[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people say The Queen is Dead is the best Smiths album?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: smyte.jpg (550 KB, 1400x1400) Image search: [Google]
smyte.jpg
550 KB, 1400x1400
When the best is clearly this one
>>
Any Smiths album could be their best t b h
>>
>>64745782
I'm not sure
I wholeheartedly agree with you OP
>>
imo Hatfull of Hollow has the best collection of songs and Strangeways is the most immaculately constructed. Some of their most beautiful work is on The Queen is Dead and its soundscape is fairly consistent, but the pacing of the album doesn't do it for me.
>>
>>64745895
I'm big on the first album for the lyrics, very 1960's "kitchen sink" in style. Plus some absolute bangers like What Difference Does it Make? Do agree about Strangeways being the tightest though.
Although what about Louder than Bombs, doesn't that render Hatful redundant?
>>
>>64745782
>Life is never kind.. but I know what will make you smile tonight
>>
>>64745782
most people who like the smiths have terrible taste

>>64745925
>what about Louder than Bombs, doesn't that render Hatful redundant?
doesnt have accept yourself how soon is now or the live trax
>>
>>64745782
It's my favorite, too. Pretty Girls Make Graves was the first song of theirs I fell in love with, and the entire album is fantastic.

A perfect opener.
>>
>>64745925
What >>64746176 and the best god damn version of This Charming Man. Do love Louder than Bombs though and I listen to it regularly.

Honorable mention to Meat is Murder because no one has mentioned it yet.
>>
>>64745782
how can they look into my eyes and still they don't believe me?
>>
>>64746496
15 minutes with you, well I wouldn't say no...
>>
>>64746496
Funny how a lot of people think that's a love song when it's about the music industry.
>>
>>64746600
it be both senpai - shit's called a double entendre
>>
>>64746621
No, it actually has a clear meaning, "the boy" being Morrissey. You wanting to interpret it differently is your own choice.
>>
C'mon guys, Meat Is Murder is clearly their best album
>>
This might be the third best (behind The Queen is Dead and Strangeways). It could have been the best if the producers put the better versions of those singles on the album, but they didn't, bizarrely enough.
>>
The Troy Tate version of the original album is weirdly better in many ways
https://youtu.be/j-hNx0ijv9c
>>
on a scale of 1 to 10 how gay am I for liking the smiths?

something about them just reminds me of my hometown. Even though I discovered them later.
>>
>>64748337
>>
>>64746681
This
Though in the end every Smiths album is their best album
What sucks is Morrissey's solo carreer
>>
>>64748612

>implying Viva Hate, Vauxhall & I, Your Arsenal and arguably, You Are the Quarry aren't great
>>
>>64746681
My rankings:
Queen is Dead
Meat is Murder
Hatful of Hollow
Louder than Bombs
s/t
Strangeways

All good though, lowest being a 7/10. Haven't heard Rank or The World Won't Listen but I'm told their not good.
>>
>>64748676
Only Viva Hate is decent
>>
>>64745782
Wrong, it's meat is murder.
>>
>>64745811
The only right answer
>>
>>64746681
My favorite is s/t but that would be my second pick.
So many good tracks in that one. My favorite being Barbarism Begins at Home.
>>
I Don't Owe You Anthing is fucking heartwrenching, in fact the entire album is a work of lyrical mastery
>>
are the compilation albums besides hatful any good??
>>
>>64750740
Louder than Bombs has a few extra interesting tracks than Hatful of Hollow...The World Won't Listen truly is redundant, but it has a good album title and cover, that's about it
>>
I got into the Smiths with The Queen Is Dead, so it was my fav for a long time, but every album of theirs has been my favourite at some point, it's really hard to pin down, they're all fucking amazing.

If i had to choose I'd agree with >>64746681, I think it's their most solid and consistent release. I don't love the production on S/T, and there's a couple songs on Queen and Strangeways that I could kinda take or leave, but Meat is Murder is great start to finish, especially if How Soon is Now is included

>>64746223
Reel Around The Fountain, Suffer Little Children and Hand That Rocks the Cradle are all perfect songs
>>
File: 11-morrissey1992.jpg (20 KB, 510x334) Image search: [Google]
11-morrissey1992.jpg
20 KB, 510x334
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.