[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Spotify
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2
File: 26-spotify.w1200.h630.jpg (33 KB, 740x388) Image search: [Google]
26-spotify.w1200.h630.jpg
33 KB, 740x388
What are /mu/'s thoughts on Spotify as a whole? I prefer getting my music from Soulseek, but I'm interested to hear what you guys think of the service.
>>
>getting
you mean stealing

I like it.
>>
best way to torrent music? cba to pay for spotify anymore as both the app and web player are shite, does everyone just use normal public tracker sites? how can you tell whether an upload is "good" or not? What's this Soulseek...?
>>
>>64521393
whats wrong with the web player? I use it for free and I'm lovin' it.
>>
>>64521393
>What's this Soulseek...?
It's a program used to destroy the music industry.
>>
>>64521405
sound quality is pretty shite (well, free) + constantly crashes for me (prob flash player more than anything), and 'cause flash I can't play it on my mac/safari.
>>
>>64519455

The Discover Weekly playlist is a more effective method of hearing new music you may like than Last.fm, mu and RYM combined.
>>
I use Spotify to try new albums out and if I like them I download them elsewhere. It's pretty handy for that sometimes. I used to have the application but I've started to like it some.
>>
bumpu~~ ;)
>>
>>64519455
Spotify, shit of the artist, good for me
>>
I prefer getting my music from juno and beatport.
Streaming music is plain bullshit.
>>
Its still better for the artist than piracy.
>>
>>64521444
>sound quality is shite
Lol, please. High quality is 160Kbps, ogg vorbis. No single human being on the entire planet can hear a difference between that and lossless. Do some fucking blind tests, and stop making stuff up in your head.
>>
It's pay to win
>>
>>64523235
U wot? Most people can hear the difference between 320 and lossless and you are talking about 160, that's laughable.
>>
not worth it unless you listen to a billion tracks daily

also audio quality is limited to 320 mp3 which might not be enough for some people
>>
>>64523284
>Most people can hear the difference between 320 and lossless
Source?
>>
>>64523284
This is just wrong. Like, just wrong. Do a blind test.

>>64523365
If you think you'd ever need more than 320 you're either a dog, or extremely delusional.

I mean, this is non-debatable. Comparing two tracks side by side, while knowing which one's which, will give you absolutely zero results. The only way to actually get anywhere is to do a blind test.

What happens when people do a blind test is one of two things. Either they say "Oh, shit, you're right", or they say "Well yeah this equipment isn't good enough to tell the difference".

Stop living in denial people. Do an ABX test.
>>
>>64523392
Ears, for starters. And decent audio gear. You can also analyze compressed audio stream and compare it with original. It's clear that part of cut data is in hearable range.
>>
>>64521393
If it's too slow for you, it's your computer, not the app.
>>
>>64523483
You can believe whatever you want, man, simple fact - compression causes audio stream to lose part of audio data that otherwise would be heared.
>>
>>64523513
Good source m8. Yeah, of fucking course you can detect the differences on a computer. If you couldn't do that it would literally be magic. The point is, your ears physically can't hear anything above 20khz, and for most people everything above 15khz is inaudible. 320kbps leaves the top end intact up to something like 25khz. No human being can hear that.

>>64523535
Yes, I'm not saying that it doesn't. The point, your ears aren't digital analyzers. They're chambers, fluids and little hairs that send signals to your brain. If you'd actually do a couple of ABX tests, you'd just be proven wrong. And you'd probably feel a little bit ashamed, and since people hating admitting they're wrong, you'd probably claim that you got everything right, and people like Jay Z actually gets to makes money from something as stupid as losless audio streaming.
>>
Literally no one can hear a difference between 320kbps and lossless. I really doubt anyone can hear a difference with 128kbps vorbis or aac either. They're perfectly transparent.
>>
>>64523235
im p. sure i can hear up to 320 on my good headphones and dads speaker system. 160 is mostly fine though
>>
>thread derailed into rotational velocidensity shitslinging
Everyone in the thread is awarded a "I am very smart" gold star.

Now kill yourselves.
>>
File: wuAzcYH.jpg (82 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
wuAzcYH.jpg
82 KB, 640x640
I use spotify almost exclusively and have a premium account. Can't beat the convenience. Downloading music, maintaining a library on a physical hard drive, tagging and so on is just not worth the hassle, now that I look back to it. Of course the
> but spotify destroys muh artists
makes it sound bad, but I was an avid music pirate before, and will likely go back when spotify eventually dies, so that argument is a little hypocritical. I rather go to shows and buy shirts instead of records.
>>
I pay for premium because not a poorfag/ underage neet living off my parents
It has albums that arent even easily available on slsk (ramleh discography for example) and is the best to listen to albums on my phone.
>be me at work
>today I want to listen to ike & tina on my way home bcs reasons
>search album, select offline, wait 2 minutes and have it on my phone
>get home and erase it bcs it was shit

No data cables to worry about
feelsgoodman.jpg
>>
Spotify

Good if you like entry level music in any genre

Shit tier if you actually enjoy music, you'll find its got fucking nothing on there
>>
>>64525952
It has the entire Folkways catalogue. I bet you don't even know what that is without Googling it. So much for "actually enjoying music".

Also obscure has never equalled good and never will.
>>
>>64519455
I like spotify. I pay for premium since it's really convenient and has a lot of what I like. If it doesn't have something, I either buy it on physical media or download it.
>>
They just took off 90% of all Andrew Jackson Jihad's music, also all of Syd Barretts stuff.

For a long time they would randomly take songs off of Sigur Ros albums, for no fucking reason, like delete random songs for a week or 2.
>>
>>64526097
>liking Andrew Jackson Jihad
Good riddance.
>>
>>64525987
>it's got some old music i am totally a music nerd i promise
>btw fuk obscure stuff cuz i dont know it
>>
>>64526097
Search for Samhain for some soft keks, the description is for the Danzig stuff but the albums are from some shitty bedrooms ebm band or whatever.
Still, it has the entire Chrome catalog, including the infamous damon edge albums so I'm cool with it
Still buy physical albums because digital format was never meant to be taken seriously
>>
>>64526128
It is the fucking principle of it senpai. Not a massive fan but I just wanted to hear "People 2 The Reckoning" driving home after failing my last exam but spotify let me down big time.
>>
>>64526137
Nice post. I bet you listen to really, really great music and not just indie trash for "the cred".
>>
>>64526291
>actually using the words indie
>then using the term "the cred"
Dumbfuck intimidated by intelligence, the post
>>
>>64526285
Wanting to listen to them at any point in your life should be a capital offense.
>>
>>64526313
You're right, I'm really terrified in the presence of all the intelligence you're demonstrating.
>>
>>64526097
Didnt notice they removed Syds catalog, but on the bright side, "philosophy of the world" by The Shaggs is now available (wasnt a month ago)
Death Grips albums come and go, dont know why but who cares, its DG
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.