was dead to me, so...yeah.

The only Prince song I liked isn't one he even sang (nor did I know he wrote it until recently). It was this '80s staple:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsmVgoXDq2w

But that's me. I'm not gonna shit all over him, because a lot of people liked him and he was obviously talented. He just wasn't my cup of tea.
>>
>>64826199 (OP)
He's just not your thing OP, it's OK. Music taste is subjective. Like for me, Animal Collective? I don't get that shit at all. I don't even hate 'em, It's just I listened to two entire albums f theirs, Feels and Strawberry Jam, and I was like "eh."
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.