[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/prod/ - Production General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4
File: Main02.jpg (390 KB, 587x370) Image search: [Google]
Main02.jpg
390 KB, 587x370
Can this thread last longer than one fucking day edition

>Production Resources: (Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff...)
http://pastebin.com/jew3GPCZ

>/prod/ IRC is up!
To join, you can go to http://www.rizon.net/chat
Choose a nickname, put #/prod/ as channel. Enter!
Or get a lightweight desktop client here: https://hexchat.github.io/downloads.html

Use clyp.it to post your tracks/WIP

NO SOUNDCLOUD LINKS
>>
Somebody post clyp.it for feedback
>>
File: 1456357238519.jpg (48 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1456357238519.jpg
48 KB, 600x600
https://clyp.it/ne0hsa4n

>yes I know I've been spamming this

Feedback please? Why is it so boring?
>>
Do I need a keyboard?
>>
OK big question here...

Plug ins. I don't want mediocre suggestions. I've been making music for years, and I'm starting to wonder, really, what is the best software synthesizer to use, soundwise?

I use ES2 in Logic the most, but really it runs out of possibilities fast, and doesn't sound that good...

I used to use FM8 but it sounds like cucked out trash, and Massive always sounded like shit to me too.
And aside from synths, what about effects? compression?

Is there really any reason to find a better compressor and EQ than the ones offered by Logic? Limiter? I'm not convinced that getting new plugins can significantly improve your musical output. If anything it can become a distraction.

Prove me wrong.
>>
>>64596679
>https://clyp.it/ne0hsa4n
its boring because its the same two chords over and over again. also the intro is too long. if this entire track was an intro to a FIRE ASS album, it would be fine, but if this is the best you can do, you need to work on songwriting. it sounds like this has absolutely no thought put into structure or mood whatsoever.
>>
>>64596679
If you've been spamming it and not getting feedback then it means people aren't interested, make something new. I personally think it sounds fine, maybe play with some automation on your synths.
>>
>>64596822
If you can drop the money on it, Komplete is an excellent package. Has basically everything you need for a home setup.
>>
>>64597415
Yeah, but he got cucked by FM8 and Massive.
>>
>>64596822
serum
>>
whats your opinion on lmms? is it shit?
>>
>>64596822
>I'm not convinced that getting new plugins can significantly improve your musical output.

No, it can't. They can provide inspiration though.

The compressor and EQ in Logic are great, unless you're going for some esoteric sound for chin strokers you don't need anything else.

As for synths etc. what sort of music do you make?
>>
all i want is a jai paul track produced by four tet
>>
Some thoughts about song length
I had this track by lorn running ten to fifteen times a day for the last few days.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxg4C365LbQ
It was the same when I initially discovered the song and now a year later that I rediscovered it.
And I'm thinking like, yeah sure it's a good track but then I start reading the youtube comments and 290 people liked a comment stating that they can't stop playing the song and while I realize that that's a rather popular comment on popular youtube videos, I still think there might be something to it with this particular track.
It's quite short (2:52) and the vocals don't repeat themselves and I think it might be these two factors that leave people longing for more.
So this may be a very successful concept of track design.
>>
>>64599076
>cont
I make ambient myself so my tracks tend to get quite lengthy but I'm starting to wonder if it's unnecessary, maybe even counter productive for the listener.
I like to listen to long tracks myself but it just might not be a very successful concept.
I'm thinking about BOC and how a lot of their tracks are really short and it works really well in an album.
Same for flylo.
I never really thought about this very much
>>
What are some new tendencies in electronic music/electronic music production?
(Please no EDM) gotta stay fresh and inspired
>>
>>64599076
There was a scientific study done on the ideal length of a pop song, they came up with 2:42 as the perfect length.

As for whether that applies to other genres? That completely depends on how interesting the song is. A lot of the shorter BoC and FlyLo tracks are essentially looping phrases, hence why brevity helps them not overstay their welcome.

As for your own ambient pieces, length often helps with ambient music as it's usually intended to be a texture that creates a state of mind rather than what could be termed a 'journey'. Slowly evolving ambient pieces can be very rewarding to the listener and it's often the extended length that accomplishes this. If you're making something that's only a couple of minutes long you have to create something with an immediacy, requiring a different compositional approach, otherwise the pieces can seem fleeting, not having the chance to immerse you fully.
>>
>>64596679
This is actually really good production wise. Love the textural samples, sounds great.
>>
I want a synth that's:

analog
monophonic (though poly is fine too)
keyless
lots of knobs/sliders/whatever
doesn't require patch cables

Ideas?
>>
I can't sing at all, should I just kill myself now (or give up)
>>
>>64600119
try a kazoo, sounds perfect
>>
>>64600242
A slide whistle is more fitting.
>>
>>64600242
xD

this thread is epic
>>
>>64600119
mintaur
>>
>>64600119
bass station 2 will get you the most bang for your buck if you're on a budget.
>>
>>64599882
thanks for the input!
I thought it might be interesting to have an ambient album with some short filler tracks.
>>
>>64600306
>>64600242

Sorry I ignored your keyless requirement.

analog 4?
Pulse 2?
PerFourMer?
MiniMoog rack?
Tetra?
>>
>>64600365
Definitely do that. changing up and reworking your compositional style can be very inspiring. There are some great albums which are long track > short track > short track repeated and it can help to create a real sense of transition and progression in an album when ideas only pop up for a short time.
>>
what does the Y axis measure?
>>
>>64600434
Some context? What program is this?
>>
>>64600434
correlation
>>
>>64599882
>Slowly evolving ambient pieces can be very rewarding to the listener
This. I'm a megapleb who listens to short pop-y tunes on repeat for days but my favorites are slow >5 minute stuff with ambient elements.
>>
>>64600499
it's a vectorscope from izotope ozone
>>
>>64600561
http://help.izotope.com/docs/ozone/pages/meters_vectorscope.htm
>>
>>64596679
Don't listen to these fags this is gr8, though I'm assuming it's just a small part of a bigger whole
>>
I think the birds outside my window are adapting their singing to the pitch of the sound I'm playing
>>
>>64601435
acid is a hell of a drug
>>
https://clyp.it/4zxdbmoi

It feels like its coming along nicely.
What do you think senpaitachi?
Is it interesting?
>>
>>64596822
There is a TB 303 plugin that sounds really like the analog, you might wanna check it out.

It's called Venon Tb 303
>>
>tfw new monitors

Feels good man.
>>
Anyone using Garageband on ipad for idea sketching? Its really neat for on the go and you can import the project into Logic and work from there. Im wondering if the pencil works with Garageband, anyone knows?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (11 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
11 KB, 480x360
>>64601992
>tfw same mediocre headphones
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.