[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>ITT: theoretical contender's for pitchfork's next
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 7
File: 234523.png (119 KB, 510x372) Image search: [Google]
234523.png
119 KB, 510x372
>ITT: theoretical contender's for pitchfork's next BNM 10/10

My contender would be:
daft punk + aphex twin surprise dual album
>the pinnacle of electronic music
>displays strong influences from both artists but still creates a massively cohesive work

I could see something like this getting a 10.
>>
>>64485679
contenders*
fuck am I tired
>>
benis Man - The History of beNis part 2 electric benis goo
>>
The next Kendrick Lamar album, realistically.
>>
>>64485679
Probably something undeserving
>>
>>64485703
You can tell theyre kicking themselves for not giving TPAB a 10
>>
>>64485703
yeah this. it would have to be at least as ambitious as TPAB, preferably with 15 minute interviews about riots with Tupac as interludes between tracks
>>
fucking chance the rapper or some other faggot like that
>>
Geologist's solo album
>>
Next 10/10 will be a woman. Guaranteed. I would have bet on janelle monae but she peaked at archandroid. We don't know her name yet.
>>
>>64485679
Here is what I know it will be

>Artist of color
>Socially conscious
>Already hyped for days
>>
>>64485679
Pitchfork still owes Daft Punk for that panning of Discovery so I could see this happening
>>
>>64485679
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj9V8VAmwOc
>>
>>64485679
>daft punk + aphex twin surprise dual album
>>the pinnacle of electronic music
this is the most pardner thing i've ever read
>>
>>64485747
It'll be the new St. Vincent album.
>>
>>64485679
That would make me cry. I hope this never, ever happens.
>>
P4k is so politicized you can guess their ratings based on xxi politics, social environment and the artist's ideology or consciousness about their favourite themes. Where are we going?
>>
>>64485837
why? both are fantastic in different ways
>>
>>64485856
>64485856
Basically this.
Pitchfork is no longer a critical body, its a social commentary site.
It's why their managing editor was on snapchat yesterday giving his opinions under the fucking Drake filter.
He said it was good
>>
Debut album of female studio plant
>>
>>64485877
Only one of them is fantastic and the other is overrated, repetitive garbage.
>>
If Jai Paul ever drops a real album, it has a shot. So does the next Avalanches album.
>>
>>64486023
their earlier work might be but RAM is amazing
>>
>>64486062
oh god dude
>>
>>64486062
RAM is just incredibly bland
>>
>>64486057
Jai paul is actually a really good guess. This anon an elite pitchfork prognosticator
>>
>>64485897
As a profit driven website, it's what makes sense. Music is a social tool much more often than it is an object of contemplation. Hip Hop is very self-referential with its drama-like meta plotlines about the artists' relationships with each other. Entertainment coated by underlying political/social affiliations. P4k is most likely than not one of the most influential websites in the world for millennials.
>>
>daft punk + aphex twin
you dont know richard mate

anyway the next 10/10 will be Kendrick Lamar/Young Thug dual EP, "FUCK WHITE PEOPLE" coming this fall
>>
>>64486092
heheh look at me guys I am so cool and elitist because I don't like pop music

fuck off you stupid contrarian faggot
>>
>>64486140
oh wait, let me guess, you do like pop music, but it's total fucking meme trash like Grimes
>>
>>64485747
...grimes?

Could you imagine the backlash?
>>
>>64486130
>this meme
>>
>>64486130
How about Richard D James and Tom Jenkinson? They've known each other for years.
>>
If Kendricks next album is better that TPAB it will very likely get a 10.
>>
>>64485814
But she's white and privileged!!!
>>
>>64486425
>woman
>lesbian
>privileged
>>
>>64485679
Grimes takes a ten because Kendrick will feature on the closing song with Tupac singing in Swahili.
>>
>>64486440
That's only 2 victim points out of 7.

We need only the artists who are:

* black
* poor
* muslim
* trans
* disabled

Beckies need not apply thank you

HEIL CONDE NAST
>>
File: hotline bling costanza.jpg (36 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
hotline bling costanza.jpg
36 KB, 640x360
>>64486425
>>64486440
>anyone other than a white male
>any privilege or advantage whatsoever
>>
>>64485703
>>64486416
He won't top it. The 10 should've obviously been that, but p4k is a joke anyway so doesn't matter to me
>>
FKA comes out as trans and makes an alt-R&B + jazz album about getting sexually abused.
>>
>>64486533
>>64486539
the saddest thing about these memes is that the #2 album on p4k's list last year, jamie xx- in colour was the worst album in the top 10... except carrie & lowell

the problem is just that white males aren't making good music right now. sorry but it's true. parquet fucking courts are the best p4k rock band out there right now and they are just really good VU clones.
>>
>>64486533
Bullshit, p4k doesn't give a rat's ass about poor people. They idolize to the max rich minorities like its so different than any other kind of rich people. It's like a parody.

>>64486540
>he thinks they are rating the music
>>
File: radiohead.jpg (73 KB, 945x591) Image search: [Google]
radiohead.jpg
73 KB, 945x591
>>64485679
LP9
>>
I have a perfect candidate for you.

Poor black muslim gay trans-man with a disability. Sampling Prince, Bowie and every other dead musician.

I can see it already:

"Tyrone Mohammad IN SHOCK: there's no disabled bathrooms for trans people on airplanes"
>>
>>64486642
That's not happening, and if the album is good (which it will) they might give it a BNM just to not lose all their credibility. It's gonna still be below any other hyped rap/pop release.
>>
>>64486611
You see, "black" means "poor" by default. People of color can't be "rich" because they're an oppressed minority. Same as whites can't be poor because they are the dominating oppressing majority. Glad we cleared that out
>>
>>64485679
This shit still makes me laugh seeing this. Worse than when Wilco got a 10

Not that i dislike Wilco, but YFH is definitely not 10. More like 8
>>
>>64486602
White males aren't making good music right now or white males aren't making good p4k music right now?
>>
>>64486594
This is obviously a joke, but Twigs has a real shot at the next 10.
>>
>>64486725
So much for being leftists, they destroyed Marx's notions on class consciousness.
>>
>>64485747
>>64485814
either of these are possible. Janelle moreso than St. Vincent just because she makes more ambitious albums

I don't think it's guaranteed to be a woman, black person, or hip hop. I don't think it will be Kendrick, mostly because I can't imagine him making three albums in a row that get put at the top of every AOTY list.

guaranteed:
>it's not their first or second BNM (exception could be Jai Paul)
>Pitchfork is not the only major publication to give it a perfect score
>it's not a "legacy" album/made by an artist that peaked before 2000

it could conceivably be Flying Lotus, James Blake, Bon Iver, or Frank Ocean. Actually now that I think about it, there really aren't any rappers likely to get a 10 in the next couple of years.
>>
>>64485747
oh yes archandroid was the best album that year besides HOOM. such a great musical album, great melodies and amazing vocals
>>
>>64486750
the latter. There are plenty of white men (and people in all demographics) making interesting music, but not in the genres that are covered by music magazines. Rock music has been painfully boring for years
>>
>>64486750
i mean white males are making good music. they just aren't making music that is really pushing boundaries. i love parquet courts but they aren't taking music anywhere. and bands like zs or something are great, i love zs, but come on that kind of music is never going to be the kind of music that unites a generation (Which is what p4k is rating, really)
>>64486644
I know a poor black muslim gay trans woman with a disability. He is homeless, addicted to heroin, and i think he has aids. Fuck off to /pol/
>>
>>64486602
If you're black, you're simply not being objective.

The truth is quite simple. Pitchfork used to have a huge bias for indie bands. Now it has an even bigger bias, but for black music. It simply ignores the good releases by anyone who isn't black, or female, and overhypes all releases by black/female artists.

The site has been and continues to be the leading hype machine in music. They used to make indie drones, now they make hip-hop drones. Simple as that. Black music didn't get any better and white music didn't get any worse. It's simply people jumping from one bandwagon to another.
>>
What albums since MBDTF have received 9.5 or higher?
>>
>>64486945
channel orange is one
>>
>>64486945
literally his following album lel
>>
>>64486945
Yeezus
>>
>>64486906
>I know a poor black muslim gay trans woman with a disability. He is homeless, addicted to heroin, and i think he has aids. Fuck off to /pol/
Tell him he has a great future in music. I'll stay in this thread since it annoys you so much, I think a sensitive nigger child like you deserves to feel mad.
>>
>>64486906
Of all the boundary-pushing music being made right now, none of it is being made by white males?
>>
File: 1461723297737.jpg (72 KB, 1200x839) Image search: [Google]
1461723297737.jpg
72 KB, 1200x839
>>64486945
>>64486976
>>64486993
>>64487002
lawd

>>64487024
he's dumb, OPN is white
>>
>>64486937
naw man rap was just terrible in general from 2000-2010 (with obvious notable exceptions like cam'ron, wayne, and ye) that's all

now its back and p4k is reflecting that. we'll know if they're legit or not by what they give views. 8.2 or 8.3 bnm would be fine but any higher than that would mean they really are just shilling for pop stars
>>
>>64486906
>that kind of music is never going to be the kind of music that unites a generation (Which is what p4k is rating, really)
this is the crux of it, really. Pitchfork's AOTY list is never going to be about the best music, it's about the best music that represents the year. Not that they don't fuck that up just as well.
>>
>>64487049
That's who I was thinking of too
>>
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32 KB, 400x400
>>64487063
>wayne
>good
>>
>>64487049
i worded my post badly

pitchfork cums on opn and for a good reason but opn isn't making the kind of music that unites a generation (Which is what p4k is rating, really)
>>
Childish Gambino Next album. Just wait motherfuckers
>>
Next Radiohead
>>
>>64487063
Terrible? Tastes differ, but I don't agree with that. Like there wasn't Clipse, Kanye's first albums, Outkast if you count their rap songs, Aesop Rock, T.I., Jay-Z and so on.

If anything, I liked it better than I like current rap. Constant unneeded namedropping and other memes, the whole attitude went to shit.

Now we have Kanye who says he's a god and Kendrick who together with Kanye raps how black people abused by whites. Despite both earning more than most middle-class white people.

The last rapper I actually enjoyed listening to was ILOVEMAKKONNEN.
>>
>>64487070
You know the p4k best song 2010-2014? No? It's Grimes' Oblivion. No shit. It's #1.

You know why? Here: http://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/9466-the-200-best-tracks-of-the-decade-so-far-2010-2014/?page=10

> If “Oblivion” says anything about our collective psyche at the midway point of a decade already defined by seismic, globe-altering revolutions, it’s that the personal will always be political. The song recounts a specific sexual assault (“One of the most shattering experiences of my life,” Grimes, who was born in Vancouver as Claire Boucher, told SPIN in 2012) by describing the psychic fallout: “And never walk about after dark/ It’s my point of view/ Because someone could break your neck/ Coming up behind you always coming and you’d never have a clue,” she lisps in her high, pinched voice. It’s a dazzling, paralyzing performance, in part because Boucher sounds almost playful, and in part because the skronking behind her—the song’s springy, propulsive synth line was one of 2012’s most unforgettable—indicates something other than victimization. “See you on a dark night,” Boucher repeats.

TLDR it's about rape. So yeah, "current year".
>>
>>64486937
http://www.albumoftheyear.org/ratings/1-pitchfork-highest-rated/2016/1
in their top 20 rated of 2016
>9 white men
>6 black men
>2 black women
>2 white women
>1 multiracial duo

if they're trying to only give good reviews to black music, they're doing a pretty terrible job
>>
File: InTheCourtOfTheDumbFrogposter.png (1 MB, 710x704) Image search: [Google]
InTheCourtOfTheDumbFrogposter.png
1 MB, 710x704
>Pitchfork has handed out something like four tens to on release albums (note that I'm not counting meme tens for nonsense like Gay?, a Bob Dylan live bootleg collection, some random Bonnie Prince Billy album, and fucking Walt Mink)
>but in retrospect every album that is remotely respected gets a 10, David Bowie and Prince were given multiple tens for dying, The Beatles apparently released a ten every year for years

Why is this allowed? Is Pitchfork saying all modern music is trash?
>>
>>64486642
i don't think they're ever getting a 10 again
>>
>>64487226
2016 has been disappoitning but dont tell me 2010-2014 weren't fucking lit for rap. you said clipse, but pusha has been on a fucking roll these past 6 years too.
>>
>>64486945
Bon Iver - Bon Iver
Channel Orange - Frank Ocean
GKMC - Kendrick
Kanye - Yeezus
all 9.5
>>
>>64487335
I don't know what you're trying to say. Do you think rape isn't something worth writing about?
>>
>>64485679
guys they're gonna give views a 10 this week lol
>>
>>64485735
This
>>
>>64487359
They give out tens only to music that either blows them away immediately or music that is "irrefutable". A great example is Donuts not earning BNM on release but getting a 10 on reissue.
>>
>>64486820
FlyLo has gotten BNM on every one of his releases. I could see it.
>>
>>64487355
The indie/experimental artist/listener-base is overwhelmingly comprised of white males though. I have no issue with minorities being recognized; but experimental rock/pop is predominantly a white scene. It's like claiming racism because black rappers get more praise/coverage than white rappers.
>>
>>64487382
Upon further research, the only things to receive a score higher than 9.5 on release since 2004 are MPP (9.6) and MBDTF (10)
>>
I really can't believe people still read Pitchfork.

It's one of those realities that just kind of horrifies me if I think about it too much.
>>
>>64487598
I'll go there occasionally for news but really I just like seeing the kind of shit they give good ratings too. I don't really care about it outside of entertainment value.
>>
>>64487509
yeah and all the indie rock/pop they review well is made by white artists.

Also, women aren't a minority, so "recognizing" them seems compulsory if you're trying to be unbiased.
>>
>>64487393
Are you dumb? Write about rape, but why give a song #1 for it? We're playing victimhood olympics again. Not even the best track on a so-so album like Visions gets #1—not even a Kanye track, not even a Kendrick track—but a song which is there solely for political reasons.

This isn't music criticism, and not even writing about important things. This is a statement: "if a song is about rape, it's the most important song of the decade".
>>
>>64487560
jesus
>>
>>64487712
visions is a pretty good song dude

if you dont care why even get mad

the new york fuckign times endorsed hillary just because shes a woman get mad at that if anythign
>>
>>64486366
i'm pretty sure i read somewhere that they don't like to make music together or one doesn't with the other or whatever
>>
>>64487598
Talking about it and reading it are different things.
>>
>>64487712
it sounds like they liked it and you didn't. What are the statements made by their other top 10 tracks?
>>
I would have said Arcade Fire, but then they'd be saying it was better than Funeral and post-2000s indie pretty much peaked with Funeral so
>>
>>64487734
>visions is a pretty good song dude
It's not Visions, it's Oblivion.

I posted this for different reason: that P4K is completely unashamed to hype artists they deem more important for political reasons or other views.

This just goes to show that trusting P4K for reviews is unwise at best. White people can make or not make music that "pushes boundaries" as you put it; but P4K is clearly more occupied with its own agendas then unbiased music criticism.

They never were, really, but it's gotten much worse in recent years. Even the white artists they hype turn out to be complete duds.
>>
>>64487118
>unites a generation

is that a codename for post-ironic commercial pop music?
>>
TPAB seemed like the obvious contender for a 10 so I was pretty surprised to see it get a lower score than GKMC

If TPAB couldn't get a 10 then I doubt Kendrick will ever get one, that album was a perfect storm of hype, narrative, and political timeliness and I doubt that Kendrick will ever be able to repeat that again
>>
>>64486168
out of all the 99% bad pop artists in the world, you had to pick the one that is actually good
>>
>>64487367
a shame since they deserve it, TKOL was legit one of my favourite radiohead albums
>>
>>64485679
This is kind of silly and a little childish too. Seems like the analogue of mixing bacon with nutella for le epic flavor of gods xDDD
>>
File: Costanza.jpg (19 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Costanza.jpg
19 KB, 400x400
>>64488304
>grimes
>good
>>
>>64486057
>>64486820
>>64486118
Explain to me what makes Jai Paul's music exceptional. I never could understand why he turned into some kind of meme. Is it the lyrics? The lo-fi production? His mysterious persona?
>>
>>64488205
the whole black power theme probably threw alot of people off, especially since most of people who listen to rap nowadays arent even black.

GKMC was awesome in its storytelling about Compton and Kendrick's days as a good kid turned criminal due to peer pressure it just clicked easily and was very digestible.

on the otherhand TPAB wasn't as east to swallow, it was too political for Kendrik and entered a theme many didnt really like especially with the whole tribal obsession shit which was pretty dumb imo.

i personally liked the songs including the Blacker the Berry but the black theme and how people wanna destroy black culture and shit just threw me off desu. didnt wanna hear that shit from kendrik i guess
>>
>>64488437
*punches you in the face until you pass out*
Fuck did you say about Grimes, BITCH?
>>
>>64488437
shes just not your style, i had friend once who only listened to death metal and thought that everyone else was complete garbage, now i we all know not everyone outside of metal is garbage but he deemed it to be that way.

really opened my eyes, music that i dont like could possibly be someone else favorite band. everyone has different tastes and perspectives which is really why i love music in general so much
Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.