[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Interesting small genres
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: cvr_ritual.jpg (68 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
cvr_ritual.jpg
68 KB, 500x500
Hey guys
I'm getting into doing some music research for a radio show that I'll be hosting in the future. I'm basically looking at niche genres outside the mainstream. I've done some work on Exotica (pic related) and Vaporwave, planning on looking at Witch House but I'm looking for some other interesting genres.
>>
call me a faggot but im a fan of black midi
>>
>>64616993
OP here: I was thinking of looking at that too
>>
Inuit Throat Singing would be cool I think
>>
>>64616948
>>64616948
possibly a little too well-known but I've been binging on Berlin School, so that's a possiblity.

If thats no good, look up City Pop.
Good example of City Pop: https://my.mixtape.moe/funivb.mp3
Sparkle, by Tatsuro Yamashita
>>
Exotica is cool.
Some other potential considerations:
Eurobeat, MIDIgrind, (/cybergrind/digigrind/e-grind) denpa, lolicore (if you feel like being legitimately edgy in a non-jokey way), nintendocore (specifically the bands and solo projects comprised of teenage boys using FL studio cause they don't get enough love when the genre is mentioned by people who only understand it as a novelty), synthpunk, doujin Touhou music derivations, based rap, seapunk, "LA beat scene", japanoise, free improvisation, IDM, microtonal music...
I was scraping the barrel at the end there but I was trying to come up with as much as I could think of.
>>
>>64617062
Throat singing (in general) is a good pick too.
>>
>>64616948
Most of these 'genres' are simply subsections of genres you already know and love. You don't see people claiming djent and deathcore are genres on their own. Your age doesn't exempt you from this principle.
>>
>>64617520
gen·re
ˈZHänrə/
noun
a category of artistic composition, as in music or literature, characterized by similarities in form, style, or subject matter.
synonyms: category, class, classification, group, set, list;
>>
>>64617674
Accipitriformes is an order not a class you pigeon.
>>
>>64616948
time stretch music maybe. not sure if its a 'real' genre but it sounds unique enough in my opinion
>>
Wizard rock had a relatively healthy scene for the while, not sure what it would be like today. Harry and the Potters are the obvious band at the forefront with several other acts having cropped up for an album or two over the years.
>>
>>64618816
haha forgot about wizard rock lmao

reminded me of nerd rap
>>
Lowercase is an interesting genre. Never did much for me, but I appreciate the idea behind it.
>>
>>64618933
Excuse me I think you're referring to nerdcore lol

Primary difference between wrock and nerdcore was that wrock was based around a focused common passion and wasn't strictly limited in style despite the name. Nerdcore has a much bigger umbrella and also brought on board people who did not otherwise participate in hip hop culture at all which just made it all kinda weird.
>>
>>64617520

deathcore is 1000% its own genre

literally the only reason people say otherwise is because they dont like it
>>
>>64620305
It's literally metalcore with death metal influences which are both 7th or 8th generation strains of rock music.
>>
>>64620430
You can distill any music down to art, folk, or pop if you want to, why can't a community of musicians choose a word for their music?
>>
>>64617245
i'm doing research of city pop to do a comp
>>64616948
I have done one of exotica already
https://mega.co.nz/#!LcZVkb4R!iFskQhIrCl3eTNwXVSg2ThxiT-kA4inRM284k_hW0pI
>>
OP here
Thank guys, you've given me some awesome stuff to work with
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.