[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just spent all night listening to the velvet underground for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2
File: ffc25814.jpg (241 KB, 658x658) Image search: [Google]
ffc25814.jpg
241 KB, 658x658
I just spent all night listening to the velvet underground for the first time, I will rank their albums based on how much I've enjoyed them:
WLWH> VUAN> VU > loaded
How would you rank them and why?
>>
VU> loaded>VUAN>WLWH
in terms of enjoyment
>>
I get the praise for WLWH. Obviously its insanely innovative and way ahead of its time.
But do people really come back to songs like The Gift and Sister Ray that much? How is it better than TVU&N?
>>
>>64791502
that is exactly how i'd rank them. WLWH is ridiculously good proto-punk/noise rock. i love all four though
>>
>>64791612
I get what your saying about the gift, but sister ray is fucking great.
>>
>>64791612
both of those songs are easily in my top five velvet underground songs of all time. they are so perfect, and have plenty of replay value, so good. that's not to put down TVUN because i'd rate that a 10 just lile WLWH, just saying they are equally perfect
>>
>>64791656
Its great but after hearing it like 10 times I never want to listen to the whole song. Its relatively static for an 18 minute song but I guess thats the point.
Ive listened to TVUN and TVU 3x as much as WLWH and they still seem fresher
>>
I would like to add my favorite song on WLWH is I heard her call my name, that moment when Lou Reed says "and then my mind split open" and the band goes all out is AMAZING.
>>
>>64791612
I find them highly enjoyable and with plenty of replay value. Like listening to a small novel.

>>64791502
This is the only correct answer.
>>
>>64791502
>I will rank their albums based on how much I've enjoyed them
>A litteraly garbage pretentious album as first
As if you really enjoyed that shit that people only say they "like" to seem cool
>>
>>64791779
"STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE OR ELSE YOUR LYING TO BE COOL"
>>
>>64791779
man wlwh is actually really cool, stop being a wiener
>>
>>64791779
nigga what the fuck, WLWH is full of super tasty jams, Sister Ray is fucking groovy
>>
Is VU(the compilation album) worth it?
>>
File: enjoyedthisart.jpg (19 KB, 516x475) Image search: [Google]
enjoyedthisart.jpg
19 KB, 516x475
>>64791897
I truly liked that art breh, some people really can enjoy this whithout lying to be cool, it's just taste
>>
>>64792284
not really
>>
"The Gift" on WLWH is stupid though.

I'd go VUAN > WLWH = VU > Loaded
>>
>>64792516
I agree but sister ray makes up for it, the gift taken as a story Is cool but it's not a song I would play a lot.
>>
TVU>TVU&N>WL/WH>Loaded

WL/WH and Loaded are the extremes of both sides. WL/WH got way too carried away with avant-garde for the sake of avant-garde and Loaded made them full blown pop, which was neither their best style nor were they the best at it.

TVU&N is almost there but still drags occasionally with Nico's vocals and forays into structureless meandering, but it's still a great album.

TVU is perfect, focused, beautiful songwriting and none of the bullshit.

I still love them all.
>>
>>64792639
It's basically a different band after WLWH

>avant garde and structurless meandering is bad
Shit taste confirmed.
>>
Just going to co-opt this thread to broadcast that I actually quite enjoyed Squeeze even if it isn't really a VU album.

Anyway

WLWH (9) > Self-titled (8.5) > Nico (8) > Squeeze = Loaded (7)
>>
>>64791612
Listen to the Gift when you're high. All I'm gonna say.
>>
>>64792698
>meandering is bad
>I still love them all.
I know reading is hard.
>>
>>64791612
I like it better than TVU&N because I feel like it's structured better. It's less tiring to listen to and really fully explores everything they were trying to do with it as a concept, but with TVU&N I feel like I'm just listening to music -- really good music, mind you, but WLWH feels more like a cohesive project to me.
>>
>>64791502
I would rank them just like you. Now go suck on a ding dong
>>
TVU > TVU&N = WL/WH > Loaded >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Transformer

Seriously, what the fuck happened with that album? I haven't heard Squeeze, but I'm willing to bet it's not as bad as Transformer.
>>
>>64792896
kys my man, Transformer is good
>>
>>64791612
Im not huge on the gift, but sister ray is a fucking classic. I listen to that track all the time
>>
>>64792922
It's fucking nothing compared to literally any TVU album. Even the compilations.
>>
>>64792896
nice meme.
>>
>>64792947
transformer is better than the s/t and loaded. Stop memeing
>>
>>64791597
I actually agree with this lately.
VUAN = Loaded for me
desu I find them all a bit boring and don't even really listen through the whole albums, more just the songs I like. I think you could condense everything they did onto 1 CD and it would be one of the greatest albums ever made, next to Pet Sounds for instance. in my shitty opinion

>>64791612
When I first heard "The Gift" I thought it was the single coolest thing in the world. I used to play it all the time. I still think it's pretty awesome but I don't ever feel the desire to listen to WLWH at all honestly.
>>
>>64793052
>VUAN = Loaded

Christ, did I just fucking write that? I hardly ever listen to Loaded. VUAN is great, just a lot of shit I don't ever want to hear on it.
>>
>>64791612
>But do people really come back to songs like The Gift and Sister Ray that much?
the gift no but sister ray yes. i wake up to that song, i brush my teeth to that song, i eat breakfast to that song. i've been doing this every day for the better part of 4 years now
>>
>>64793182
Wow don't you get tired of it?
>>
>>64793265
no
>>
>>64793277
Do you like the 30min live version?
>>
Just wondering, preferences as to mono/stereo? I don't think there's a mono mix for anything after WLWH.
>>
White Light / White Heat has The Gift, that alone puts it below Nico and S/T. Loaded is shit
>>
>>64793317
never heard it can i get a link?
>>
>>64793560
https://youtu.be/_RPCI2H1sV4
>>
>>64793556
Loaded has sweet Jane and rock and roll, that alone is enough to make it a 6/10
>>
>>64793678
Oh! Sweet Nuthin'>Hey Jude
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.