[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone here like lounge, exotica or space age pop?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: 1461650395219.gif (82 KB, 600x380) Image search: [Google]
1461650395219.gif
82 KB, 600x380
Anyone here like lounge, exotica or space age pop?
>>
I like Broadcast and stereolab, and beach house. Any recomendations?
>>
>>64736389
Like Tipsy? Yeah
>>
Richard Cheese can (and will) turn any song into a lounge song
>>
>>64736493
Well oldschool shit like Les Baxter, Esquivel
>>
Yes dude very much recently actually, you say you like old school stuff? I can give you some general recs if you want me to. How did you get into it? I'm interested.
>>
Juan GarcĂ­a Esquivel is the shit
>>
>>64737597
Your mother showed me some recs faggot
>>
>>64737597
By listening to some WFMU, I don't remember the show exactly. Would love reccs thanks
>>
>>64736389

i like all that shit. i feel like a weirdo because no one else around me does.

ever listened to vegas vics podcast? golden stuff. im talking early 2000's, there i got my martin denny, les baxter, eden ahbez, esquivel, and that ancient exotica act called the three suns.
>>
never cared for lounge.
Love space age pop, mostly been listening to joe meek produced stuff.
as for exotica i wanted to get into recently because of monster rally. might go see if my record store has an exotica records.
>>
>>64737751
forgot to ask if anyway has some exotica recs or like a chart or something.
>>
File: Haze for Daze.jpg (16 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Haze for Daze.jpg
16 KB, 300x300
I want to say I like exotica, but honestly the exotica I like is the hypnagogic pop take on exotica, all fuzzed out.
>>
Martin Denny is my main man
>>
banger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZfmSBMAoXQ
>>
i embraced exotica because it is genuine comfytown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ykca2v9ngks
>>
>>64737803
any examples?
>>
Y'all need to check out Billy Couvson, not exactly exotica but his shit is so enthralling
>>
>>64737704
Alright so you might have heard a lot of these because I am new to the genre as well but I will say them anyway

Mort Garson- Plantasia (CLASSIC, You have to have heard this)
Stereolab- Pretty much any album by them like another anon said. Really good Kraut-ish lounge
Swing Slow-Harry Hosono (Psuedonym of famous ex-YMO player) Japanese space age-revival act. Really good
Astro Age Steel Orchestra-Happy Living (Steel Drum Exotica)
Esquivel and Martin Denny of course because they are absolute classics
Fantastic Plastic Machine-s/t or Luxury (90s Shibuya-kei sampling lounge music)
Harumi Hosono, Tatsuro Yamashita, Shigeru Suzuki-Pacific (Tropical Exotica from Japan)
Les Baxter-Music Out of the Moon
Mark Barrot-Sketches From an Island
Tipsy- Trip Tease (90s Cocktail)
101 Strings Orchestra-Astro Sounds
Dick Hyman-Moon Gas
Michael Magne-Tropical Fantasy

Also Doopee Time by Doopees if you have not heard it already. It is my favorite album of all time. It is basically an outsider tribute to Space Age Pop and old Girl Groups like the Ronnettes. Walks the fine line between Tongue and Cheek, Experimental, and Pop. Its a journey from start to finish and the man behind it, Yann Tomita, is worth looking into for both more Exotica and Experimental Music.

I hope my recs helped somebody
>>
>>64737744
I'm liking that podcast thanks. Yeah, same here, I know absolutely no one that likes this.
>>
Also, in a recent sharethread someone posted a series of exotica mixtapes that a blogspotter made. Each volume is like a different region of the world. Highly recommended. Called "Bibliotheque Exotique" I think
>>
>>64738001

Thanks a lot

You probably will like Komeda and Combustible Edison, they're pretty similar to Stereolab

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MecLgBzY96A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AVIFgwefGg
>>
a nice introductory album to exotica might be the first volume of the ultra lounge compilation series, called "mondo exotica".

fun fact: the character of the singing diva from fifth element movie was inspired by real life peruvian singer yma sumac, who had an amazing range and unique style ( and who is featured in the mentioned album).
>>
>>64738172
Yeah man Combustible Edison is my shit
>>
>>64738001
Thank you so much.

this thread is so awesome
>>
>>64738297
Anytime dude. The more people who like this kind of stuff, the better
>>
File: Edenahbez.jpg (46 KB, 403x425) Image search: [Google]
Edenahbez.jpg
46 KB, 403x425
>>64736389

Does Ahbez matter to you OP?
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.