[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fellow /mu/sicians, for those who are in college courses outside
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 1462289497064.gif (361 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1462289497064.gif
361 KB, 600x450
Fellow /mu/sicians, for those who are in college courses outside of the creativity scope, do you think that your academic life gets in the way of your process of creation?
>>
Oh I know it.
Vis varsa as ell
>>
No. I think it enhances it, really. Any and all intellectual expansions reflect in anything and everything else you do. If you are studying something and you find it boring you've probably just not developed the right perspective/attitude about it. Or maybe you're studying something that's really boring, and in that case you're probably studying the wrong thing.

Math and physics major, by the way.

What are you studying and how far along are you?
>>
Sort of
only in terms of time I have to flesh things out
things that would barely take two days of solid work now take a week, and anything more complex can be on the backburner for months up to half a year to get done. It's quite raining but satisfying
>>
I got a music degree and then went to law school. Suffice it to say that I feel almost every single day that I've been deprived of the creative experience I had during my undergrad degree.

Although I made the responsible choice, I often feel like an empty shell of myself to be completely frank with you.
>>
More like the other way around, really. I spent the entire last semester dicking around on the piano and failing courses lol.
>>
Depends on what ur schedual is like. I'm interning at the moment, 2 days a week, at uni for 3 days, the work all weekends. Nights I'm put with my mates. I haven't touched Ableton in close to a month. And I used to make music close to every single day of my life.

Although before I started interning I found that having semi busy schedual made me a LOT more productive musically
>>
No, are you retarded?
>>
>>64734501

I'm studying business management, and it's been a pain in the ass since it started really, but I don't know if I see my self in another course, I think I'm more afraid of droping out than anything
>>
I'm a design major, studio art/art history double-minor. My non-creative classes definitely suck the life out of me but my program is so intensive I'm almost always working overtime on creative stuff.

Ironically I feel like it's getting in the way of my own personal work. Each project has specific goals and I can't just put whatever personal work I have into it due to guidelines, but during the semester I have literally no free time. Hell I don't even have time to sleep most nights. Not uncommon to do two back to back allnighters to keep pace with my projects, even taking a lighter course load.

Last semester I decided to get my general requirements out of the way, convinced the administration to let me take 24 credit hours (8 classes) and managed to ace them all with less effort than a 12 hour design/art semester. It was pretty awful creatively but overall I'm glad I've had all my classes and experiences, it's pushed me a hell of a lot farther in my own personal work than I'd have imagined possible in such a short amount of time. I've even drawn a ton of influence from my non-creative classes. I think if you can't find inspiration in a wide variety of things you're just limiting your possibilities.
>>
>>64734895

I think I've been coming with many excuses to sabotage myself, that's a really nice perspective of yours, thanks for sharing your story bruh
>>
>>64735063
I don't know what's terribly inspirational about a man literally killing himself working 50+ hours straight without food or sleep to finish insane projects on time. It's taken such a toll on me before I actually had to drop out and take a year off for health reasons. Started hallucinating bad, even while well rested, and my heart got fucked up bad during that time. Don't kill yourself working too hard. Just get through school and flourish when you come out the other side.
>>
yes, and t sucks, i need a year off
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.