[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
....it's just a bunch of musical memes, I don't get it.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (55 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55 KB, 400x400
....it's just a bunch of musical memes, I don't get it.
>>
And you never will, OP. You never, ever will.....
>>
The Vegetable cycle is literally a shitpost
>>
obviously. The Mothers were the original shitposters
>>
i didn't like freak out until i heard pet sounds. so mabye you should try similar music first.
>>
I heard 'We're only in it for the money' and I swear it's the original memerock

unless tmr came first
>>
>>64620179

It's actually pretty beautifully written besides the humor part where they sing out of tune and play kind of careless and sloppy for fun.

Also you have to be into dissonance in music.
>>
>>64621371
No Absolutely Free and In It For The Money came about before TMR
>>
frank zappa was a cookie cutter.

hes not a real artist. hes just all over the place. hes just satire. hes just a phase to white boys into the weed culture, like bob marley, the Beatles and pink floyd.
>>
Early Mothers records were the musical equivalent of /b/.
>>
>>64622621
I think the early work he did with the Mothers was great. I feel like he should have moved on after Hot Rats. The humor he used in his music following that just felt out of place and didn't really help the music, and by the 80's it just felt stupid and mean spirited. He could have had a great musical career as a mainly instrumental prog artist, moving onto classical in the 80's, and thus his career would be broken up into three phases.
>>
invocation & ritual dance of the young pumpkin is fucking beautiful
>>
>>64622708
nah, frank was never "great", he was just a virtuoso in established music.

Had he when to purely electronic during the 80s synth era and did some quips with some sound direction, he would've blown up like crazy. I guarantee it.
>>
>>64622745
desu

Also the instrumentation for The Duke Of Prunes is gorgeous.

Here's the original btw:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym4pE09FbJc
>>
>>64622708
I kinda feel you, but there's some songs I could never give up for respectable, instrumental Frank.

Would giving up He's So Gay and Bobby Brown and maybe even Joe's Garage be worth not having Thing-Fish? I can't say I know myself
>>
>>64622621
He didn't like drugs, so...
>>
>>64622839
proof that zappa was a musical genius
>>
>>64622708
I totally feel you when you say it got mean spirited though. Some stuff off You Are What You Is feels just really preachy and whiny. I kinda get the same feeling from his later stuff that I do with Carlin's later stuff--a once great satirist who just ended up a grouchy old man
>>
>>64623030
Jammin' in New York is better than the majority of his 70s output senpai
>>
>>64623030
he ended his career on a high note, though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imAWVWi5PIU
>>
>>64623030
Carlin got better with age imo. Despite great material his classic stage presence doesn't hold up as well to the command of his later albums and specials. As a performer the 'grouchy old man' persona helped a lot.
>>
>>64623110
I just know some people felt he got too mean spirited and it didn't feel like cathartic complaining with your bud at the bar, and more like an old man yelling at you. Some people dug him to the very end, and if you do, great.

As for Zappa, he definitely was still making great music later in his career, but the comedy/satire element of it I feel weakened over time
>>
>>64622621
>hes just satire

yup. hes just deconstruction and references, like mr bungle. a trick that gets old after a while.
>>
File: The-Grand-Wazoo-cover.jpg (309 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
The-Grand-Wazoo-cover.jpg
309 KB, 900x900
>>64622621
Excuse me?
>>
>>64622621
Meh, his sound was way ahead of its time in the 60s, after that he was a cookie cutter, one who could pump out tunes endlessly. Also hes a pretty fucking good guitar player
>>
>>64623147
>a trick that gets old after a while.
yea but what doesn't
>>
>>64623400
>way ahead of its time

I don't really understand this.

There's so much music that I can enjoy divorced from its historical context - why would anybody spend time and effort convincing themselves that they like an album because it was historically important?
>>
>>64623475
Someone said he was a cookie cutter, that was the context of my statement you doofus, and to further my point, its all perfectly good music in the first place, albeit not for everyone
>>
>>64623147
Ah, I see you haven't listened past 1969.
>>
>>64623512
There is no such thing as 'good music'
>>
>>64623865
im sorry, i thought you were a pleb so I was talking in terms that a pleb would understand, but i can clearly see your patrish so its all good :)
>>
Absolutely Free is great - flows very well as an album. An underrated Zappa-album I think.

Sure it has more blatant meme'ing with the Stravinsky quotes and such and it wasn't until Uncle Meat that Zappa started really finding more of a unique style, but it's still a very enjoyable album

also music in general is just memes
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.