[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Rate your area's radio stations
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 6
File: sony-fm-radio-icf-f12s-black-.jpg (37 KB, 400x394) Image search: [Google]
sony-fm-radio-icf-f12s-black-.jpg
37 KB, 400x394
ITT: Rate your area's radio stations
>>
93.3 WMMR
>>
90.3: High school jazz station; smooth jazz in the morning (mostly cheesy) and the good shit at night

91.1: College-oriented; specific programs with a theme and DJ which is pretty cool, take requests but selection is really limited

I don't listen to NPR anymore.

Everything else is wank.
>>
File: 1456163778790.jpg (18 KB, 408x408) Image search: [Google]
1456163778790.jpg
18 KB, 408x408
all garbage
jack fm plays some bangers but now they advertise their clickbait website every 3songs
droppin some dimes for an aux cord is much better
>>
All garbage apart from one or two that are 5/10 at best
>>
The only one I remember is the classic rock station and it's predictably mediocre, like the rest.
>>
There's one alt-rock station that's ok sometimes with weezer, arctic monkeys, QOTSA, etc... but then they play wank like 21 pilots and goo goo dolls which just ruins it.

NPR is okay in short bursts, but sometimes it just goes over the top with pretension
>>
Montreal here: haven't really explored that much because what i have already is good enough

CBC: 9/10
some bullshit canadian programming but good most of the time:
Q (althought shad isn't as good as gomeshi), the debators, vinyl cafe, the one with the BTO guy, the irrelevant show, news every half-hour, the house, the sunday edition, all great stuff

radio classique: 9/10
classical radio 24/7. very very few commercials and minimal talk
>>
KFXN - Hmong Radio - AM 690 is the best station in the twin cities.
>>
Denver/Boulder
Radio 1190 10/10 best college station I've heard
>>
detroit
>WRCJ- easily the best station around. classical days, jazzy nights. presumably syndicates nationwide shows but sometimes on friday they focus on local jazz acts. public access, no commercials.
>the river- plays some ok tracks sometimes. lots of boring indie.
>everything else- shit
>>
File: 1452394932533.jpg (649 KB, 3000x2250) Image search: [Google]
1452394932533.jpg
649 KB, 3000x2250
radio woodstock 101.1 - 7/10
the cat 98.9 - 8/10
>>
99.9 VIRGIN radio --- Seacrest/10

102.1 --- Faux patricians/10

92.5 kissfm ---- True patricians/10
>>
Lansing area
mostly garbage except for 92.9 which plays pop from the 70's/80's/90's as well as some prime funk/electro. 7.5/10 overall
>>
91.3 WYEP - mixed bag, blues on saturday, folk on sunday, i'm cool with that
>>
>>64583067
toronto's nice
>>
File: 1436585814895.jpg (111 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1436585814895.jpg
111 KB, 600x600
>>64580586
NE Pennsylvania
It's pretty awful.
There's a few Gospel stations, A lot of Pop stations, the only one that's really bearable is 99.9, which is mostly pre 2000's Poprock
>>
Any 91.7 WMSE fans?
>>
>>64580586
West Michigan: 0 / 10
>>
Anyone else here from galway? Do we have any good ones? Most of it sounds like wank but I don't listen to the radio
>>
CT - 3.2/10
>>
File: radio_click02_466.gif (42 KB, 466x540) Image search: [Google]
radio_click02_466.gif
42 KB, 466x540
>tfw based BBC
>5 main stations, about two dozen digital ones playing all sorts of music
>local stations all over the place
>BBC World Service for comfy 3am stories from around the old Empire
>>
96.3 B96 - Radio shit/10

103.5 Kiss FM - Radio shit/10

101.9 WTMX - Radio shit/10

Fuck you Chicago
>>
NORTH JERSEY/NYC

q104.3 - 1.5/5 shitty dad rock, plays the same 10 rolling stones/who songs, ridiculous amount of commercials, occasionally keep on for pink floyd and rush

88.3 - 4/5 jazz station out of newark, usually plays good shit even tho i dont know much about jazz, minimal commercials

89.5 seton hall radio - 2/5 mostly plays shitty local metalcore/hardcore and the kids who run it are awful. sometimes plays good metal

97.1 - 2/5 plays the 3 most popular rap/RnB songs of the month and occasionally some older stuff, way too many commercials, usually keep on for trap

100.3 Z100 - 1/5 worst station of all time

91.7 - 2.5/5 some college station, usually plays boring "adult contemporary" but sometimes plays radiohead and other decent alt stuff

bascially the radio is shit
>>
>>64588478
WBGO. I miss the old jazz station in New York WRVR. I miss Frankie Crocker on WBLS. I miss doowops on sunday nights on CBS 101.
>>
I only listen to BBC World Service, 97.3 KIRO and some station that plays old Coast to Coast AM shows 24/7. Of those I would say the World Service was indispensable.
>>
>>64587045
>5 terrestrial stations
>24 satellite stations

Britbongs will defend this
>>
91.9 WFPK: 10/10 dankest radio station of all time

TY based Louisville and your impeccable local music
>>
94.1 - today's pop hits - 3/10

99.5 - buttrock - 1.5/10

100.5 - hits of the 80s, 90s, 00s, and today - 6.5/10

103.5 - country - 2/10

106.1 - dadrock - 4.5/10

107.1 - oldies - 5/10
>>
>>64587045
Also, all of the pirate radio stations, which while not as crucial to the dance music scene and for local (especially minority communities) cultures as it was from the mid-80s to the late 00s, is still surprising around and pretty damn good.
>>
106.7 - IF i'm listening to the radio, it's this. classic rock all the time 10/10

101.1 - Got a hilarious talk show in the morning, the rest of the day is rock/alternative/metal 10/10

100.3 - they say "today's best music" but really it's all just 80s pop hits. hosts are in a perpetual state of mid life crisis 5/10

96.3 - "Today's best hits without the rap" and they basically play the same ten songs in rotation. A pop station for dads. 4/10

9.87 - Shitty EDM/Pop that is always played at a higher key for some reason. Hosts are all assholes. 2.5/10
>>
anyone in LA area know any good stations?
>>
89.1: public radio. a few interesting music shows, not bad for an NPR station, i guess. 7.5/10.
91.1: high school station, very long playlist of current and classic indie. unfortunately the signal is very weak but it's amazing this place has something like it. 9/10.
92.3: classic hits format that started this year. presentation is obviously canned, but the playlist is pretty long, so not bad. 7.5/10.
95.5: alt station that started last year. playlist is confusing, a mess of new radio alt, hey ho folk shit, 00s mall emo and 90s alt hits, but kinda tolerable much of the time. 5/10.
96.3: formerly a heritage rock station, new owners came in, changed frequencies so it'd be louder, basically dumbed it down into the classic rock station from hell that used to be on 92.3, Boston, Petty and REO at least once every hour. 1/10.

>>64583907
the old 94.1 was pretty awful
>>
>>64590607
I wouldn't say awful but yeah it wasn't great. What is it now? Last time I checked it was country but that was a while ago
>>
>>64580644
Pierre the GOAT
>>
91.1 : WFMU God Tier
wfmu.org
>>
>>64580586
Do I have to move to a smaller town to get any chance of variety on the radio, because it's the most surface-level mainstream shit possible in my city. The rock station here unironically plays Stairway to Heaven.
>>
>>64590771
still classic country, yeah
>>
>tfw your SoCal 951 area code altrock station now plays pop after it was bought out by someone who could make money out if it
>>
88.5 WXPN - pleb's choice
103.3 Princeton - patrician's choice

WXPN has better live sessions though.
>>
>>64580702
this desu
>>
Boston here

88.1 WMBR - MIT college radio, my favorite radio station honestly, goes from weird foreign dudes to autistic djs that fuck everything up to stoned sounding chicks playing indie to old dudes playing old school 60's country western and doo wop with backing tracks of birds chirping trains rolling through over mellotron melodies. 9/10

88.9 WERS - Emerson college radio, fuck these people they just read scripts and go through the same playlist of indie top 40 shit and the occasional decent nostalgic tune from the past. 5/10

90.9 WBUR - NPR station in Boston, good if you like NPR shitty if you don't. liberals/10

92.9 90's to now! Overplayed 90's classics and today's pop indie garbage. 4/10

99.5 WCRB - Classical radio. Generally it's a gamble when you tune in, either you get music or some pretentious faggot rambling on about every possible fucking detail of what's about to be played. 7/10

100.7 WZLX - BOSTONS NUMBER ONE STATION FOR CLASSIC ROCK they actually have cool programs and prizes for callers, pretty well established station in this city. But still plays the same cycle of 100 or so dadrock tunes. 7/10

101.7 now it's WBWL but holy fuck this station's gone through some shit. From the late 90's/early 00's this was WFNX the best place for alternative rock, indie, grunge, etc. Then they shut down even after streaming online failed and got replaced by Evolution radio which was EDM all fucking day and night, but then that got shut down and is now The Bull which plays today's kind of country music that brainwashes you. Fucking disgrace/10

105.7 WROR - BOSTONS NUMBER ONE GREATEST HITS STATION these fuckers also cycle through the same overplayed washed out number one hit cliches. Like if you hear We Will Rock You, you bet your sweet ass it's gonna go straight into We Are The Champions. Expect this at least three times a day/10

107.9 WXKS - KISS RADIO continuous loop of garbage top 40's do I even bother rating this.
>>
Arizona radio is complete shit.

93.3 is garbage Indie "Rock" made for the hip crowd. Just meandering flavor of the month pop with more acoustic guitars and delay on the vocals to make it "quirky". They play decent classics like Beck and REM every now and then though.

97.9 Is the epitome of buttrock with only 5FDP, Nickelback and Godsmack played around the clock

100.7 used to be a good classic rock station, but they got new ownership and "upgraded" to play 80s and 90s music in their circulation, which is just the laziest mom-core they can find (Bon Jovi, REO Speedwagon, Oasis etc...)

101.7 is a pretty ok classic Hip-Hop station, probably my go to if I have to listen to the radio.

Everything is just run of the mill "Variety" stations, not really worth going into
>>
>>64580586
There's literally nothing but contemporary Christian """""rock""""" stations similar to K-Love, a bunch of top 40 stations and one classical channel. I rarely even listen to the radio anymore.
Try to guess where I live.
>>
>>64593857
either you get music or some pretentious faggot rambling on about every possible fucking detail of what's about to be played

why do all classical stations do this
>>
>>64582475
This desu
>>
>>64594210
Fuck I need to stop saying "literally" so much.
>>
>>64594103
You forgot 104.3, bullshit pop nonsense. Only damn good radio station is 92.3 KTAR, and there's a reason for that. It's not music.
>>
File: xavier-cugat.jpg (17 KB, 276x320) Image search: [Google]
xavier-cugat.jpg
17 KB, 276x320
I don't think I can really be partial here - seeing as I work in local radio.

Spoiler: Everyone else is shit and we're crushing them by playing Dad Rock and Prince.
>>
>>64582475
>>64583907
>>64584687
>>64589698
>>64590607
What the fuck is up with all these Michigan posters?
>>
>>64580586
>It's all shit
well except this npr segment called strange currency fro 8-10 it changes every day and is hand picked music. Its pretty great sometimes.
>>
89.3 The current. Some awesome DJ's and they play indie music all day. Basically Prince radio for past two weeks
>>
Minnesota

KFAI / Radio K - College radio that I'm not hipster enough to listen to

Go 96.3 / Alt 93.3 - Wannabe Current stations

89.3 The Current - only acceptable radio station to listen to

KS95 / Cities 97 / 101.3 KDWB - indistinguishable pop music

Hot 102.5 / Go 95.3 / 89.9 KMOJ / 105 The Vibe (rip Rev 105) - Black people music stations that are all set on my car radio FM2 to listen to secretly.
>>
>>64594459
The best kind of radio.
>>
tfw the only thing worthwhile in Atlanta is NPR and maybe the GA Tech college radio station on a good night.
>>
>>64591107
i live in a place with only 7000 people and all you will get is other towns radio stations that play 70s classics
>>
Pretty shit. I don't even listen to it anymore, I got myself SiriusXM.

From what I remember though, and this was from a couple years ago so some may have come and gone

>2 classic rock stations
>one station that plays buttrock and Metallica
>a station that plays a mix of 90s-early 00s top 40 pop and 70s soft rock
>a Christian rock station that apparently plays Christian death metal on Friday nights or something
>there was a smooth jazz channel but that at some point just disappeared
>used to also be a classical/NPR station and those at some point split into two separate channels
>obligatory top 40 station

And some talk show channels but I only cared about listening to music. Besides the ones I listed above you could sometimes get some other ones but the reception wasn't very good.
>>
>>64583067
88.1 is pretty great.
>>
South suburbs of Chicago. lots of classic rock, top 40, momcore etc. on a clear day you can barely pick up Northwestern's station where Steve Albini and Ira Glass were once DJs.
>>
Boise

89.9/93.5 - Radio Boise: By far the best radio station in the valley. Community run, tons of different radio shows for almost any genre you can think of. I've heard african pop music, industrial, folk, experimental electronic music, hip hop, etc. It's pretty much the only music station I listen to on a regular basis.

90.3 - Classical station from the local university. If you're in the mood for it theyre pretty great. Sometimes theyll play jazz during the night, which is great for 2 AM drives.

91.5 - NPR: you know what this is, local female news correspondent has an incredibly hot voice to me, idk why

96.1 - Bob FM: Catch all pop/rock station, plays pretty much every popular single from the 70s and onwards. Sometimes decent, sometimes shit.

96.9 - The Eagle: garbage classic rock station, plays the same 60~ song playlist constantly. awful annoying DJs

100.3 - The X: contemperary "Hard" rock station. Usually just plays the latest buttrock singles and shitty metalcore. Has been dabling into more classic rock in the past few years

101.1/103.3 - different stations but I bundle them together because theyre basically the same thing. Typical top 40 stations, play the latest bullshit hip hop and pop songs. 101.1 is a little bit better but not by much. They have old school saturday which is decent.

105.1 - slightly better classic rock station, has an extremely large playlist, but classic rock always gets old after awhile

105.9 - dont remember? they play all sorts of random shit, kind alike bob FM except they arent operated by a robot DJ. DJs are annoying as FUCK, avoid at all costs

107.1/107.9 - oldies stations, can actually be pretty good sometimes, I dont listen to them that often though

Everything else is country/conservative talk shows/religious stations. I stick to 91.5/93.5 or my own music like 90% of the time.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.