[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Spotify gets big in music streaming >Everyone else wants
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 3
File: apple-music-spotify-tidal.jpg (45 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
apple-music-spotify-tidal.jpg
45 KB, 1500x1000
>Spotify gets big in music streaming
>Everyone else wants a piece of that ass
>Apple, Jay-Z and others launch streaming stuff

Is Spotify still considered the best in terms of it's library and functionality?
>>
>>64496717
It's shit. Key artists missing because they don't pay enough, buggy interface, poor tagging and artwork and way too focused on social media integration. I'm sure it's great for its target audience, however, but mostly because they just don't care.
>>
>>64496749
Why pay more when they fucking know that whoever they don't have will just be at the mercy of Pirates? That's like their main selling point to artists: make a little here or face getting absolutely nothing.
>>
>>64496791
What vested interest do you have in their business practices? The question was about how good Spotify is from the user end, and the fact they are missing artists factors into that.
>>
>>64496717
theyre all for faggots who listen to music casually not serious music listeners or people who dont support capatilist society and the treatment of music as a consumer product
>>
>>64496874
Well of course "non-Casual" music listeners are buying up 3TB+ hard drives to get all those FLAC files to satisfy their Audiophile lives.
>>
>>64496749
name three
>>
>>64496925
I don't know what point you're even trying to make. There's much to dislike about streaming beyond the audio quality, which is only really bad on Spotify if you don't pay for premium (and if I recall correctly most don't, because as that guy said they are casual listeners who will happily listen to an ad halfway through a 128 kbps album as long as they get to hear the fire new Drake mixtape as soon as it's released).
>>
>>64496999
Three artists? King Crimson, Tool, Dead Kennedys, Prince, Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson, Thom Yorke, Omar Rodriguez Lopez, Big Black, This Heat
>>
>>64497102
>Prince

It's gonna be interesting to see if that changes now that he's dead.
>>
>>64497102
I care about one of those
>>
>>64497209
Like I said, Spotify is likely to be fine for its target audience.
>>
>>64497246
What is Spotify's target audience?
>>
>>64497246
they may not have some names with largesse but they DO have thousands of new, obscure bands that I'd likely never hear otherwise.

>>64497246
people stuck in their ways that have no interest in new artists
>>
>>64497279
Him >>64497209.
>>
>>64497102
Big Black is on Spotify though my man, I listen to them almost every day
Agree with you on most of the others, especially Dead Kennedys
>>
>>64497279
People who don't want to invest much (or any) money in music, don't care about historically important artists or artist well-being, and to whom music means so little that they'd decide to have their entire library in the hands of a business than a personal collection.
>>
Reminder that Spotify has the entire Smithsonian Folkways Records Collection. If you have any interest in traditional folk music, Spotify is great.
>>
>>64497380
They weren't the last time I used it. Or maybe it was Rapeman. There was definitely only one Shellac album, and I know Albini has been outspoken against streaming, even promoting pirating as an alternative (not that I necessarily agree with him).
>>
>>64497419
If it's on T&G it's on Spotify. Last time I checked T&G's full catalog was on there
>>
>>64497453
That must be a relatively recent change
>>
I haven't checked out the others but I enjoy the playlist stuff from spotify more than anything else these days. Like the Discover playlist is perfect and the ability to creaate and share playlists with other people is pretty fun and engaging.

Even if Apple will eventually have more music than spotify, I'd probably stick with spotify for the playlist stuff.
>>64497102
lol I put KC's entire discography up to Red on a spotify playlist and I listen to it nearly every day.
I find it funny that Fripp is getting no money from me even though I'm listening to his music through spotify every day.
>>64496874
Yeah if I had no social, work or education life I would hate spotify as well.
>>
Let's settle this rn.

http://www.strawpoll.me/10101221
>>
>>64497699
It's honestly amazing how Spotify made listening to music a possibility for people with social lives in work or education. Gone are the days when listening to music meant being NEET.
>>
>>64496717
Google Play Music is the best in terms of music organization and extra features (like Youtube Red). It's also the best for adding music that isnt streamable.
>>
>>64497813
Exactly, thank you Sweden
>>
>>64497102
Dead Kennedys is on Spotify you twit.
>>
Gotta say, Apple Music has actually impressed the shit out of me.

Everything's so easy.
>>
>>64498177
apple music is vastly superior to Spotify except for the fact that it has not user curated playlist. Add that and it will be fire.
>>
>>64497102
I like how all of those except King Crimson are on Apple Music. Also you can't really count King Crimson because they aren't on any streaming service because Robert Fripp is autistic
>>
>>64498050
hardly you cow
>>
>>64498318

Nah man, users can make playlists!
If you have a playlist, click the little share icon and you get a link you can send people. It'll make a version with the songs that are on Apple Music and shit (though I would duplicate the playlist first, that way it doesn't fuck it up if you had songs that weren't on AM)
>>
On apple music I find it's about 1 in 7 things I want to listen to aren't on there, with Spotify it was like 1 in 2. Apple music is great for casual listening and will be even better when they make the jump to lossless like they're planning. I still have a physical media collection but on the go Apple music is pretty unbeatable. Only thing I miss from Beats is some of the minor app features that I got used to
>>
>>64498783
Yeah it's weird how a good number of things on the store aren't streamable on AM...
But they're really jumping to lossless? Yeessss

But I agree - for just being on the go it's really very nice
>>
>>64496749
>poor tagging
??? The tagging is the same as any other service. It's all from the same source.
>...and artwork
Again, same source as all of the other services.
>way too focused on social media integration
I sortof agree with this, although I like having the sidebar and following people.
>Key artists missing because they don't pay enough
Taylor Swift isn't a key artist.
>>
>>64499099
Just realized this >>64497102 exists.
My other points still stand though.
>>
>>64498932
Supposedly they're going to do it when they roll out the first lightning headphones
>>
>>64498323
huh
>>
They're all pretty much the same but in terms of popularity Apple Music and Spotify have the crown. In a couple years time Apple Music will most likely be miles ahead.
>>
>>64498783
I might use apple music if the iTunes program wasn't purposely gimped on windows...
>>
>>64499313
>>64498932
http://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/191042/apple-music-reportedly-preparing-hi-res-audio-streaming-for-2016
>>
>>64499099
You can edit tags on Google Play Music, and I believe you can on Apple Music, too, to avoid having the details of remasters listed in the album title and have the choice to list albums by year of original release instead of the release of that edition.
>>
>>64498470
Yeah but I can't listen to any playlist a user has curated though
>>
>>64497102
Dead Kennedys and big black are both on spotify. The only artists beside King Crimson that are actually good on that list
>>
>>64497405
So does Apple Music
>>
>>64496717
Apple Music > Spotify, they just have more money to throw at it and have a good easy to use Apple interface. Don't have experience with the others though.
>>
>>64499585
Dead Kennedys aren't really
>>
>>64498318
the spotify playlists make me want to kill myself
>>
I honestly don't know why Spotify is getting so much hate. Sure, it's true Spotify will not have every artist you're looking for. But for everything else, it's an extremely convenient platform to listen to music on. One of my favorite features is the ability to save my own playlists to my phone so I don't have to use data when I'm traveling. And as someone who makes an effort to listen to new music as often as I can, this feature has facilitated my discovery of new artists, albums, and even genres. That's just my opinion.
>>
So what exactly is Apple Music doing or will be doing soon that is going to "kill Spotify" in the future? Cause I'm seeing that being said a lot in this thread. Not saying it can't, just wondering what it is doing better than Spotify?
>>
spotify is only good for obscure live albums by jam bands, or at least that's all i use it for
>>
>>64500462

I can attest to this one. If you love a few jam bands, Spotify has some esoteric shit on there.
>>
I use spotify because I don't want to fund apple and give them more money, they use sweatshop workers anyways.
>>
>>64500394
most people already have iphones and use itunes to sync their music, why wouldn't they just sub to apple music and use one service rather than multiple ones?
>>
>>64499785
> someone recommended something for me and I didn't like it, reeeeeee

I tend to dislike 2/3 of the stuff that Spotify puts in the Discover Weekly list, but I still listen to it every time it's updated because every week, I discover a new song, album, artist, etc through it, and some of them have been A+ finds. And it's great for finding underground stuff because man, some of the artists I've discovered on there have less than 1,000 listens on any of their songs.
>>
What if I don't want to spend any money?
>>
>>64500800
Heroin addict poorfag
>>
>>64497102
Who the fuck cares? Whatever key artists that are missing from spotify (key =/= Steven Wilson, Porcupine Tree, Omar, or Thom Yorke ) you can download onto a small flashdrive and plug into spotify yourself
>>
>All the artists keeping their music off streaming services because of low compensation

See, if your gonna bitch about that, how about you bitch at your agents and the RIAA? Because they are taking a much bigger cut off your stuff then Spotify or Apple Music would take. The whole industry in that regard is a joke.
>>
>>64499099
>>64496749
There are enough missing artists that it gets tiresome adding albums manually

But the fact that you can do that for mixtapes and artists that hold out sort of makes up for it
>>
>torrent music in 24bit flac for listening on my computer
>upload it to google play, which automatically encodes it to 320kbs mp3
>can take quite literally my entire music library with me on the go
>dont have to pay shit unless I somehow end up reaching the 50k song limit
>no ads ever
I swear you guys are retarded sometimes
>>
>>64500800
Then you're fucked.
>>
I can't stand any kind of music streaming because it's beginning to replace storing music and the quality of music streams is shit

It's like, people are using YouTube and shit for "storage", fuck me, the quality of music streaming services is always garbage. Firefox has a thing where if you point it to a remote MP3 it plays it for you.

Sites like

http://vkmp3.org/

Have most of the songs I search on them, at non-YouTube quality. If I want music "on the go" (as in, on my phone) I fucking convert it myself to Opus and I listen to it.
>>
I like spotify don't even need to pay just keep using the free trial every month. I don't see what's wrong with it.
>>
Spotify lets me play music from my PS4 in my games while playing couch co-op with friends, and I began using it before the new services came along so I already have extensive playlists on it.
>>
>>64501150
That's why King Crimson is completely independent
>>
one detail is that spotify's local file support is still rubish.

google play or apple music?
>>
>>64501353
Too much work.
>>
>>64501904
Apple Music has a better selection of music but if you use an android Google play is better
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.