[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When did /mu/ stop liking Radiohead?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 6
I've been back after not frequenting mu for a long while and apparently they're garbage now? What happened to RadioGOAT?
>>
Placebo are better than all those britpop bands
>>
you became a shemale
>>
Radiohead is popular on /mu/ so everyone pretends to hate them because we're on 4chan and you can't like popular things if you use 4chan.
>>
Never really liked radiohead, Kid A sounds like Thorm York's watered down attempt at being experimental while applying elements of music he's not familiar with (namely IDM)

it's not bad by any means but not as good as I'd hoped, however had it been my first introduction to alt rock then I'd probably consider it my GOAT too
>>
>>64717799
Thom Yorke*

TKOL is alright though
>>
/mu/ does like radiohead. Just some dedicated trolls are being contrarian right now.
>>
they really went to shit about the time ok computer came out.

I mean it was really all down hill from Pablo Honey but at least the Bends had a good song or two.
>>
Because every time an artist dies or releases a new album almost everybody starts talking about them, this includes both the people who like them and dislike them. You didn't heard the bad as much as it's now because only people who liked said artists used to talk about them when they are not being hyped by the media.

>>64717787
Newfag

>>64717850
>everybody HAS to like Radiohead because they are the best band EVER!
No, some people just don't like them.
>>
>>64717787
>>64717850
do you honestly believe this? do you suffer this badly from cognitive dissonance at the thought of people not liking radiohead that you have to make shit up to process it?
>>
>>64717741
Nobody here hates them. That's just a meme.
>>
>>64717878
at least try, polak
>>
when we decided Hail to the Thief wasn't any good, and that putting King of Limbs behind In Rainbows in terms of quality was pointless
>>
>>64717948
but on this site people don't talk in subjective likes and dislikes

they dismiss objective quality of a work which is going to spur a stronger response from people that are positively affected by that work

I'm amazed when people that shit on other people are surprised by defensiveness
>>
The massive hate started to surface around the time the hype for the newest album started.
Pretty much what
>>64717787
Said

>>64717914
and
>>64717948

Are fucking retards trying really hard to pretend like the amount of hate Radio gets somehow hasn't increased drastically the past few months.

You should understand that /mu/ hasn't been about music for years now and it's all just image and trends now.
>>
>>64717948
How long have you spent shitposting on this board?
How long has it been since you've gone outside?
>>
>>64718047
>it's all just image and trends now.

Not only that the shitposting on this board and the ironic, cringeworthy and completely redundant usage of the word "meme" has almost killed any serious discussion outside of generals.
>>
>>64718089
/mu/ "memes" are monthly trends in of themselves. There's nothing long-lasting here that can be considered actual board culture aside from the utter narcissistic faggotry that permiates every thread.
>>
File: fishblast.jpg (673 KB, 1080x1350) Image search: [Google]
fishblast.jpg
673 KB, 1080x1350
>>64717820
>>
>>64718111
This

Just because something is ironic does not make it good
>>
>>64718111
nice trips
>>
>>64717781
nippy vocals though
>>
>>64718047
Do you want to know how I know you didn't read my post?
Read my post again, I gave a reasonable explanation about why it appears to be that /mu/ dislikes Radiohead, and not just some "hurr, why don't people liek muh favorite band! They HAVE to be pretending!"
Also, don't pretend you have been here for too long. The image and trend thing has been a /mu/ thing since the board started and it isn't any worse now.

>>64718089
That's literally /mu/ from it's beginning to the present day
>>
>>64718047
>Are fucking retards trying really hard to pretend like the amount of hate Radio gets somehow hasn't increased drastically the past few months.
radiohead hasn't been relevant for months so obviously a new album is gonna make more people surface which brings along the superfans and the people who dislike them
>>
>>64718389
>That's literally /mu/ from it's beginning to the present day

Fuck no. When it wasn't as popular it was definitely a higher quality board.
>>
>>64718442
the influx of death grips and radiohead fans has lowered the average age of this board to 16
>>
>>64718470
The influx of cretins like you has lowered the quality of this board tenfold.
>>
>>64718442
/mu/ was always popular
The first years people used to talk mostly about metal and "indie". /mu/ was basically a music only /b/ during the first years. Now it has been getting a more personal taste at least.
The quality of the board is higher than ever now, that you are so blinded by nostalgia doesn't change that.
Plus, you talk about the board decreasing in quality and having more popularity yet you claim that the board is getting worse because /mu/ (supposedly) doesn't like Radiohead as much. LMAO

>>64718470
There were Radiohead fans since the beginning of /mu/, and people discover Death Grips thanks to /mu/, and not /mu/ thanks to Death Grips (usually).
>>
>>64718573
>>64718573

>look guys I've been here two whole years I thing I can talk about the state of the board

Kill yourself you little faggot.
>>
>>64718442
If you only come here to talk about bands like radiohead or AnCo and shit like that dont pretend to find anything good.
Sharethreads and others threads that people that actualy likes to find and listen a wide spectrum of music participate in are good and sometimes you can even have decent conversations. In some sharethreads people even said "thank you" and recomend you good stuff if you give them something.
About the main subject of the thread, Radiohead, i think that they use to make decent music.. I don't know, i used to hear OK computer when i was like 18 and it sound cool. But in their lastest albums it seems that they just play a base and then thom yorke add a whiny-crying-boy vocal and lyrics and thats it. it always sound like they feel the same thing over 10 years, really boring IMO
>>
>>64718142
:)
>>
>>64718573
>/mu/ was always popular
Wrong. Comparatively, no.
>The quality of the board is higher than ever now
Need I mention the shitposting, the "irony" posts, and the usage of the word "meme" that by far beats any other board on this website? It's all meme meme and irony. The quality and dropped significantly, and you seriously cannot start a thread about an album or band without a few shitposts.

>Plus, you talk about the board decreasing in quality and having more popularity yet you claim that the board is getting worse because /mu/ (supposedly) doesn't like Radiohead as much. LMAO
I did not imply this. It doesn't matter whether the users like radiohead or not. What matters is post quality and the ability to actually have a discussion without resorting to "irony" and "memes"
>Now it has been getting a more personal taste at least.
Of course. With all the pitchfork and fantano worship the place really has developed a taste of its own. Are you fucking kidding me?
>>
>>64718699
By the way you talk about your experience in the board, it seems that you always make shit threads or talk about things that are not really interesting or maybe bands that are obviously a meme, because that's not the same experience that the tripfag or i have had.
Tell us, what would you like to talk about or what kind of thread do you usually start/participate in?
>>
>>64718613
And you think you can do better?

>>64718699
Sure, it's more popular now, but not the music they talk about when compared to the past.

Yes, and there have been memes since the board started.
That's because you don't make a thread about specific album or artists. You either talk about the same artists /mu/ talks about every single day, which is obviously going to attract shit posters; or less known artists which gather less shit posting but you just don't see them because you probably think "if it's popular on /mu/ it's good and everything else isn't"; or you don't get any replies because the artists isn't well known. There was a decent Autechre thread on /mu/ with almost no shit posting that lasted 5 days between this week and the last. You don't know what you are talking about.

Fair enough, but if you talk about a highly popular artist with over 20 threads on the catalog about the same albums, with other 20 dedicated to the artist and his other albums, don't be surprised it gets filled with shit posting. Better tip, get some taste and listen to less known yet not necessarily worse artists and talk about them on generals or whatever.

Yes, because before fantano and pitchfork it was teenage entry level metal and indie everybody knows about. Plus, you have threads about music those two sources never talk about, like progressive rock, noise, post punk, etc

>>64718772
He's just some Radiohead fanboy who's sad because not everybody on /mu/ likes his favorite band, so he has to comfort himself by saying things like "/mu/ used to be better" yet he just started browsing one year ago and thinks listening to all the /mu/ essentials will make him a music connoisseur or some other shit
Oh, and he only posts on flavor of the month threads, which are the threads that get filled the most by users from /b/ or /v/ (which means, shit posting and low quality posts).
>>
>>64718557
>n-no u
epic win
>>
File: 1446905568983.jpg (18 KB, 367x479) Image search: [Google]
1446905568983.jpg
18 KB, 367x479
>>64718892
>all that wall of text talking about the development of the board from some newfag who hasn't been here more than 4 years

Dude what the fuck are you doing I don't understand
>>
>>64718892
>That's because you don't make a thread about specific album or artists. You either talk about the same artists /mu/ talks about every single day, which is obviously going to attract shit posters

Thats exactly what I think. If you talk about the same 5 bands that are obviously a meme dont expect a thread with a good conversation.
For example, in the sharethread that is active now, I learned what is library music, i didnt know what it was. Why? because i share something that a guy wanted and she asked me how can he give me something back. I told him what i like and he tought that library music could interest me. For me it was cool...
>>
File: feelsgood.jpg (37 KB, 396x388) Image search: [Google]
feelsgood.jpg
37 KB, 396x388
>>64717741
I've always disliked Radiohead. I think they're absolute garbage and are completely unlistenable.

My girlfriend called me a pretentious twat for loving Xiu Xiu, but at least Xiu Xiu is diverse and interesting. Radiohead is literally Oasis meets stolidity.
>>
It's really not that complicated. /mu/ is full of contrarians who are unable (or unwilling) to understand why people like things they don't.

So instead of just ignoring a Radiohead thread and moving on like a normal, well adjusted person, the average /mu/tant gets triggered, enters the thread and starts insulting everyone.

Get a band as popular as Radiohead and a new album release will generate a lot of discussion. As such, you'll also see more of these autists.

Replace Radiohead with any other popular artist, and you'll see the same thing.
>>
>>64719059
>It's really not that complicated. /mu/ is full of contrarians who are unable (or unwilling) to understand why people like things they don't.
i knew that after this sentence you were going to do the exact same thing you accuse others of doing
>>
>>64718613
>>64718699
>>64718973
>>64718992
>attempting to argue with avant-math god
As much as I like his taste there's practically no convincing him of anything at all. The closest you can get is to agree to disagree
>>
>>64719108
What in the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>64719173
people aren't being "contrarians" for not liking something you like

you accuse others of not understanding that people like something they don't yet you seem to be unable to understand that some people dislike something you like
>>
>>64719059
you want a hugbox full of yes-sayers where everyone shares your opinion yet you browse the one where everyone is anonymous
>>
>>64718992
I don't really like share threads, but that's pretty cool.
Did they recommend you Chappell Music Library's Music for Dance Floors? Because Following You is great, and Block Buster is one of my favorite songs ever!

But yeah, dumb people get what they deserve.

>>64718973
Ok

>>64719115
I change my opinions all the time because of image boards. I'm not reluctant to convincing myself of someone else's point of view, but the guy I'm replying to is seriously deluded in his views.
Also, weren't you the one who argued that Magma sucked without me nor hampus being able to tell you why you were wrong about lots of concepts you used and then they became your favorite band or something?

>>64719173
In the exact same post you are critiquing others and yourself. Double standard. It's quite a piece of art desu
>>
>>64719243
I understand people liking what I don't like.

I don't understand people who need to enter threads about artists they don't like to tell everyone how wrong they are for liking "pleb" music.

Don't act like there aren't hundreds of people on here who just enter threads to insult people and stroke their ego about their "superior" tastes.

>>64719289
I answered OPs question though, I never asked for a hug box.

>>64719294
You're honestly one of the worst trips on this board.
>>
>>64719374
Maybe people just want to share their opinions? Am I not allowed to say I don't like artist X? God, you are such an autist. Plus, understand the people who dismiss artists in such an offensive way only do so because they come from /b/ and because that music gets discussed so much it doesn't even matter. Just filter those shitty threads if people saying mean things about your favorite artists hurt you so much and get some taste that isn't entry level /mu/core.
It's also very ironic that you claim I'm the worst tripfag just because I disagree with your (deluded) point of view.
>>
>>64719115
I'm not arguing with him. I think the same thing that he is saying. The anon that he is discusing with is complaning about something that it's not true at all. He is crying about people memeing... well it seems that he is part of the group that only talk with memes, its not the boards fault. I'm come here and if there is something between all the shit that could let me learn something i use it. But if you enter here pretending to find 100+ threads with great quality you are an idiot. It's always necesary to use filters with the amount of information that circulate in these times.
>>
>>64719502
>Throwing around autist unironically

Seriously, just fucking leave this thread dude.
>>
>>64719502
I'm fine with people sharing their opinions, even if they conflict with mine. "lol pleb top 40 gay memerock cucks" is not an opinion worth regarding.

Why do the people who always throw le triggered meme into things always sound the most angry and reactionary? lol
>>
>>64719374
If a threads theme is "radiohead" i can come here and said, for me radiohead is shit for these and these. You are some kind of police or what? Why should i refrain myself in order to please you and your taste in pop music?
If you truly want to learn and find new artist that you've never heard about, this is a good place. If you just feel confortable about the ten bands that you listen to and make a thread to hear how great your taste is because a lot of people will enter and said that the band you like is great create a specific forum about that band and its the end of the story. This is not the place for you.
In fact, it would be great if all the people like you that only talk about the same 10 bands all the time leave this space
>>
>>64719684
Do you even understand how a meme works? they talk like that because the subject of the threads that you are creating or participating in are a meme for itself!
>>
>>64719678
>doing anything ironically, ever
Slit your throat and die in a ditch you worthless degenerate.
>>
>>64719768
I'm not sure if you're trolling or just have no idea who I am, but I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt. In addition to almost 7 years as a confessed meme addict, I have moderated the largest meme forum on the Internet (at over 2 million subscribers) for over a year. You think I don't know memes? In that time I have removed over 400posts for not following subreddit guidelines. In addition to my moderation responsibilities I am one of the most active writers on knowyourmeme.com. You think I don't know memes? Then how do I write articles about them on a site called knowyourmeme? Several mainstream blogs have contacted me to ask about the recent meme phenomenon and each has been thankful and enlightened with what I had to tell them. It's not just limited to blogs though. Several companies have asked me to review their meme ads to avoid a failure like Toyota's meme commercial. Just last week a major food company contacted me with a paid offer to help them on a new ad campaign. I declined when I researched the company and saw that they had contributed money to socially conservative groups.
It's safe to say that I am one of the world's foremost experts on memes and in fact there is no one I can think of that has a meme resume as impressive as mine. So please tell me, what are your qualifications to say that I don't know what a meme is?
>>
>>64719785
2/10 made me read half of what you read and reply this
>>
File: 5730bed50d63b102558018.gif (4 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
5730bed50d63b102558018.gif
4 MB, 480x270
>mfw my wishes have come true and RH are disliked for the bland and pointless band that they are
>>
>>64717741
there is a sticky with over 4.5k posts. /mu/ is more in love with radiohead than ever before.
not stop your bait
>>
>>64719294
No, they didnt recommend me that recods.Are they easy to find?

btw, this is a good example of people talking about music withour memes
>>
>>64719771
Did I hurt your feelings? Throwing around dad insults like degenerate, you act like I killed your mother or something
>>
Can't wait 'till all this shit goes full circle and liking Radiohead becomes trendy. Bookmarking this date just so I could point to the blatant contrarianism going on through the archive.

God I fucking hate all /mu/tants. I genuinely hope you all die of aids. Literally the worst board, not even second to /v/ or /tv/.
>>
>>64719728
I'm not a police, you can do what you'd like. Again, I was answering OPs question regarding why there was a lot of hate for Radiohead lately.

I'm not saying that you don't have good reasons to dislike Radiohead either. I also haven't even said that I like Radiohead, or pop music. These are your assumptions.

The rest is just some shitty strawman that you're beating the shit out of.

You're more than welcome to whatever shitty opinion you have, and sure, share it. I'm not telling you that you can't, but it seems pointless to enter a thread about an album release to tell everyone how stupid they are for not sharing your taste.

If someone asks what you think of Radiohead and you gave your response and you use some solid reasoning, I think that makes much more sense.

Honestly you're the kind of contrarian I'm talking about. Openly hostile and your only real complaint (at least that you bother sharing) is that Radiohead is popular and well liked here.
>>
>>64719878
>you act like I killed your mother or something
Your culture of internet irony is killing western civilisation so you're actually not that far off.
>>
>>64719811
Let me preface this by saying that I've been a memer since they first appeared on 4chan circa 2006 (ages ago in internet time). I remember refreshing /b/ all afternoon with the hope that someone would make a new meme. I was a memer back when Advice Dog was the only one and I still upvote every Advice Dog meme I see becasue of the fond rush of nostalgia it brings me. Nowadays, there are many thousand on quickmeme and other meme websites. I was a memer back before memegenerator was created (the first meme website) and I had to make them with MS Powerpoint or Paint. Speaking of meme websites, I was one of the first submitters to memebase.com and still have one of the top accounts there despite having migrated to reddit nearly 2 years ago. It was on 4chan and memebase where I cut my teeth creating memes, way before I had a reddit account and way before /r/adviceanimals was created in late 2010. Back before I could get any sort of points or even username recognition, I was creating memes as a clever and easily digestible way to reflect on society, relate some story to my audience, or just be funny. Do you remember rich raven? No? I do. You probably don't remember depression dog, crazy girlfriend praying mantis, introspective pug, or friendzone Johnny either. I remember all of them. In fact, you have only submitted two posts to adviceanimals garnering a total of just 4 points and have not commented there any time recently. So please, respect my judgement regarding the direction of the subreddit and the integrity of posts I have held dear to my heart for nearly 7 years but you have no strong feelings for. Thanks.
>>
>>64719048
>Xiu Xiu is diverse and interesting.

I remember when I was 16
>>
>>64718931
>stutter posting

Please. Do us all a favor and kill yourself.
>>
>>64719374
Ok, maybe its not your case, but if someone enter to an image board thinking that will be a fandom for bands that they like they are wrong, you cant tell me they arent.
Also, i think that you dont really understand how a strawman argument works because i never exagerete any argument to make one of yours looks stupid.
>>
>>64719992
Now if you try hard enough, you might even be able to remember what you had for breakfast.
>>
>>64720012
>Also, i think that you dont really understand how a strawman argument works because i never exagerete any argument to make one of yours looks stupid.

>Why should i refrain myself in order to please you and your taste in pop music?
>In fact, it would be great if all the people like you that only talk about the same 10 bands all the time leave this space

Fuck off.
>>
>>64720068
Thats not a strawman argument
>>
File: stop_liking_what_i_dont_like.png (591 KB, 722x832) Image search: [Google]
stop_liking_what_i_dont_like.png
591 KB, 722x832
>>64719684
You are right, that's not an opinion worth anything. But you see those opinions for a reason, right? Tip of the day, stop making and browsing threads about entry level artists and get some taste.

Why do people who disagree with me always sound the most angry?

>>64719678
pic related

>>64719728
You are right. That's literally what reddit is for. To have everybody share your own opinions and compliment each other.

>>64719849
No idea, but you shouldn't have a problem with finding that album if you use Soulseek (in fact, I should have it shared there).

>>64720068
You know, he's not far away from the truth.
Have you ever seen the last.fm account of the average /mu/tant? It's radiohead, nmh, death grips, anco, the list goes on
Plus, that's not a strawman, even if it's an exaggeration
>>
>>64720169
>Why do people who disagree with me always sound the most angry?
Probably because you have an inflated ego and you need to reframe things as "everyone's just angry because I make so much sense!"

In reality, people are just pointing out how asinine your posts are. "U mad?!" is often a good indicator that someone doesn't have anything of value left to say.
>>
>>64720256
It was supposed to be a satirical quote from the post I was replying to, it doesn't reflect my actual beliefs
>>
>>64720169
So wait, people should go to reddit because everyone shares the same opinion unlike /mu/, but /mu/ is full of people who only listen to "radiohead, nmh, death grips, anco, the list goes on"

Glad that you've cleared things up!
>>
>>64720292
Which in turn was a reference to your post.

"If it hurt's you so much..."

Such a shitty, lazy argument.
>>
>>64720308
He never said "people who only listen to..." he said "avarage /mu/tant"
>>
>>64720374
And he said reddit is "literally" for people sharing the same opinion, rather than making any distinctions about the average redditor/subreddit. Reddit is just as hivemind as /mu/, I just think it's funny that he recognizes how conformist /mu/ can be when it suits his argument and insults le reddit boogeyman in the same fucking post.
>>
We've just had a nine year spell where the only Radiohead album was The King of Limbs. Thats why.
>>
>>64720372
That wasn't an argument.

>>64720308
I'm only saying his needs could be fulfilled in a better way if he browsed reddit instead of /mu/

>>64720458
Don't take it so literally, of course there are diverse opinions on reddit, I'm just saying that site suits his taste better than /mu/. I have nothing against reddit.
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.