[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I write eerie/unsettling/dark songs? What are common songwriting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (45 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45 KB, 300x300
How do I write eerie/unsettling/dark songs? What are common songwriting tricks to make people feel that way

Pic related
>>
>>64622478
GEORGIAN
MODES

Know em, know how to modulate between them, and if you are feeling adventurous learn some Eastern scales
>>
you have to walk through the darkness
you have to feel the darkness surge through your intestines and out your urethra
you have to be the darkness

tldr: you can't
>>
You just gotta get spooky

like this
https://soundcloud.com/scrimzoola/boneyard-creep
>>
>>64622478
reverb and ooooooooooosss
>>
>What are common songwriting tricks to make people feel that way

Dissonance.

You could exploit the biology of our hearing and specifically use frequencies just under the very bottom of our range; this can cause feels of discomfort, anxiety, unease, and nausea.
>>
It's really hard to write about the dark shit unless you've been there. Like living through depression, suicide attempts, and the loss of loved ones from death and distance makes it easy for me to be able to write about the depth of pain that comes from it.

Honestly OP, talk to your local Zoloft popper. They'll have a story you can use
>>
>>64623393

If you haven't had dark experiences, instead of ripping off someone elses dark experiences, which I think is disrespectful (it's just a post-grunge thing to do), or going out and having dark experiences (bad idea), you can go abstract with it. Try to connect to some darkness within yourself that may not have an obvious external source. In the existential sense. It's okay to write about something creepy that's not real
>>
>>64623508

Here's an example. You probably have paranoid thoughts sometimes, and then you brush them off because they're silly, and if anyone asks you if you're paranoid you're like, ahaha! no way! But pretend you honestly believed those thoughts while writing music, the ones you normally dismiss. Pretty sure that's what Thom does
>>
>>64622478
>unsettling
Set up peoples expectations for how the song will go, then break them.
>>
>>64623508
I can agree with that, but to me it always comes off as fake or forced, u less it's done with extremely delicate hands.

The best stories come from experience, but I'll admit there have been some who can project as if the impossible were real. You just need to handle it carefully.

Me personally, I love when I can hear a singer's experience in their lyrics. Make the impact of the music much stronger, but again, that's my personal opinion.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.