[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what's the deal about the vinyl tracklisting vs the CD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: folder.jpg (155 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
155 KB, 600x600
So what's the deal about the vinyl tracklisting vs the CD tracklisting?
>>
Archive dude, we went big into it the past few days

It really is superior to CD tracklisting, everything is organised into 5 song clusters of similar tone songs rather than the scattered CD playlist
>>
>>64536706
Aight, thanks for the heads up.
>>
>>64536645
Could we use this thread to discuss the bonus 2012 songs then?
>>
>>64537187
The Sadlands demo of Galapogos might be the most beautiful thing the Pumpkins ever did
>>
>>64538180
The instrumental, that is
>>
>>64536645
OP of the previous thread here. Here's the link to archive: >>64515048

Here's a 320kbps mp3s of PBTHAL vinyl rip: https://mega.nz/#F!EcknWLTZ!EX5-lZsKqLc2bZ0oJrgEMg (courtesy of anon)

In short:

For some reason (probably trying to make the record sell more copies), the album's concept was completely butchered on CD and cassettes by reshuffling tracks to fit the "loud-quiet-loud" dynamic popularized by grunge. It completely breaks the story, atmosphere, the mood and the flow of the record, making it feel extremely confusing the more you listen to it. Most people I have asked previously listened only to the CD version and said they dropped it on the second half. After they listened to the original vinyl track order, most said they couldn't believe how much better it sounded, amazed at smooth transitions between songs.

The second thing you should know is that Mellon Collie has a concept. The 3 vinyl records are titled Dawn/Tea Time, Dusk/Twilight, and Midnight/Starlight. They are intended to be thematically centered around certain time of day, together completing one story/narrative (represented in lyrics). Each one has distinctive sound—e.g., Dawn has an orchestral intro and melancholic acoustic songs, Tea Time is mostly energetic compositions with distorted guitar, and Midnight is the darkest, most evil part of it, almost sounding like NIN.

Together, they sound like one big opera: the opener; Tonight Tonight setting the stage; then we see the hero come through his day, while he expresses his feelings about youth, love and the world; the end of the first LP is marked by Porcelina of the Vast Oceans. Then he expresses his disdain with society, skepticism about young love, and the toxic atmosphere at his home. When the sun sets, he sets out to meet his girlfriend to go to the party (1979); he gets angry for her because she lied to him, but ultimately forgives her; the record ends with life-affirming closer.
>>
Can someone help me decipher the lyrics on Where Boys Fear to Tread http://genius.com/6490151

Candy cane walks down
To build a bonfire, to break my fall
My baby, my sweet thing
Just maybe we could lose ourselves this time
King of the horseflies, dark prince of death
His tragic forces are heaven sent
In sweet things, in a lovers breath
In knowing this was meant to be the last
A go-go-kids, a go-go-style
A suck suck kiss, a suck suck smile
As always, in young need
A veiled promise to never die
On dead highways, her black beauties roam
For june angels, so far from home
For a love lost, a faded picture
To tread lightning, to ink the lavender skies
So get on the bomb
>>
>>64538180
nah, it's this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3szzhg38m4&t=8m51s
>>
>>64538311

only good thing about the CD order is how the ending of Farewell calls back to the MCIS theme opener
>>
>>64538311
Neat. I'm curious how different it feels
>>
>>64539258
Yeah, I feel the same way. Infinite Sadness (I mean the last song on Starlight) sounds exactly like that last tune in opera where all actors come on stage for the final applause. Or like credits in movies. Both variants of the ending work for me really.
>>
>>64539352
In short, it becomes very smooth. On CD, most songs jumped from one style/sound/mood to another. The differences sound pretty harsh and unexpected. Lyrically, you can't even tell what's going on.

On vinyl, what you notice is when the side changes. Each side is like an act in an opera, and sounds like a long song with many sections. Sides contrast with each other, and it's much more logical/topical.

Overall, the result sounds like Siamese Dream, except with a different producer, more range of sound/moods, and more like concept album in the mood of The Wall, instead of an assorted mishmash of genres.
>>
Damn, Corgan could play even at 18 https://youtu.be/9hYPo2py77A
>>
by the way, the Brixton show (that was only half included on the reissue) is the greatest thing they've ever done

they open with a beautiful 10 song acoustic set with Jimmers on a small jazz kit and James bathing the whole thing in warm slide guitar

then there's a two hour rock set with an amazing Ruby, Porcelina, Jellybelly, 25 minute Silverfuck...

https://archive.org/details/tsp1996-05-15.vid.ana1
>>
>>64540120

that solo is the best evidence of why James was so important to the band
>>
>>64540201
I agree he was important, and that this solo is not very imaginative, but many know that Pumpkins could be play fast and not miss a single note. From the point of finger movement it's impressive for an 18 year old.
>>
>>64540171
That's amazing, thanks
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.