[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
when did you realize that the doors were the pinnacle of rock music?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (497 KB, 1526x1132) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
497 KB, 1526x1132
when did you realize that the doors were the pinnacle of rock music?
>>
When I was in 7th grade
>>
When I was 20 and I still believe it
>>
Not yet
>>
Their debut album is a literal 4/10.
>>
>>64596770
>>64596780
>>64597236
>>64597715
sup reddt enjoying it here?
>>
>>64596760
the doors were smash mouth of the 60s
>>
File: 1461868280677.png (376 KB, 900x702) Image search: [Google]
1461868280677.png
376 KB, 900x702
>>64597715
>>
>>64598002

But the Doors is prime reddit-core.
>>
>>64599311
This

Wildly inconsistent albums too
>>
>>64599311
>>64599563
*hits 'incorrect' neon sign button*
>>
>>64599604
name a consistent Doors album
>>
>>64599626
Strange days
>>
>>64599729
yeah true, Horse Latitudes is such a banger XD
>>
>Listen to their self-titled debut

>19th ranked on RYM, consistently jerked off over on /mu/, 5th ranked Scaruffi-core who is a real stickler, so I'm thinking "Man, here's a sure-fire good album"

>Finish listening

>Eyes are glazed over

>Light my fire is a 7.5/10, The End is an 8/10, the opening track is a 6/10, and the rest are literally between 3 and 5 out of 10, averaging about 4/10.

I'm not even hipster about most stuff but damn is the consensus wrong about this album. Holy fuck lol.
>>
>>64599889
Agree with you on nearly everything but Break On Through deserves higher than a 6 my man
>>
>>64599889
It's a mediocre album from a terrible band.
>>
>>64599962
Everyone but Jim is pretty fucking good at their instrument. Jim just memes it up and dominates

>muh doors of perception
>>
>>64596760
>clown music
>pinnacle of rock
jej
>>
Rock music ruined music.
>>
all you have to do is grab the handle and step on through the door(frame)
>>
If Jim Morrison was called Jim Meowison they'd be called The Catflaps
>>
>>64599311
>not knowing who Scaruffic is
LOL!
>>
>>64596760
me on the left
>>
>>64596760
Same.

>>64596780
Same.

>>64597715
kek

>>64599626
Morrison Hotel for one, and then everything they've ever put out.
>>
>>64601341
Rock music made music very popular, for the better and the worse.
>>
>>64601444
And allowed it to branch out to the point where you can find stuff you like and stuff you don't like.

Declaring a specific genre trash or the entirety of modern music as such is the defining trait of being a hipster aspie.
>>
>>64601341
>music ruined music

I feel you bro, I only listen to field recordings on cassette.
>>
>>64601475
Yeah, it has made music a lot more viable than most other arts, where you have to be very well settled and have a lot of free time to dedicate a lot of it to the art, and still only the top 2% will make a living of it, while not having very big startup costs like film. The only problem is pop industry marketing music like they market movies, but thankfully music is still big enough for indepedent artists to wade through it.
>>
>>64602148
Which is a root problem of capitalism and the "free" market as a whole.

To decry the quality of these works simply because they're forced to adhere to the horrors of modern existence is silly, in my honest opinion. Yes, it may be commercial, but it has to be.

In certain cases anyway.
>>
When i was 16. One year later with 17 i grew out of my doors phase.
Nothing wrong, but it will over for you as well OP ;)
>>
>>64596760
they're okay. I like that other band better.
>>
>>64602280
the beetles
>>
>>64602180
>Which is a root problem of capitalism and the "free" market as a whole.
What do you expect, the government to subsidize arts?
At least today you can educate yourself, download software for free and create music just by spending money on a PC and internet, which is also the result of capitalism
>>
>>64602360
> What do you expect, the government to subsidize arts?

Yes, actually, I do. Because it has been done before, and has led to some utterly incredible results.

Check out Yugoslav modernism as an example. No surprise there, then again. The one place where commuism has worked.
>>
File: Yes-close[1].jpg (102 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Yes-close[1].jpg
102 KB, 300x300
>>64596760
I think you meant yes bro
>>
>>64602428
> Two different sub-genres of rock
> One arguably more influential than the other
> Implying Pink Floyd didn't do what Yes did better

b8
>>
>>64599982
>Jim just memes it up and dominates
Exactly why he was so great. He was the ultimate rock frontman. Drugged out of his mind all the time, no real other talents outside of charisma and looks, a mysterious persona with no inhibitions or ideas of what he can or can't do.

Those qualities were simultaniously his best and his worst ones. That's why he worked so amazingly with The Doors, who others were amazing creative geniuses but bland personalities.

The Doors didn't have a single bad album and were a phenomena that countless others tried to imitate long after they were done.
>>
>>64602456
>Pink Floyd
>Better than Yes

Bait.
>>
File: Yplh18u[1].png (26 KB, 527x409) Image search: [Google]
Yplh18u[1].png
26 KB, 527x409
>>64602456
>>
>>64602494
> Implying that Tales of Topographic Oceans wasn't the only good record they ever made
> Implying that anything they've made outside of that can even hold half a candle to the Floyd
> Implying David Gilmour isn't one of the greatest musicians ever
> Implying

I bet you like Red more than In The Court Of The Crimson King, faggot.
>>
>>64602389
Subsidizing architecture, or even classical orchestras is very different than subsidizing rock music. The day rock music is being funded by the state is the day rock musicians have nothing to write about and no one to be angry against
>>
>>64602528
>I bet you like Red more than In The Court Of The Crimson King, faggot.

Implying In The Court Of The Crimson King was ever good to begin with
>>
>>64602564
They also subsidized rock music, actually, and because it was a state that openly accepted self-criticism on all levels, it eliminated the need for a counter-culture. Instead it accepted everything as culture.

And lo and behold, rock artists still had plenty to be angry about.
>>
>>64602528
My favorite King Crimson record is actually Discipline. Red is about as good as ITCOTCK. You have an interesting opinion tho. I respect it.
>>
>>64602603
I am genuinely interested, can you give me some sources of articles, books or music on it?
>>
Same time I realized rock music is shit.
>>
>>64602638
Discipline is legitimately amazing on every level, but I still prefer ITCOTCK, probably because of the fact that I grew up on that record.

On a separate side-note, Thick as a Brick by Jethro Tull is a masterpiece of prog. Thanks, dad.

>>64602663
You're gonna have trouble finding anything that isn't in Croatian/Serbian/Slovenian on it, but there's a good book about Yugoslav youth culture, I just can't recall the title. It's on my desk at home. Seeing as I'm in a hotel right now, though, I can't dig up the name by heart.

It revolves around what is known as ex-yu rock today, and how their sound and style developed under the tenure of the government. Fascinating, chilling stuff.

As for more diverse sources, once again, you're looking at local music magazines and stuff that isn't available in English. The reason for that is that the West cannot allow the memory of Yugoslavia to live on, because if they do, they also have to acknowledge that communism has, at one point, worked really, really well.

Also, on a broader side of things relating to Yugoslavia in general, I recommend delving into the ideas of direct democracy they experimented with in the 1960's (peaking in 1963), and women's rights between 1946 and 1949. Fascinating, fascinating stuff.

My mother is an art historian on the period, so I get a lot of my sources from there.
>>
I like Van Morrison more than Jim Morrison :)
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.