[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /mu think about free jazz?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: john-coltrane-meditations[1].jpg (44 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
john-coltrane-meditations[1].jpg
44 KB, 500x500
What does /mu think about free jazz?
>>
>>64590346
It's great and makes me feel great
That album is perfect btw
>>
>>64590371
I agree with this guy. It's just extremely fun to listen to. There's so much to hear. Idk how to explain it
Can someone explain why I like free jazz?
>>
I loveee free jazz. No idea why, really. I'm wondering if anyone can find something similar to Science Fiction by Ornette Coleman, especially the title track. The rest of the album is excellent, but I love the complete chaos of that song
>>
>>64590346
Cool jazz is best jazz
>>
Free jazz is pretty humorous. That's why I like it.
>>
Also, what's the squealing instrument ~6 minutes into "The Father And The Son And The Holy Ghost" on that album?? Is that just a sax or what?
>>
Free Jazz is for people who are too untalented for real jazz.
>>
It's beautiful and beyond conventional language. Touches on something deep within and is freeing if you give it attention
>>
>>64590680

Define real jazz. And give specific examples please.
>>
File: Klass.BraxtonBailey.jpg (83 KB, 325x326) Image search: [Google]
Klass.BraxtonBailey.jpg
83 KB, 325x326
I dunno

I thought I read that >pic related isn't as free as you'd think. I love it, it's every time it's a journey somewhere that changes every listen

Ornette, I've a five disc set and The Shape of Jazz to Come is it free? it doesn't sound it but it's the perfect album.

with some of the other I think it struggles, it's a pleasant experience but, it gets a bit honky without touching me,

Meditations, not heard, Love Suprme, it's compositional so not really free huh?

um, the coltrane / Monk at Carnegie is around compositions put the plating seems free, there is a conversation happening and it's special , it's a good conversation to listen through beautiful music.

Is music nicer than speaking?
>>
i appreciate the idea of it and enjoy it from time to time, but don't listen to it on a regular basis
>>
>>64590735
not him but i honestly think the idea of atonality in general is just easier to do by default. there are more ways to avoid playing something that sounds conventionally "good" than there are of playing it that way. although obviously it takes years of practice still

that said, coleman was a visionary and a genius, but people making free jazz these days are kind of wasting their time i think. it's run its course
>>
>>64590680
godDAMN jazz elitists are the fucking worst
>>
>>64591365
>is music nicer than speaking

Yes because you can't lie with it like you can with words. Great album, I've spoke to Braxton on a few occasions and he is a mad genius. Created a whole new language and idiom based on his own ideas
>>
>>64591637
That's not necessarily true. Making music that's straight up atonal is just as hard as making music that isn't atonal. Just like how it's easy to "mess up" and play something atonal while trying to play something consonant, it's easy to mess up and play something consonant when trying to go for dissonance.

In jazz that isn't free jazz, there's a slight amount of dissonance with mostly consonant stuff. Free jazz is the complete opposite, with slight consonance with mostly dissonant stuff.

Not only that, free jazz in general also tends to be chaotic, too far more than other forms of jazz, requiring technical chops and due to the instruments in use, amazing breathing ability, too.

>>64591365
The Shape Of Jazz To Come by Coleman ain't free jazz. It's avant garde in that it used a lot of microtonality (which often causes people to think it's repetitive.)

Free Jazz: A Collective Improvisation by Coleman is free jazz though obviously.
>>
it was a joke that went over everybody's head
>>
>>64591365
can you share that album? I love Bailey and didn't know that existed
>>
Objectively the most plebeian form of jazz. The audience consists of rockists that can only relate to the loud nature of the music.
>>
>>64592662
The plebiest would be jazz-fusion
>>
File: BGaAERpCAAEirG6.jpg (39 KB, 380x561) Image search: [Google]
BGaAERpCAAEirG6.jpg
39 KB, 380x561
>>
File: Lester-Bangs.jpg (87 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
Lester-Bangs.jpg
87 KB, 600x400
>>64592662
word
>>
>>64592662
>>64592732
It's Smooth Jazz
>>
>>64593286
Actual truth
>>
>>64590680
>>64592662
Reminder that disliking free jazz is an obvious sign that you obviously aren't a dedicated jazz listener. Jazz in the 1920's and before was synonymous with hard hitting improvisation and strong melodies, hence the term red hot jazz. The creator of jazz, Buddy Bolden, had his music described with "very loud sound and constant improvisation".
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.