[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>this album has a 3.16 score on RYM Is it actually good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 4
File: american idiot.jpg (103 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
american idiot.jpg
103 KB, 600x600
>this album has a 3.16 score on RYM

Is it actually good?
>>
Homecoming and Jesus of suburbia are good

Letter bomb and are we the waiting are pretty good too

Other songs are eh
>>
>>64537670
It's a solid 2/10.
>>
>>64537670
It's their best and only album to be relelvent

>>64537720
Nigger come one St. Jimmy
>>
It's teenager-core but it's good teenager-core. Jesus of Suburbia and Homecoming are legitimately impressive as they are 5 act suites and the rest of the album is solid, catchy rock with a memorable line probably every 20 seconds on average.
>>
This was my favorite album in middle school. I would never put it on by myself but if I hear a friend playing it I don't mind.
>>
>>64537670
holiday, wake me up when september ends, we are the waiting and jesus of suburbia are good tracks.
>>
File: kek.jpg (76 KB, 1035x822) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
76 KB, 1035x822
>>64537670

As an album, it's terrific. I really like the production/sound quality. The song writing has a nice amount of sophistication for west-coast 90's-00's punk.
>>
I feel like I'm the only one that liked Give Me Novocaine the most.
>>
I like Whatsername
>>
isn't Zen Arcade the same story but better (except for the ending)
>>
>>64538152
i love that one. are we the waiting is probably my favorite though.
>>
>>64537670
Memes aside it's pretty great.
>>
>>64538205
>(except for the ending)
you talkin shit about reoccuring dreams?
>>
Am I the only one who likes Boulevard of Broken Dreams on /mu/?
>>
>>64537670

It's no Dookie.
>>
>>64538385

Decent song, radio played it to oblivion though.
>>
>>64538437
would you say that it's...

dookie?
LIKE POOP ;)
>>
>>64538437
It's no Insomniac
>>
>>64537875
Most mucore is teenagercore
>>
>>64537764
>likes green day
>uses "nigger" like an edgy /b/tard

underaged desu
>>
That album was like a plague that destroyed my highschool when it came out, suddenly everyone was wearing the shirts and every band was playing shit from it at the talent shows.
>>
>>64539901
I love insomniac, but that is definitely their third best album
>>
>>64540294
hey clt
>>
>>64540500
It's my favorite senpai, it's got all the punk energy of their early work and better production
>>
>>64537670
>greenday
>good
Kek
>>
>>64537670
>Caring about rym ratings
don't even bother senpai
that's not even their best album
>>
>>64540500
insomniac > dookie > american idiot for me
>>
FREE SPEECH FAGGOT MOD:
12 MINUTE BLOCK FO MOD'S NARROW POINT OF VIEW
FUCK YOU FAGGOT MOD
AMERICA IS THA LAND OF FREE SPEECH

F U CK Y O U M O D FAGGOT WTH NOTHING BETTER TO DO BUT
shjhooooot your mmoouth ooofffffff

someone tried to delete my free spech with their shit filter and their shit mods
IN THE NAME OF MUSIC I DECLARE
TRUMP IS KEK MADE FLESH
AMERIKEKS FOR TRUMP
MAKE ME GREAT AGAIN
MAKE ME GREAT AFTER THE BROWN COCKS HAVE INFILTRATED MY WOMAN AMERICA
AMERIKEKS UNITE
TRUMPS TINY COCK WILL PERNETRATE AMERICA
AND WE SHALL REGAIN OUR RESPECT AND POWER
AS HIS COCK
IS AS SMALL
AS HIS HANDS
AMEN, AMERIKEKS
AMEN
NO MORE POWERFUL BROWN COCK FOR AMERICA
AMEN, AMERIKEKS
AMENz

A M E R I CU C K S IS AMERIKEKS
>>
Yeah it's pretty good. Worst track is the title track
>>
It's alright. The production is too clean and tidy. I feel it bogged it down and made it sound generic. you have to at least give credit to green Day for at least trying to be ambitious. Dookie is better, though.
>>
>>64543964
this
>>
>>64537670
Yes.
>>
>>64543964
Worst track is actually Extraordinary Girl. Title track is second worst.
>>
File: 1452278762056.gif (1 MB, 301x250) Image search: [Google]
1452278762056.gif
1 MB, 301x250
>>64538186
Yeah favorite track on the album for me.
>>
>>64537670
I was in the same situation of thinking last year, after over a decade from the mid noughties seeing as the scenesters wearing the hoodie and tee and everyone I knew at the time talking about how great it was I decided to listen to it expecting it would be terrible. I was actually quite surprised that it's a well thought out concept album that lacks in innovation, certain parts of the album were directly copied in terms of stylistics like for example the opening of Jesus of Suburbia (the part where it goes "decided to pop a Ritalin") with the power chords sounds quite similar to the progression used in the opening of David Bowie's "Moonage Daydream". Overall the narrative works though as expected is childish and not fully fleshed out and derives from older concept albums about ennui. All-in-all it's a decent listen and definitely not a bad album though being in my mid twenties I can't enjoy the simplicity of the album anymore as I hear too much from other bands in it to enjoy thoroughly.
>>
>>64545160
>Worst track is actually Extraordinary Girl
ok pal... okayyyyy
>>
Official Green Day rankings comming through
Insomniac > Dookie = Warning > American Idiot = Nimrod = Kerplunk = 1039 SOSH > 21CB = Triology
>>
>>64540212
nigger
>>
>>64537670
good?
>no
Overrated?
>very much so
>>
>>64549704

close, but Dookie > Insomniac if we're being real
>>
>>64546038
>with the power chords sounds quite similar to the progression used in the opening of David Bowie's "Moonage Daydream"
https://youtu.be/JFDj3shXvco
hmm you're right

It's considered they ripped off Kinks' Picture Book too, but in any case they weren't nothing new for sure
>>
>>64537670
I used to hate this album with every fiber of my being. It had the guyliner-wearing edgy vocalist, disgusting videos, cringeworthy cover, the singles were played to oblivion on radio, and the whole pseudo-political sentiment put it in the same row as Muse and modern U2 for me.

But as the hype finally settled, I realized Wake Me Up When September Ends still played in my head after all these years. So I took a listen.

And I realized the actual album is vastly different from its promotion. When you forget about everything surrounding it, it's… good? It has good songs, nice sound—nothing special but still well-produced. The tracks are not very original, but they are catchy, well-written power-pop and punk and other styles. Billy Joe Armstrong actually never was a bad lyricist and writes pretty sharp lyrics too. And overall, despite not being complex, the band sound developed, experienced. Not to mention that almost every song is a potential radio single or at least B-side.

So, of course it's pretty meaningless, it won't rock your world and it's just a commercial record. But despite this, I still enjoy it—I've heard far worse lyrics (Linkin Park), and of all pop punk bands, Green Day probably had the most substance, actually making enjoyable pop and actually making enjoyable punk and actually mixing them together with decent results.
>>
>>64537670
that's pretty low for such a culturally relevant release
>>
It's OK.
>>
>>64542509
>>64537747
>>64549733
thanks for your contribution u can go back to ur chart threads and radiohead threads
>>
>people UNIRONICALLY liking and discussing Green Day on /mu/
mods please just ban theese fucking underage 16 year olds
>>
>>64552956
>literally caring about music you dont like and using it as a personal jab at someone's character or validity
ah you know what, fuck you
>>
>>64552956

>people UNIRONICALLY liking and discussing music on /mu/

holy shit, no way
>>
Honestly, if all of Kerplunk was re-recorded with the same production value as Dookie, it would be their best album without a doubt.
>>
Dookie = Kerplunk > American Idiot > Nimrod > Insomniac > 21st Century Breakdown > Warning > Do they even have other albums?
>>
>>64538152
Tracks seven, eight and nine are actually the most appealing ones to me
>>64542798
you gots it right
>>
I mean it was good when I was 10 now it's ehh
Jesus of Serbia is good though
>>
Insomniac > Warning = Dookie > Kerplunk = AI > Nimrod = 1039 SOSH > Shenanigans = 21st CB > Uno >>>>> Tre >>>> Dos

All have enjoyable songs buried in them though. Shame that Insomniac is so well produced though and the new stuff just doesn't have the same bite because the songwriting is still there. For proof see Lazy Bones, Fell For You and 8th Avenue Serenade which are just as good as any song from at least the second best level of work.
>>
>>64555289
>8th Avenue Serenade
my nigga, that song is a standout

Don't know why the hell they've been cuttin back on the distortion
>>
no green day is the same shitty riff with the same shitty lyrics every song
>>
>>64537670
its pretty good imo and not a green day fan to begin with.
>>
>>64537670
It's good, imo. The songwriting is pretty solid but the production is amazing.
>>
>>64537670

It's a decent mainstream punk album.
Dookie and Insomniac are still better.
>>
I'm gonna be totally honest, this is my favorite album of all time. I was a kid/pre-teen when it came out, and I listened to it nonstop, and no other album has drawn me in more than this did. If you really wanted to overanalyze it, you'd see it's not anything great, but I personally love it. If you're looking for a fun but easy listen, this is a good choice.
>>
>All this Insomniac love

Go back and listen to their 90s output. Dookie is so much better than Insomniac it's not even a contest.
>>
>>64537670
It's a 4.5/10
>>
>>64537670
>3.16
>good
wew lad
>>
>>64557237
anything higher than 2.5 is good
>>
>>64537670
>3.16 score
Is that supposed to be good?

>>64557284
3.00 and above is decent
3.20 and above is worth a listen
>>
It's a pretty good pop-punk album for it's time, it'll always stand out as nostalgia-core though with the amount of shitty flash animations about Mario it was used in during the mid 00's
>>
>>64537670
It's better than anything by Titus Andronicus
>>
>>64554571
Honestly, I still think it's better than Dookie
>>
>>64552956
if Green Day is underage, then so is Weezer.
>>
>>64552956
this isn't Reddit you fucking cunt
>>
>>64552956
>>>/r/music
>>
>>64557284
That's a stretch. Anything below 3 isn't that great. 3.16 is okay but not great
>>
>>64557695
2.5 is the half of 5, meaning it's the midway point between good and bad
>>
>>64537720
>>64537875
yes
>>
File: Chaika was actually just chaika.png (496 KB, 1109x854) Image search: [Google]
Chaika was actually just chaika.png
496 KB, 1109x854
>>64557737
actually, 2.75 is the midpoint because the lowest score is 0.5
>>
>>64557790
Fair enough, you should be able to rating things a goose egg though.
>>
>>64557174
Insomniac is better. Jaded, Armatage Shanks, No Pride are my top 3 Green Day sons
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.