[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the most patrician Elliott Smith songs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 2
File: elliott-smile5002.jpg (42 KB, 500x348) Image search: [Google]
elliott-smile5002.jpg
42 KB, 500x348
What are the most patrician Elliott Smith songs?
>>
The biggest lie
>>
>alameda
>>
>elliot smith
>patrician

rather just listen to paul mccartney and harry nilsson myself but whatever listen to the songwriter equivalent of oasis
>>
ha trick question
>>
the one where he mumbles about heroin
>>
>>64592408
Christian Brothers or Rose Parade.
>>
Memory Lane

Tomorrow Tomorrow

Southern Belle

Independence Day

See You Later and Half Right

There's a lot of them. Just look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZrcachTSCU

not one of my favorites but goddamn those chord changes
>>
>patrician songs
pretty stupid tbqh

but ill give you my fav elliot songs:
-no name 1
-no name 2
-st ides heaven
-biggest lie
-ballad of big nothing
-angeles
-waltz 2
-bled white
-junk bond trader
-l.a.
-coast to coast
-strung out
-kings crossing
-twilight
-shooting star
-angel in the snow
-new monkey
-half right

that's just my opinion tho

>>64592462
elliott smith had more talent in his pinky finger than noel/liam

what an asinine comparison
>>
>>64592601
Yr a nerd
>>
>>64592659
if by nerd you mean a huge fan of elliott smith

then yeah
>>
>>64592601
This. He has heaps upon heaps of unreleased recording he just never put out that would put Oasis' guitarist to shame, among many others

Like this song for instance, was never even recorded. This isn't even on the Grand Mal bootleg, it's just a live recording. He didn't even see this song good enough to be recorded. He was very prolific.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF_x7_Bgeq0
>>
>>64592713
if you haven't already, you should check out "confusion: live unreleased songs"

it's sorta like grand mal but with live tracks only
>>
>Nobody picking O So Slow or Melodic Noise

lol fake ass fans haven't listened to the unreleased experimental songs that would have made FABOTH the best album ever made

>>64592462
Uh-oh retard alert class
>>
>>64592755
what you mean this?
http://www.rawkblog.net/2008/01/elliott-smith-complete-unreleased-songs-live/

This list that one guy compiled on his blog? I've heard most of those tracks, and some of them are actually on Grand Mal, like Dancing on the Highway.
>>
>>64592755
>>64592900
Nevermind, I just found it on RYM. I'm going to download this.

I think he's so underrated even with the fame he got and to this day deserves to be more recognized.
>>
>>64592432
> Not a Husker Du cover
Fucking dropped
>>
>>64592838
I'm >>64592601
I didn't list any unreleased songs because I wanted to make a list most people could search out. I like both those songs, also like "kill fuck"

>>64592900
>>64592952
uh, I don't know where to find it anymore. i dont even have grand mal. i actually have all of his music from the original leaks that ive categorized by era. i think confusion is like the "grand mal" of live music

but seriously, i have everything that has leaked on the internets, so if someone needs something, let me know
>>
of all his achingly beautiful songs, I think the last hour may be the very most achingly beautiful
>>
>>64593077
Do you have a non-shitty version of his Long, Long, Long cover from his last show? It would be super heartbreaking if all the versions I could find didn't sound like dick
>>
>>64593238
nah, sorry. whomever taped the show had a shitty recorder. there's really nothing that can be done.

i feel your pain tho
>>
>>64593077
I found it on soulseek. people have been uploading concerts and bootlegs from him on that medium since 2002
>>
>>64593065
i dont get it
>>
>>64593365
cool, enjoy
>>
>>64593427
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaFzmC9DrKY

imho

biggest lie (elliott) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> biggest lie (husker du)

i like husker du tho
>>
>>64593458
So did you watch Heaven Adores You, what did you think of it? What was your favorite era of his work? He's been my favorite artist for a few years now.
>>
>>64593481
Elliott circa 1992 would've loved to cover that, he also probably knew of Husker Du, but I have no proof
>>
>>64593551
i liked it, but i felt it was a little evasive when it came to his "issues"

i feel like every one who tried to give a biography of elliott's life was (involuntary or not) caught up in the whole did she do it?! (chiba) business. in other words, chiba's input was noticeably missing from the doc, and chiba was in that shitty book "heaven adores you..." but then most people wouldn't talk to him because of her

so we have two different narratives and no one wants to budge.

as for my fav era... it's a tie between his earliest stuff (roman candle/self titled) and his last album. i do enjoy either/or, xo and figure 8, i just love the brutal honestly of his earlier work and the work proceeding his death (and I do think, regardless of what you think happened, he anticipated his death)

>>64593588
i dunno, elliott smith didn't seem to like heatmiser all that music
>>
>>64593695
oh shit, sorry, im drunk. the book wasn't "heaven adores you" it was "torment saint"

the doc was "heaven adores you"

by bad
>>
I've always heard rumors he was molested as a kid. Any truth to that?
>>
>>64593695
Alright, to get it out of the way real quick, I think was really into being into "punk" for the Dirt era of Heatmiser. In that one interview with that Russian guy in the beginning of the Doc, he says something about Elliott's Grammy performance being punk and Elliott laughs, also with the Coming Up Roses video, dying his hair, and this and that, it's obvious he respects the aesthetic and style. He also grew up wanting to BE Joe Strummer and Elvis Costello, they're both punk if you ask me. He genuinely seemed to embrace the loud sound of Heatmiser from '92-'93, but I think his true passion as a Dallas boy was to make melodic folk type music. Also, he was getting too old for that shit then, he was like 25 when Roman Candle came out.

From a Basement on a Hill took me a long time to accept as a cohesive album because I was so distraught on how down Elliott was at that time. In my honest opinion, and from previous experiences in my life, I think Elliott never got over losing Joanna like that, and Chiba was his crutch. Whether he killed himself or not, I don't know, and I don't care. I've never read that book and I'm not going to, it's not the one by Autumn De Wilde is it?
>>
>>64593850
no one (aside from his close friends) really know

we know that his step father (charlie) abused him

what that "abuse" entails, no one will really say

at the very least, you can asume his step father was mentally/psychically abusive. eliott and charlie (his stepfather) made amends before he died, but again, no one knows if the abuse was sexual

off the top of my head: no confidence man, abuse and flowers for charlie relate off the top of my head

elliott was very well known for not sharing his personal experiences tho... few friends have mentioned that he told them "stuff" while he was very drunk, but dare not repeat it
>>
>>64593936
This gets way too far into it imo, but an article I read somewhere revealed that when Elliott was getting sober he'd have flashbacks to repressed memories of Charlie taking him up to the attic, and then "everything went black". Yes they made amends, but about a month after he killed himself, he was supposed to go to a Thanksgiving dinner with him and see him for the first time in years. This, along with the terrible process of getting clean, may have been too much for him.

Either Charlie definitely molested him and the article is true, or he just hated his stepfather so much that he wrote songs hinting at him being a terrible man. I think it might be the latter. If I were really molested I would tell someone. But there's just no way in hell I could relate to this, so i dont know
>>
>>64593936
Christian Brothers is also about his stepfather.

I've started watching interviews and stuff with him and he seemed like such a kind soul, it's incredibly sad. Watched one where he discussed his songwriting process. "Just write stuff you want to hear, because if you liked it, then it must've been something special right?" rip
>>
The White Lady Loves You More
>>
>>64593907
Hi,
This is just my opinion: I think he 100% respected punk... but by 1993, he was recording "Roman Candle." I think he very intensely disliked the first two Heatmiser albums. I mean, I think Neal Gust wasn't super fond of them too...but looking at the music Elliott did before Heatmiser (Strager Than Fiction/Murder For Crows) and the music "after heatmiser," I'm not so sure that he *really* identified with the punk movement. To me, artists like Nick Drake and Nico were his real "idols."

The book is not by Autumn De Wilde (her book is decently actually, but more of a picture book). I'm thinking of the book by William Todd Schultz, who never knew Elliottt. The most infuriating part of the book is that he spends 90% of the time interpreting Ellliot's lyrics and comparing him to Kurt Cobain. If you can get over that, then there is some useful information in the book.

>>64594032
I think it's really difficult to speculate. One way or another, Charlie did "something" to Elliott that really messed with him. Unless one of Elliott's friends open up about what exactly happened, we don't know.

I think on whatever level, Charlie had a bad influence on Elliott's life. What that entails. your guess is as good as mind..... but it seems like whatever Charlie did, he (Charlie) felt guilty about it.
>>
>>64594094
yeah, elliott was a kind soul, very sensitive. for whatever reason (probably depression) drugs and alcohol allured him.

it's fucking sad. elliott was obviously insanely talented. whether he did it, or associated himself with someone who would "do it," he was preoccupied with death

we lost a very, very talented musicain
>>
>>64594291
I've never heard Elliott say anything good about Nick Drake, I've only heard interviewers compare them to eachother. And I agree, like I said, his true passion was to make music like the Beatles and Bob Dylan. I wouldn't consider Nico an "Idol" of his, I read he was really into the Marble Index for a while in college, and he also covers These Days, which isn't actually by Nico.
I see a lot of similarities to Elliott in Kurt Cobain. I think Elliott secretly wished he could've had a band like Nirvana, but he missed out and "played it too safe" by getting a masters degree in philosophy and psychology in which he never used. That's why I said he was probably getting too old for it. Interestingly enough, I've never once heard Elliott say anything about Kurt, or vice versa, (kurt died in 94 which is probably why), but they seemed to have so much in common and both artists really resonate with me well. They both used to play in Portland frequently, with the Dharma Bums especially.
Also, I recently read in an article that Garrick Duckler from a Murder of Crows wrote 90% of Elliott's lyrics and requested not to be credited. With songs like Needle In The Hay, Single File, White Lady, Condor Ave, and all the blatant heroin references, I can kinda differentiate which ones are written by who. This Garrick guy was an amazing poet. I could see Elliott going for the "ex-grunge band member goes solo and starts using heroin" approach for his s/t, kind of satirizing the whole thing. Because although he was an alcoholic to an extent, he didn't start using heroin until the XO/Figure 8 era. The article also said that King's Crossing was a song from his high school days with lyrics by Duckler. I could look for the article and link it here if you'd like.
>>
>>64594549
okay, well my anecdote comes from "torment saint," where a nick drake boxset was a gift froma friend. perhaps you know better about her personal feelings about nick drake... but it was more of an idea... that he liked music like the beatles, bob dylan, big star, nico than the "punk" music of heatmiser.

i disagree that he wanted a band like nirvana tho, he seemed to really, really resent heatmiser and i have to assume that a rock band like nirvana would invoke a similar reaction, namely that he was pretending to be something that he is not.

i also dont think kurts death in 94 is relevant, cause elliot was active for many years before that... and im sure he was aware of nirvana (sorta curious if elliot even eommented on it).

the garrick duckler this is misleading. garrick duckler, himself, estimated that he had a "line or two" in every second elliott song. even without assuming that he is over estimating his importance, that's hardly ""90%"... in all likelyhood, it's probably much lower than 10%

funny thing here, condor ave was prob one of the songs that had very heavy garrick duclker influences, it exists from the murder of grows days

either way, i think you're putting way too much weight into the duckler thing. i'd recommend you check out "torment saint," where this idea comes from, and duckler only takes credit for a small portion of his work (no where near "90%")... and even then we have a guy living to tell the story and a guy dead who cant defend himself. whatever article you read sounds like bs to me personally.
>>
>>64595430
okay, for sure, you seem like you know your shit. thanks for clearing that up, cuz i seriously thought most of my favorite lyrics in s/t were from Garrick.
>>
>>64595430
If you're still there, I think Heatmiser was his attempt to "make it big". And yeah, he ended up hating it.

Elliott was not nearly on the same level as Nirvana for many years before that. Those Stranger Than Fiction and Murder of Crows cassettes were just hometown experiments he recorded with Tony Lash on his summers off from school. Either/Or was when he actually started to get some kind of national attention, before that he was just a staple in the Portland underground. He has commented on Nirvana and Mudhoney

From Wikipedia:

"Smith felt his solo songs were not representative of the music Heatmiser was making: "The idea of playing [my music] for people didn't occur to me... because at the time it was the Northwest—Mudhoney and Nirvana—and going out to play an acoustic show was like crawling out on a limb and begging for it to be sawed off.""

Sadly, if you want to make any money at all, you kind of have to conform to what's new and big. You can make it into your own, but you still have to conform, and that's probably what he hated. I imagine he kind of hated bands like Alice in Chains and Mudhoney. I just would find it very interesting to hear his opinion on Nirvana and Kurt. They really are fairly similar in musical influences, they were just brought up in two completely different ways musically.

I like how Elliott supports artists that directly represent him, have helped him, or are a part of his scene as he branched out of heatmiser and found himself. Like the Minders, Softies, Supergrass, and Quasi. And then Kurt would rep bands like Shonen Knife, Half Japanese, Fitz of Depression (Which Elliott appears on a compilation with, again, Portland), and of course the Melvins. I just like that for some reason. They were both very true to their roots.
>>
I am Elliott smiths biggest fan desu. I've gone across country visit every venue he's played in; seen his high school, his home in la. I'd seen everything Elliott smith read every book seen every band he's been affiliated with. His best stuff comes from Roman Candle and his self titled. Condor Avenue is his best, though you can reAlly get into his stuff through his grand mal posthumous release; has all his unreleased tracks. Elliott was a genius and beautiful
>>
>>64597003
I'm a huge fan too, but I'd say Either/Or was the best release, I go back and forth between that and S/T. Have you met anyone affiliated with him?
>>
>>64596958
oh I also forgot that both artists were affiliated with Calvin Johnson/Beat Happening, and Mary Lou Lord. They've crossed paths quite a few times.
>>
>>64597049
ive had a few. I hung out with Sam Coomes in Portland probably a decade ago after a show. My girlfriend at the time hung around his crowd l. Recently I've hung out with Doug Martsch. I bought him a slice of pizza a year ago I think. He was a super sweet dude. Both were close friends to Elliott but I didn't ask them about him. Doug was wearing the same Portland trailblazers tee I'd seen him wear in some pictures he'd been in with Elliott though. I had to refrain asking
>>
>>64597150
Wow, that is amazing... So you know Doug Martsch personally? I wouldn't have asked either honestly. Maybe I would've asked Sam Coomes since they toured and played together, but not a guy from a completely different band. I didn't even know they were friends like that.
>>
https://soundcloud.com/suicide-squeeze-records/no-confidence-man-by-elliott-smith
>>
No Name Number 5
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.