[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Talk to me
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7
File: dfw8.png (443 KB, 391x649) Image search: [Google]
dfw8.png
443 KB, 391x649
I'm listening to the following artists at the moment and would be interested in talking to anyone about them

John Cale
Scott Walker
Arthur Russell
Tony Conrad
Philip Glass
Arvo Part
>>
>>64645684
In your next post, write a brief musical analysis of any recording by any of those artists with reference to melodic and harmonic principles and basic concepts of tonality and form. Make sure to include a link to the recording in question at the start of your post.

If you can string together a halfway coherent analysis, I will engage you. Otherwise I'm afraid I will not be able to chat. We'd both be wasting our time--my time because you have nothing to offer me, and your time because you would not understand a word I'd say.
>>
>>64645858
Okay, anon. I'll try.

The Piece I select is "All-Boy All-Girl" by Arthur Russell.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGepEryOjjM

What I find interesting about it is Russell's use of the extremely sparse production along with the driving underlying percussion that completely decays away after about 2 minutes in just in time for Russel's singing to for a really quite breathtaking harmony with the swelling of his electric cello that is so completely soft and airy but it can't last. So after repeating this move just three times he brings the percussion back, harder this time.

Yeah, I don't know technical terms but I just like the use of a texture that contrasts/complements the rest of the song so much. Like a moment of peace from the percussion.

I don't know m8, I'm not studying composition here. I just like the music.
>>
>>64645684
Scott Walker is pretty cool in all honesty.
I could care less for Arthur Miller, Word of Echo was bland shite if you have to ask me my personal opinion. He is a cool dude though.

also because I have to use buzzwords

>poseur
>>
File: dfw scolding.png (152 KB, 341x317) Image search: [Google]
dfw scolding.png
152 KB, 341x317
>>64645684
DFW posting is restricted to /lit/. please delete thread
>>
>>64645858
Take your dick out of your mouth for fucks sake.
>>
File: dfw2.png (206 KB, 310x293) Image search: [Google]
dfw2.png
206 KB, 310x293
>>64646498
I won't play by your rules.
>>
>>64645684
Have you seen the documentary on Scott? "30th century man"? I really loved it. It gave a great insight to his process and the way he thinks.
>>
>>64646447
Fuck off, montie. Your opinion is meaningless. You think This Heat is bad, classic sign of musical insecurity.
>>
>>64646591
No, its a clear sign of me simply not liking a album that others like.
I thought being a true music fan means you can have different opinions, right?
>>
>>64646570
I haven't seen the documentary. I've only listened to his Scott albums and Tilt.
>>
>>64646612
No, being a true music fan means being open to what a piece of music is trying to offer.

Spamming threads calling people "poseurs" for liking something you don't goes far beyond simply disliking something. It rather displays you having a number of deep seated insecurities that you see fit to spew on an anonymous image board for attention.

But of course, I'm just feeding into that need for attention right now. So, like I said before, please fuck off.
>>
File: 1462335902824.png (840 KB, 1029x765) Image search: [Google]
1462335902824.png
840 KB, 1029x765
>>64646414
>replying to that copy pasta cuck
>>
>>64646703
I don't think you understand what a "poseur" is.

A poseur is someone who is shitty about their taste and thinks that they are above other people who listen to /mu/core and other indie music.
They claim to be giving people recs, but really they are just being assholes about it and not letting people chart their own course in music discovery.
They act like music is not subjective but rather objective.

I am open to plenty of music, I love listening to new music and I try to listen to albums that are less "well known" or more experimental all the time.

I don't call people poseurs seriously half the time. But people like Unty define what a poseur is
>>
Dumb DFW poster.
>>
File: dfw o baby.png (128 KB, 274x297) Image search: [Google]
dfw o baby.png
128 KB, 274x297
>>64646548
>I won't play by your rules
>>
Stop posting John Green
>>
>>64646887
So you're saying you are a poseur?

I have witnessed you, with that trip do literally every one of those things you just mentioned as what poseurs do.

I'm sorry man but you are literally the embodiment of the obnoxious narcissistic trip. You should really just go back to being an anon. I realize you probably get off on your /mu/ notoriety/backlash but it isn't worth it.

>unty
Like this is the perfect example. Why do you even give a fuck who unty is. It's like a fucking schoolyard once you tripfags get started. You just start having these insular wars that do nothing but pet your own penitents for internet notoriety.
>>
File: dfw really nigger.png (160 KB, 343x315) Image search: [Google]
dfw really nigger.png
160 KB, 343x315
>>64646985
>>
File: dfw.png (539 KB, 957x710) Image search: [Google]
dfw.png
539 KB, 957x710
>>64646985
>>
>>64647043
No, I don't try to claim my music taste is above anyone's music taste. I don't go around saying "Hey I have the best taste on this board drone me and I am a special snowflake because I rated this album with 16 rates on RYM 5 stars lol".

I know I am the embodiment of the obnoxious narcissistic trip because I try to be that way. It's a mask to get people going on shit.
>>
>>64647099
>It's a mask to get people going on shit.
this is nonsense. You may have convinced yourself you are doing it for this reason but it's way more likely that you are actually simply indulging the narcissistic and obnoxious part of you which I tend to think is a really destructive thing to do. By destructive, I mean to you and your ability to be a good person.
>>
>>64647209
Holy shit m8. You actually shut montie up.

Good taste too. You're an asset.
>>
>>64646887
>thinks that they are above other people who listen to /mu/core and other indie music
I've stated countless times that I've a more elevated taste and appreciation than most people on this board, and it's true. Such things are evinced by the rigor with which I discover the music that I listen to.

This is a simple instance of cause and effect. This is objective. This is non-debatable.

>they claim to be giving people recs, but they are just being assholes about it
I've never once done that.

The last time we spoke, when I said that you know nothing about the music I listen to or my ethos concerning interactions and you promptly dropped the matter, I suggest you adopt this more holistically in your posts. Your opinion of me is informed by nothing but ignorance. If you fail to heed this advice and keep spouting, I'll be forced to resort to the more nefarious means that I've yet to exploit because I consider you such a nil threat.

You're a joke. Making people laugh, that's what you do best and should continue doing, instead of these ill-conceived attempts at criticizing me.

Recognize what's good for you and stick to what you know best.
>>
>>64647702
>>64647099
I refuse to believe that unty and montie actually happened upon this thread independently.

I would bet montie and unty are the same pathetic person.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.