[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does vaporwave make you feel? What are your thoughts on the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 4
File: images-2.jpg (4 KB, 254x198) Image search: [Google]
images-2.jpg
4 KB, 254x198
How does vaporwave make you feel? What are your thoughts on the genre ?
It makes most feel lonely and unsettled with its eerie feel, it might make some feel sadly nostalgic, even for a time they weren't alive for,
just by looking back on these old 80s cgi tapes.

Personally I don't know what I feel. Maybe it's the feeling of loneliness watching fragments of the past that are no more and were dug up just to make a short vaporwave video. It's a feeling I can't quite explain. How does vaporwave make you feel?
>>
it makes me think "this is the most autistic thing ever created its just low quality mp3s slowed down"
>>
"style over substance" the genre

you cant prove me wrong cause its true
>>
i feel it digs into early memories of computers growing up and triggers something.
>>
>>64489543
Decent Vaporwave makes me feel like I'm watching Video Girl Ai on VHS and I like it.

Shitty Vaporwave makes me feel like I'm wading through twitter shitposts made by 16y-o kids who grew up listening exclusively to hip-hop.
>>
it makes me think aesthetics
>>
>>64489763
ASS-DEAD-DICKS
>>
listen to the music vaporwave rips off instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gML0PukI5rI
this was made in 1988

also check out these
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9n6Yh9L02k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNqnZd967PM
>>
>>64489840
Seaside lovers is such a great album
>>
>>64489609
style is the substance
>>
>>64491638
that's the same thing m8

"substance" here means "creative musical content"
>>
>>64489543
Makes me sleepy
>>
>>64490979
One of the GOAT in the music world.
>>
>>64491655
so what do you have against style? can't it just be what it is?
>>
>>64491655
i dont see your point though, you think it cant escalate outside of its own box?
>>
>>64491689
>>64491713
i'm more interested in creative music than mediocre graphic design fads

even from just that point of view, most of the "style" seems botched by lack of skill
>>
sounds gay and shit but most vaporwave makes me feel at peace with how short life is, how our existence is a nothing but a sparkle blablabla. dunno why though. prolly the reason why people started pitching down cheesy songs on cassette in the first place.
>>
>>64492455
maybe because you're a 15 yr old white boy raised on anime gifs
>>
>>64489543
Here's a song that should be sampled in vaporwave in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Iku36c4Vgs
>>
File: mYYdWDq.png (37 KB, 1189x359) Image search: [Google]
mYYdWDq.png
37 KB, 1189x359
this comment explains it pretty well
>>
>>64492756
is this post serious? that comment is autistic. do you really emphasize with that comment?

i know the internet is just concentrated autism but really guys it's been a lot more embarrassing than usual lately..
>>
>>64492658
and trying to be a fucking hipster hurr durr
>>
>ctrl c ctrl v old songs
>slow it down and add a lot of shitty reverb
>make an assdeaddick cover
>call it music
>>
>>64492756
I always hated the argument that the music vaporwave samples is "vapid and soulless" until a barely competent bedroom producer gets their hands on it and suddenly it's a political statement.
>>
>>64492756

>durr the 80s so soulless american psycho bitch
>>
>>64493959
>>64494019
>>64493224
>>64492756
I always assumed it was a troll by early vaporwave artists, coming up with an art school thesis for what is essentially lazy shit that took 5 minutes in audacity. The NEET autists that don't get it are the ones who think it's serious.
>>
>>64493959
idk i dont think the originals are necessarily soulless but i do think that vaporwave artists can use it to make a statement that is usually more interesting than anything the original material was saying

like i get that we all like to shit on the presumptuousness of vaporwave artists thinking they have anything important to say but do you honestly value any of the original material
>>
File: nikenuggets.jpg (16 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
nikenuggets.jpg
16 KB, 540x540
https://soundcloud.com/vaperror
does this count as vaporwave (doesn't use any samples from old songs)

I think it's pretty dope
>>
>>64492756
>Artists such as Sade and kimiko kasai
>"vapid" and "soulless

lol ok lad

Proves that vaporfags just parrot anything they hear that sounds smart.
>>
>>64494128
>do you honestly value any of the original material

Honestly, yes. Artists like Sade and Software have been putting out years worth of better music than you'll find in vaporwave.
>>
>>64489543
I make music so the only thing I can focus on is how lazy it is. My thoughts are it's chopped and screwed music wrapped in a nice package for white hipsters, and when it's not samples it's boring ambient music that also takes little effort.

Answering the question twice since you asked it twice, it makes me feel like music as a whole is going to get much much worse
>>
>>64494188
Software is fucking dope greate name drop anon. I always forget to mention them to btfo vaporfags. Software is everything this music wants to be.
>>
>>64494195
yes i think the influence/appropriation from chopped n screwed is kinda fucked, although i do think it's really funny to hear the principle applied to white music and on an unthinking level i just enjoy it

why do you think vaporwave is any indicator of music as a whole's future tho. it's a fairly niche genre

also i dont mean this to sound hostile but ppl who make music always place so much value on how hard or easy something is to do. that's really kinda irrelevant imo. if it's easy but meaningful or pleasing it's still good music.
>>
>>64494212
If Island Sunrise by Software was produced by a vaporwave artist in 2016 I'm sure people in this thread saying vaporwave sucks would call it gargabe, but since it was made in 1988 and is not labelled as vaporwave it's "fucking dope". And then vaporwave is "style over substance" hmm.
I love Software but there are tons of similar vaporwave artists that make similar, if not better music.
>>
>>64494276
Thanks for being such a good sport anon.

It isn't necessarily applied to "white" music, though. Sometimes it's black rnb or pop/soul music.

Vaporwave actually, despite what mu says, is reaching a wider audience and gaining a ton of popularity. A couple of my friends are into it now and I have no idea how they heard about it.

It would be different if it was easy to do and it was innovative or brought something new to the table. Punk rock (to an extent) was easy, but it was actually music of substance (usually) and actually had a message to back it up, instead of philosophical assumptions about what the music represents.
>>
>>64494276
>but ppl who make music always place so much value on how hard or easy something is to do
"Hard to do" isn't quite accurate. It's not that people care about it being technically difficult; if we did we'd just sit around listening to shred guitar wanking all day.

There needs to be effort behind it, not necessarily skill. Like the other anon said, punk rock is about as primitive as you can get to play, but there's real effort behind doing something new there.

Drone music is pretty much technically void, but it's not that easy to make good drone, because technique isn't everything; you can't just pluck a string every minute and call it an album.

It's not "he's not very good", it's "he clearly put a pitifully small effort into this."
>>
>>64494363
tru enough on all of that i suppose. it just gets me when everyone's first criticism is "oh it's so EASY"

i wish it was okay for music to be easy so more people would express themselves musically.

tho personally i see vaporwave a lot of times being kinda personality-void, like flipping channels or skipping through a cd. though that only applies to some of it, a lot of it now is not like that
>>
>>64494338
In a way, you are correct, but guess what? You're incorrect too. They didn't release in 2016, they released in 1988. It was genuine expression of the time, rather than "Lol guiz remember da 80z?!". Even so, I would give software more credit than others because at least they wrote original pieces.

I'm not a big fan of nostalgia fetishization.

The truth is, groups like Software laid the ground for this genre decades ago. Your question is similar to saying "Would you like Black Sabbath if they came out today????" Well, I don't know, what I do know is that there would be tons of bands that wouldn't exist without them, and all of them are clearly inferior to Sabbath, similar to software and vaporwave artists. Really, your question has no purpose in the discussion, just asking "what if?" in an effort to distract from the point. Software did what these guys did better, decades ago, and in their own original compositions. That is all.
>>
>>64489543
Vaporwave makes me feel strong
>>
>>64494439
I'm not a big fan of people who belittle nostalgia with misspelled sentences and loaded terms like "fetishization".
>>
>>64494495
Well that's all well and good but what do you have to argue my point?
>>
>>64494418
>Drone music is pretty much technically void, but it's not that easy to make good drone, because technique isn't everything; you can't just pluck a string every minute and call it an album.

It's actually honestly the same with vaporwave. There is such a huge vaporwave production because it might be "easy" to make a random vaporwave song, and because of this huge production where indeed you have some gargabe vaporwave, some really talented artists who actually put "efforts" in their music are not very well-seen.

The argument of saying vaporwave sucks because it's void and easy to make would be the same as saying drone music is gargabe cause it's easy and it's just noise. You can't generalize a whole genre based on some artists.
>>
>>64489543
>eerie feel
I will never understand why people spout this bullshit.
>>
>>64489840
My nigga.
>>
>>64494439
>at least they wrote original pieces

This very sentence shows that you don't know vaporwave because a lot of vaporwave artists don't use samples at all and write their original compositions.

And I agree with you but I was just making a statement to anons saying vaporwave is "style over substance". In a way we are always influenced by the style, and liking a music or disliking it based on what year it was produced shows that "substance" can't be 100% of how we receive the music.
>>
>>64494544
lead us to the talented vaporwave artists then anon.
>>
>>64494633
Yeah but you just cherry picked an answer from a question that had no place in the discussion anyway. And you aren't arguing my points.
Do I give respect to vaporwave artists who at least write stuff? Yes. and I was aware that there are some who write, but guess what? it's still derivative and boring.
>>
File: cover.jpg (368 KB, 1400x1400) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
368 KB, 1400x1400
how do you guys think bae 2 compared to his first album

i think it shows more skill as a producer but its still less good
>>
>>64494708
>bae
Automatically shit.
>>
>>64494645
Well it depends on everyone's taste but I can mention some vaporwave artists that put their personality in their music, whether it's by the composition, the sampling or the lyrics since one anon said it was usually "personality-void".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk-j5l4H_7k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr3dhJto6UQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWuQ1RcqAf8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8KQQK0JWvo
>>
How do I into vaporwave. I like the Macintosh+ album, where do I go next?
>>
i could make a vaporwave album by the end of the day
>>
>>64494749
https://mega.nz/#F!iwABUApY!MaExct8QR-gKyg_2zdt1YA
there you go
>>
>>64494766
And it would be mediocre vaporwave. You can honestly say this sentence for almost any genre.
>>
>>64494523
I don't think you have a point, you just operate based on the assumption that originality has more value than anything else.
>>
It sounds relatively nice and helps me calm down. I don't think its some revolutionary music genre, but if it sounds good then who cares
>>
>>64494668
You're saying it as if derivative implies boring.

We both know that it's bullshit but be careful how you argue because we might end up thinking that you actually believe it.
>>
>>64489840
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNqnZd967PM
Whats this genre called?
>>
>>64494925
J synth, city-pop, jazz pop, jazz fusion, etc.
>>64491952
>>
>>64494168
It's vaportrap. Pretty much every post-vaporwave genre is better than original vaporwave, but vaporwave autists always scream
>MUH FRENCH HOUSE
>MUH HIPPITY HAWP
>>
>>64494853
yeah i guess you're right. it's just hard for me to take vaporwave seriously after being around fans of vaporwave
i could make three black metal albums by the end of the day
>>
>>64495177
>Pretty much every post-vaporwave genre is better than original vaporwave
Even hardvapour?

>>64495182
Most vaporwave fans are obnoxious as fuck

t: vaporwave listener
>>
>>64495193
Hardvapour isn't even post-vaporwave. It's fucking gabber but gabber is dead so gabber artists are trying to repackage it under the post-vaporwave genre.
>>
Nowadays, vaporwave only ends up making me think of 16 year old alt-right dweebs who unironically support Trump and admin boring meme pages on Facebook with titles like "disdain for creme de la spicy doggo meme's against degeneracy". Absolute garbage.
>>
It's weird cuz it makes me feel like I'm buying a pepsi and cheetoes from a convenience store at 10am while being a 12 year old ready to go play spiderman on the playstation
>>
>>64495277
I'm 26 you dummy
>>
>>64494909
Check this out

I said

Derivative AND Boring

It's almost as if you can't comprehend what you read

>>64494886
Okay so you have no argument thanks for clearing that up
>>
it makes me feel like weed is not enough and i need that lean
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.