[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Haken - Affinity
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: best prog album of the year.jpg (390 KB, 1300x1300) Image search: [Google]
best prog album of the year.jpg
390 KB, 1300x1300
>best prog album of the year comes out
>nobody talks about it

Let's hear some opinions about this fucking masterpiece /mu/.
>>
>progressive
>>
File: Yugen Death By Water.jpg (98 KB, 1200x1075) Image search: [Google]
Yugen Death By Water.jpg
98 KB, 1200x1075
Good but I liked this one even better.
>>
One of the few albums I've actually paid money for.
I enjoyed this way more than I did The Mountain.
>>
it sucks. Sounds like some bad leprous mixed modern sumeriancore pseudo-progressive shit apart from The Architect , which is a 9/10 desu. A shame that the rest of the album isn't as good
>>
I think it's a very solid album, but let's be honest: it sounds like a parody. The Mars Volta on Initiate, Dream Theater on 1985, there's even some Opeth in The Architect and so forth.
>>
>>64529600
>The Mars Volta on Initiate,
You mean Leprous?
>>
It was pretty good. But I can't say why, but I didn't stick to me at all, and I wanted it to...
>>
>>64529640
Or any other fast-paced progressive rock/metal act.
>>
>>64529640
Riverside too, by the way.
>>
>>64529640
Also, isn't the vocalist of Leprous on The Architect?

I could've included this all in one post. Oh, whatever.
>>
>>64529117
:^)

>>64529584
>The Architect
>9/10
>A shame that the rest of the album isn't as good
Nigga what? The Architect isn't THAT great, however this album is pretty much consistent all along.

>>64529600
>it sounds like a parody
It sounds more like cultured citationism, like a Tarantino movie.
inb4 >implying

>Also, isn't the vocalist of Leprous on The Architect?
Yes, he is.
>>
>>64528211
Absolutely loved it. I don't know why people have criticized the second half, as I actually find it extremely strong. Bound By Gravity is probably my favorite track on the album.
>>
prog sucks fedoraboy
>>
It was pretty good, I really enjoyed 1985 and Earthrise
>>
>>64531084
>I don't know why people have criticized the second half
I don't know why people have criticized it.
>>
>>64530631
Haven't really thought about it that way. Maybe I was too busy recognising things.
>>
Earthrise > Bound by Gravity > 1985 > Lapse > The beginning of The Architect > The rest of The Architect > Red Giant > The Endless Knot > Affinity. Exe > Initiate
>>
>>64531987
There's a lot of inner citationism, not only musically, but I'm sure even in the lyrics, for instance one is pretty evident: they repeat more than once "frame by frame", in a fashion similar to King Crimson, which might not be enough if it wasn't for the second part of The Architect, where there's a small guitar part extremely similar to The ConstruKction of Light. At that point I was pretty much sure it wasn't just a parody, or sticking together different styles, but rather -as I said-cultured citationism.

After all they did the same thing on The Mountain: just listen to Cockroach King, and you'll hear how they've taken Gentle Giant and made it more accessible and modern, while keeping it recognizable. In this album they did the same, but probably more systematically.
>>
>>64533324
Red Giant > Earthrise > The Endless Knot > Bound by Gravity > Lapse > 1985 > The Architect > Initiate > Affinity.exe

Solid 7 / 10 - I much preferred Visions, but yeah it's probably the best 'big' prog release so far. Unless you can count The Enid's 'Dust' as prog and not a rock musical
>>
>>64533523
>it's probably the best 'big' prog release so far.
Better than The Astonishing for sure
>>
>>64528211
>dream theater
>best prog album of the year

ultimate kek
>>
>>64533958
There's like, 4 or 5 good songs on The Astonishing that are the best they've done in a loooooong time

But 4 or 5 out of, what, 40? The Astonishing is spread so thinly it's ridiculous
>>
>progm etal
>prog
>>
>>64528211
fuck, that's a gorgeous album cover
>>
>>64528211
tbqh I haven't been up to date concerning new music releases so this came as a complete surprise to me
all I can say is holy sheit it's an eye opener
>>
>>64534260
>The Astonishing that are the best they've done in a loooooong time
The Astonishing is mediocre as their last 3~4 albums. I feel like The Astonishing is DT's attempt to best Ayreon, and they failed miserably.
>>
>>64528211
I was expecting more, but a few songs definitely had me pleasantly surprised, especially Earthrise.

With their change in sound they've definitely opened themselves up for a lot more growth and there's no doubt they have the composition aspect down to a T (despite The Architect being ridiculously drawn out)
>>
File: 1461261505123.jpg (205 KB, 580x739) Image search: [Google]
1461261505123.jpg
205 KB, 580x739
>>64534677
>The Astonishing is mediocre as their last 3~4 albums.
As a longtime fan of DT, I very sadly agree with this.

Just gave the first listen to Affinity and it's nice, I agree with >>64533512
>>
>>64534477
Their website has a similar theme, looks really cool
>>
File: Cover.jpg (148 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
148 KB, 800x800
>>64528211
Poor man's Leprous

Ihsahn is prog AOTY
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.