[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When will guitar-driven music (pop, rock, and otherwise) make
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: prince-purple-rain.jpg (64 KB, 468x466) Image search: [Google]
prince-purple-rain.jpg
64 KB, 468x466
When will guitar-driven music (pop, rock, and otherwise) make a comeback, if ever? Anyone else getting synth fatigue?
>>
I don't know what you're listening to if you think guitar driven music isn't still pretty popular. It might not make up most of the top 40 but there's still tons and tons and tons of guitar music being released every year even if it's not as popular as hip hop or synth driven pop music.
>>
>>64644012
When superhero movies die. AKA not soon enough.
>>
>>64644041
I know there's a lot of guitar driven music being made, it just really doesn't have a hold of the zeitgeist. The biggest "rock" bands (Twenty One Pilots, Chvrches, The 1975, Radiohead, Coldplay, Tame Impala, etc) are not very guitar-oriented these days.
>>
>>64644042
>superhero movies die
I think they already are getting stale
I mean, it's becoming obvious even to a not so bright general consumer audience
>>
>>64644106
They're stale but people are still gobbling them up. Just like today's popular music.
>>
>>64644106
>>>64644042
>>superhero movies die
>I think they already are getting stale
Batman v Superman made an ungodly amount of money and Captain America Civil War will likely make even more (and is being well reviewed). Suicide Squad is also going to be massive.
>>
>>64644154
But why though? These movies vies are the same and they're instantly forgettable.

Why isn't Midnight Special a hit? Why isn't Green Room? Keanu? Everybody Wants Some?
>>
>>64644211
I'm not sure what your point is.
>>
>>64644092
Chvrches isn't rock and aren't really all that big. I don't know about Twenty One Pilots. The 1975 aren't guitar oriented? I thought they were a traditional rock band. Radiohead, Coldplay, and Tame Impala are like a mix, which isn't really an issue I don't think. Why only use a portion of your available tools and instruments when you could combine them?

You seem to have the same outlook as those old people from rock bands in the 70s that insist that rock is only one thing and can only be made one way and any other way is shit.
>>
File: muse.jpg (76 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
muse.jpg
76 KB, 1920x1080
>>64644092
this largely popular rock band disagrees

>>
>>64644318
I don't think music made with synthesizers isn't rock. I have a very inclusive definition of rock - notice the picture of Prince on the thread. I'm just saying compared to the past two decades (as opposed to the 80s), it's hard to deny we're in a synths phase. Biggest rock bands of the 90s and you get Oasis, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Weezer, Radiohead at the time, etc. all very guitar driven. In the 2000s with The White Stripes, The Strokes, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Foo Fighters, Arctic Monkeys, etc., you see the same thing.
>>
>>64644041
Didn't Rihanna's new album have a lot of guitar work?
>>
>>64644540
Yeah but they broke out over ten years ago.
>>
File: zootv2.jpg (470 KB, 1380x942) Image search: [Google]
zootv2.jpg
470 KB, 1380x942
>>64644722
Biggest rock band of the 90's was U2 in their Achtune Baby, Zooropa experimental phase. still very guitar driven.
>>
>>64644852
Even today, although they've lost some relevancy, in my personal opinion, U2 are probably still one of the biggest bands of the 21st century. Regardless of whether you like their music or not, it doesn't even come into it.
>>
>>64644012
I hope it's not for awhile. Whiny white boy indie w/ guitars is so passé.
>>
>>64644211
You don't understand how many people there are who will happily pay 20 bucks to see Marvel's latest paint-by-numbers explosions-and-ebig-one-liners shitshow until the day they die
>>
>>64644012
now is the time for bass

listen to bruno mars for guitar funk
>>
File: 1462277815265.jpg (85 KB, 804x802) Image search: [Google]
1462277815265.jpg
85 KB, 804x802
>>64644042
>>64644106
>>64644139
>>64644154
>tfw you always complain about superhero movies being shit but have almost never turned down an excuse to see one
>tfw you loved Batman v. Superman and are going to see Civil War tomorrow, but will pretend to hate it on /tv/ to look patrician
>tfw you gobble up whatever shit Marvel and DC throw at you like the pathetic commoner you really are
>>
>>64645051
>tfw you loved Batman v. Superman and are going to see Civil War tomorrow, but will pretend to hate it on /tv/ to look patrician

Are you really this autistic that you give a flying fuck about the opinions of other people online on an anonymous website? Jesus fucking Christ some people I swear.
>>
>>64644852
>>64644904
Yeah but went they went back to traditional rock in the 00s it was largely mediocre.
>>
In 1982, Michael Jackson had Eddie Van Halen play guitar on "Beat It".

Is there any example as of late that matches this? An extremely popular singer having an extremely popular guitarist from an extremely popular rock band feature in a hit single?
>>
>>64645116
Post Pop Depression..? Idk.
>>
>>64645113
If you don't think U2 is still relevant watch "Songs of Experience' go to #1 the first week of its release and the massive amount of people that will attend their next Stadium tour if they do one to support that album. Us old folks support the bands we like with our wallets while the "social media" generations are much more likely to buy the songs they like ala carte via itunes or outright pirate it. This above all else is why the sales records of Madonna, U2, and the Rolling Stones will probably never be broken or challenged by younger artists.
>>
>>64644904
i have never met a u2 fan in real life. i'm aware they're hugely popular, but honestly. it's like nickleback. how are these bands so massive if no one seems to admit to liking them?
>>
>>64645383
I've never met a U2 fan in real life either but I have met someone who unironically said to me that he was a Nickelback fan. As much as I think they're a trash generic rock band they're not as bad as the internet make them out to be. Although I don't listen to them myself because I think his voice is shit house and Nickelback do a terrible job of sounding grungy as fuck.

He was a nice guy though and I'm not an angsty faggot so I can look past his shit music taste.
>>
>>64644724
lol
>>
>>64645116
Beyoncé just featured Jack White on "Don't Hurt Yourself" on Lemonade.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.