[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Now that the dust has settled, how would you rate this album?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6
File: blackstar.jpg (40 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
blackstar.jpg
40 KB, 1000x1000
Now that the dust has settled, how would you rate this album? Did his death influence your opinion at first?
>>
I liked it before his death but after it made more sense 2bh so yeah it influentied
>>
>>64584898
it influenced it in a similar way to>>64584957
where it just made the album make more sense to me, but it didn't affect my enjoyment too much. 8.5/10
>>
>>64584957
desu
>>
His death was the central theme of the album so of course it influenced my opinion. It's hard to truly understand it without that context.
>>
>>64584898
Instrumentation was wonderful, but the lyrics and his vocals felled the record for me, and especially all the people who said it was vintage Bowie like Jesus fucking Christ not even close, was the best record he had put out in 30 years though.
>>
>>64584898
9/10 for me.

It had to grow on me, but as a farewell it was perfect. First listen I liked it but didn't really connect but after his passing it all made perfect sense. This was the album Bowie always wanted to make.
>>
>>64585077
SUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE GOOOOOOOODBYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>64585125
You got a rank for all the songs? Interested in what you think.
>>
>>64585146
Black Star: 9/10
Tis a Pity She was a Whore 8/10
Lazarus 10/10
Sue 9/10
Girl Loves Me 7/10
Dollar Days 8/10
Can't give everything away 10/10
>>
When I listened to it prior to his death I thought it was shit.
After he died I tried to listen to it again, yet it was shit.
Pretty sure I didn't like it, don't know what the fuss is all about
>>
>>64584898
>memewie
>>
File: bowieviz.jpg (61 KB, 620x536) Image search: [Google]
bowieviz.jpg
61 KB, 620x536
>>64584898

>at first

>Not listening to Blackstar before bowie died.
>>
File: 1460778081370.png (232 KB, 431x407) Image search: [Google]
1460778081370.png
232 KB, 431x407
>>64586518
>I will never be in that elite group who did listen to it before his death

I swear I was planning on it, I just thought I had more time...
>>
light to decent 10
>>
>Now that the dust has settled
Everyday this thread
>>
>>64584898
A pretty ending to an artist with an enormous career and influence, quite an art performance but nothing groundbreaking musically.
>>
>>64584898

It's pretty fucking great. Maybe not my favorite album of the year so far, but it's the perfect goodbye album. The album is significantly more special because of his death.
>>
>>64584898
To some degree, but it was still perfect at tried to be. Wish I had more reasons to relisten to it.

Also I just realized that Bowie probably found out about Death Grips because they sampled him.
>>
>>64585285
This guy gets it.
>>
>>64586737

hello bait
>>
>>64585285
Whore is the best
>>
AOTY so far, for a while I was considering TLOP as best new shit, or Denzel Curry, but re-listened to Blackstar after a while and quickly realized why it was so beautiful on its first couple of listens - because the album is fucking dope.
>>
>>64584898
I listened to it the day before he died and thought it was a 9/10. Then he died, and in the context of his death the lyrics became more powerful. It's still a 9 for me, but I guess a much stronger one; basically almost a 10. Fourth best record of his career underneath Low, Station to Station, and Ziggy.
>>
I really dig blackstar and the only other album I know is the spiders from mars one. Because the album is so new there are no flowcharts with it on. What are his most blackstar-ish albums?
>>
9/10. Current AOTY. Loved it before his death and loved it even more after his death.
>>
I get what you're saying 'cause that's how I felt it the first time I heard it. I liked it but felt nothing special. I liked 'Reality' way better. Then, I decided to give it another try, and again, I felt nothing special. After a few months of giving it several tries and giving up, I saw the album at Target. So, I bought it and decided to give it one last chance. I inserted the Disk into my car's stereo and turned it up. It BLEW ME AWAY completely! Wow, how could I have missed it all those times. Now I can't get enough of it. I hear it all the time. I even downloaded the whole documentary and live versions into my iPod. Blackstar is like a fine dish, some people have to try it several times to get its FULL POWER. It's not noise, just really awesome sound effects that make the album unique. In my opinion, there is no better album, nor will there ever be, than David Bowie's 'Blackstar.'
>>
>>64584898

6.5/10

I dont give a shit about his death, i never knew him personally. I rate an album based on its musical qualities, not the message or theme the artist was pushing, with few exceptions.
>>
>>64585285
>sue better than whore
>girl loves me worst track

I'm asking you to reconsider your intelligence
>>
>>64584898
It's a masterstroke that only Bowie could have pulled off. I enjoyed it a lot before his death, I didn't listen to it very much afterwards but I picked it up again last week and it's damn good. I'd go as far to say it's one of the best albums he ever made, top 5 for sure, maybe top 3. It's a work of art.
>>
>>64588306
There's nothing else much like it.

Outside is similar, but it's kinda bloated. Its best tracks (Outside; hearts filthy lesson; the motel; im deranged) are great though. worth a listen or 2

low is kind of similar in terms of structure, and it seems to have come from the same kind of inspiration, so I'd recommend that. it's also one of his best albums.

Station to station is gorgeous. very funky & soulful, also deceptively deep & dark (kinda like blackstar). THis is his best album imo, and one of my fav overall albums
>>
LOOK AT ME
>>
man she punched me like a dude
hold your mad hands i cried
'tis a pity she was a whore
>>
bowie sure did influence a lot of things but he couldnt for the life of him make any good music
>>
>>64584898
10/10, but I don't listen to it too much. Makes me too sad desu
>>
>>64584898
It feels like Bowie owed a favor to a saxophone player and just let him record over a finished album.
>>
File: pQo7e8E.jpg (43 KB, 514x536) Image search: [Google]
pQo7e8E.jpg
43 KB, 514x536
>>64588956
>>
>>64590727
Bowie is the saxophone player you retard
>>
>>64590946
hey
hey
how OK are you with being wrong?
Because Bowie≠McCaslin
>>
>>64588956
>he doesn't think that the strength of themes or how those themes are communicated through a medium are a central aspect in the quality of a work of art

Wew boy, looks like someone doesn't know what the fuck they're talking about
>>
File: hey now.png (165 KB, 500x305) Image search: [Google]
hey now.png
165 KB, 500x305
>>64588039
Ditto
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.