[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why isn't this considered to be as important or more important
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 3
File: Disco Inferno - D.I. Go Pop F+.jpg (75 KB, 563x558) Image search: [Google]
Disco Inferno - D.I. Go Pop F+.jpg
75 KB, 563x558
why isn't this considered to be as important or more important than Loveless?
>>
It's not as good.
>>
because its pretentious shit that only white beta cuck males enjoy
>>
>>64417505
its not good
>>
>>64417505
This is literal nu-male core pretentious wank. Gtfo.
>>
>>64417505
not accessible enough for white teen males who think they're patrician for liking loveless, a pop album
>>
It's good but it's strongly influenced by Loveless without topping it. It's a little derivative. Still a great album though.
>>
>>64417505
Because it isn't as important or more important than Loveless

>>64417522
>>64417526
>>64417548
>>64417619
Also true but not relevant
>>
it's not very good nor is it that important
>>
the only reason people know about this album is because it was included in that big /mu/ recommendations image because one guy voted for it and nobody knew what it was so they included it

it's extremely boring, not innovative and dull - it's bad
>>
>>64417505
A Crash At Every Speed is the only track on here that's even slightly interesting
>>
Why are you even comparing the two? I like the album but it's not shoegaze at all
>>
Why are people even comparing the two? I like the album but it's not like shoegaze at all
>>
>>64418452
i dunno. i love the first 4 or so tracks, then after that it kinda loses it.
>>
>>64418426

>it's extremely boring

literally as meaningless a statement as yr run of the mill pleb saying "but it's just noise" whenever they hear something slightly abrasive

>not innovative

this album mixed rock/pop sentiments with swathes of sample based sound collages, often without percussion, and this heat esque politcal/social commentary; pretty fucking innovative imo, no album since has sounded like it and bands that /mu/ nut over like anco and the avalanches have cited it as an influence
>>
Why the hell is everyone dissing this record? Never seen so much hate for DI
>>
>>64418956
>this album mixed rock/pop sentiments with swathes of sample based sound collages, often without percussion, and this heat esque politcal/social commentary
it's just liberal teenage poetry being recited over random noises they found because they can't play their instruments properly. total trite that would have never made any difference at all to anybody on the planet if it was never released because it's completely derivative garbage attempting to seem deep
>>
>>64418997
welcome to /mu/ where no one likes anything
>>
>>64418956
>literally as meaningless a statement as yr run of the mill pleb saying "but it's just noise" whenever they hear something slightly abrasive
Except saying "it's just noise" is an objectively wrong statement whereas "it's extremely boring" is entirely subjective, you fucking idiot.

>this album mixed rock/pop sentiments with swathes of sample based sound collages, often without percussion
That doesn't mean shit when the pop sections sound like budget Wire and the "experimental" sections lack any kind of musical development or thoughtful composition.
Listen to Moonshake or Pram if you want to hear this kind of thing done right. At least they know how to actually compose.

>>64418997
I'm surprised it's taken /mu/ this long to realise how garbage this album is.
>>
It's boring as fuck.
>>
>>64417505
I remember listening to it and thinking it was bad but I don't remember why so it's probably just bad
>>
havent listened to this album yet but this song is a fucking rocker https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beKs4olq4DQ
>>
>Disco Inferno made this album
>/mu/ and RYM don't care
>Fishmans made the same fucking album (except worse)
>/mu/ and RYM are obsessing over it only because it's Japanese and because their singer died soon after it

Fuck this board.
>>
>>64419272
lmao hello disco inferno member

you're the first person i've ever met who honestly likes this band and has to resort to putting other bands down in order to justify your enjoyment of it

face it - they're shit and you're a poser
>>
>Loveless
>good or even important

How to reveal yourself as "ive never heard Spacemen 3 or Jesus & Mary Chain"
>>
>>64419326
lol
>>
>>64419349
Lol says the "MUH TEXTURES" poster
>>
File: 76a.gif (3 MB, 300x403) Image search: [Google]
76a.gif
3 MB, 300x403
OP is so fucking mad like i've never seen before, holy shit, this guy needs therapy

>his face when disco inferno is a shit band that nobody cares about
>>
>>64419380
you have no clue
>>
Well, time to add this band to the list of poseurcore artists.

They're in the same league with Coil, Les Rallizes, Ornette Coleman, Morton Feldman, Albert Ayler, Thinking Fellers Union Local 282
and others...
>>
>>64419422

OP here, whilst I am seething with anger right now, i've only made one post in this thread
>>
>>64419380
All of those bands are "muh textures"-core but Kevin Shields is a better songwriter than Jason Pierce or the Reid brothers, not to mention Loveless takes the whole concept of timbre and texture as a vital component of rock music much, much further than either of those bands ever did.
>>
>>64419495
>Kevin Shields
>better songwriter

come on now son

I get that you like it, but you have to be able to admit truths about things you like. Like that MBV writes pretty shitty songs
>>
>>64419536
>"I don't know anything about pop songwriting"
>>
>>64419440

please hang yourself bud
>>
>>64419326
All 3 of these bands/albums are rad, stop being a suck a faggot. Yeah loveless is """mainstream""" now, doesn't mean you have to shit on it
>>
i bet op has never even heard swell maps lmao
>>
>>64419579
waaaaa poseur babby is mad waaaaa
>>
>>64419589
But it's never been more than a 5/10
>>
>>64419597
How is Swell Maps comparable to Loveless in any way, shape or form?
>>
>>64419589
>All 3 of these bands/albums are rad
JaMC are pretty mediocre though
>>
>>64419621
>>64419645
fuck OFF kids
>>
>>64419638
in the same way that d.i. go pop is comparable to loveless (it's not)
>>
>this thread
Jesus christ /mu/. DI Goes Pop is almost universally hailed as a masterpiece, and for good reason.

>>64417720
>>64419272
>>64419589
only sane posters ITT

this whole "poseur" meme has to stop. just because you don't like something, it doesn't mean that nobody is allowed to.

tldr grow the fuck up
>>
>>64419660
YEAH ONLY KIDS GIVE THIS OVERBLOWN VORTEX OF TEXTURED POP A 5/10
>>
>>64419699
Don't be so vague, poseur babby. Explain why it's 'hailed as a masterpiece' without using buzzwords like "innovative"
>>
>>64419272
>their singer died soon after it
shit nigger I had no idea
>>
>>64419699
>it's good because i say it is and if you disagree you're an idiot
Fuck off.
>>
>>64419728
Nice memespeech, do you think in memes too? Retard
>>
>>64419728
Yeah, you'd have to be pretty immature to hate pop for pop's sake, especially if you post on a board where the vast majority of discussion centres around pop music.
>>
>>64419736
suck my fucking dick you fucking retard
>>
>>64419802
Yeah, that's what I expected.
>>
>>64419780
"I don't like what he said, so i'll say memes and call it a day"

You can't say anything else because anyone who has heard Jesus & Mary Chain, Loop, and Spacemen 3 obviously knows Loveless isnt half as innovative as its treated
>>
>>64419736
It's not a matter of it being innovative. The use of sampling (especially in the opening and closing tracks) to make a unique sound that, I, personally enjoy. You don't have to like it, but it is important, if only for historical value.

heres a small sample of its critical praise. I'm sure you could find reviews that hate it, I just chose the first few results.

>http://www.tinymixtapes.com/delorean/disco-inferno-di-go-pop
>http://www.westnet.com/consumable/1994/11.23/revdisco.html
I know it's shitty pitchfork, but it's a decent review
>http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/2556-di-go-pop-technicolour/
>http://thequietus.com/articles/14477-disco-inferno-di-go-pop
>>
>>64419828
yeah sure memester
>>
>>64419857
Chapterhouse's Whirlpool is also more forward thinking than Loveless and isnt a plodding mess of effect-chain wank
>>
disco inferno aren't shoegaze, why are they being compared to my bloody valentine?
>>
>>64419894
>Chapterhouse's Whirlpool is also more forward thinking than Loveless
What's so "forward thinking" about it?

>effect-chain wank
Thanks for proving that you don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>64419440
>tful is poseur now
wish I never got into them
>>
>>64419440
>>64419617
>>64419736
So this album is Poseurcore too?

Personally, I enjoyed it. What a shame that I can't like it anymore though.
>>
>>64419950
Whirlpool covers loads of ground, some of the more poppy moments are like Darklands given a tempo kick and more fuzz, with others more akin to what Shields did on MBV...20 years later

If you think it isnt effect laden wank, you obviously dont play guitar bud
>>
>>64419894
You don't even fucking realize that you have yet to come up with a rational/backed-up criticism
>weeeeh I have shit ears weeeeh blurry wank WEEEEEH
>>>/reddit/
>>
Are you a poseur?

Poseurs are some of the worst posters on /mu/, often conglomerating in /daily/ and /RYM/, circlejerking about their "great, obscure, and unique taste" that everyone who has browsed /mu/ for five minutes knows about. They lack the musical intelligence to appreciate this music, yet pretend to like it in order to posture as an intelligent and enlightened listener because they like edgelord garbage like Whitehouse. Even worse is that they often shit on people for being "drones" for genuinely enjoying /mu/core when they themselves are drones of RYM tastemakers a la AntiWarhol.

The most egregious poseur artists are Comus, Coil, Les Rallizes Denudes (probably the worst offender), Disco Inferno, This Heat, and Albert Ayler. If you are a poseur, shame on you.
>>
>>64420037
>Whirlpool covers loads of ground, some of the more poppy moments are like Darklands given a tempo kick and more fuzz, with others more akin to what Shields did on MBV...20 years later
Be more specific maybe? What musical/production techniques did the album actually innovate?
>If you think it isnt effect laden wank, you obviously dont play guitar bud
Loveless has very little effects pedal usage compared to most other shoegaze bands at the time. Read a little about the album's production sometime.
"Wank" is a meaningless buzzword.
>>
>>64420136
Take April for example: http://youtu.be/8r4FM4OSTpM

>key shift from main riff/verse to chorus
>much more organic, non-lates 80s drum production
>same really noisy ideas that Loveless has on the near-instumentals of some tracks incorporated into "actual" songsp
>>
>>64419894
Can you please stop posting? You are so fucking angry that people enjoy Loveless that you've resorted to claiming that a dreamy britpop album that isn't even shoegaze is somehow superior to MBV's sonic masterpiece.
>>
>>64420388
Bruh bruh you just identified yourself as hella unaware of many things
>>
god i hate this fucking board

2 things:
1. there's no need to show off "great obscure and unique" taste when you're completely anonymous. there's literally no point in bragging.
2. because of this, the vast majority who listen to "poseurcore" listen to it because they (get this) actually ENJOY THE MUSIC. they like listening to these artists because they like actually seeking out and listening to interesting music, not because they're obscure. i cannot stand anti-intellectualism. what is the problem with someone taking the time to develop their music taste?
>>
File: 1455637145088.jpg (61 KB, 526x400) Image search: [Google]
1455637145088.jpg
61 KB, 526x400
>mfw it was so fucking easy to turn this thread into a shitstorm because the people who rabidly defend music as boring as this are militant against people who think that their vacuum sounds are superior to others
>>
>>64420315
The idea of disparaging Loveless as "effects-laden wank" and praising this as superior is pretty laughable. Not only is the songwriting inferior, the sound exploration is far less creative and more obvious (blatant flanger on the lead guitar, reverb and distortion everywhere, not much other than that).
>>
>>64419972
they were one of the original poseur bands part of the copypasta
>>
>>64419224
you alright
>>
>>64417505
Loveless is horrible anyway
>>
imo it's because it has spawned less copy cat bands and is therefore "less influential". the reason being DI's sound is far less imitable than MBV's
>>
>>64417626
>loveless
>a pop album are you retarded or is this bait?
>>
>>64421745
hogwash
>>
This albums shits all over Loveless, Loveless is urban outfitter tier, tumblr tier music
>>
>>64421790
not the guy you responded to, but it's basically reverbed pop, its' really good tho.
>>
>>64421931
nice counter-argument :)
>>
>>64422449
i don't need to argue with you because i'm dismissing your opinion as being too stupid to warrant a counter argument
>>
>>64422488
v interesting :)
>>
>>64419495
Loveless is one of the best albums ever, and MBV one of my favorite bands ever, but they were literally never good due to songwriting. If they tried to be a regular pop rock/britpop band they wouldn't have been shit because they didn't have the melodies or the hooks as songwriters, instead finding brilliance in textures.
>>
>>64422645
Refer to >>64419562
>>
>>64420082
not a single one of those artists except maybe Les Rallizes Denudes are obscure.
>>
So know that this thing is somewhat well known /mu/ hates it, wew
>>
>>64422693
i remember threads about this album being total shite not deserving to be on any /mu/ list 4 years ago
>>
>>64422673
Give me one strong hook or melody behind all the guitar noise from Loveless and tell me why it's better pop songwriting than "Common People" by Pulp :)
>>
because it isn't The Orb
>>
>>64422743
"Come in Alone" has a great melody with lots of accented 7ths, 4-3 suspensions, passing tones and blue notes. The moment in the third verse where the melody goes up two scale degrees higher than usual outlining a dominant 7th on the tonic chord is especially brilliant.
The album as a whole has great songwriting. Most of the chord progressions use a bunch of extended and suspended chords and the melodies have this great feeling of constant progression that you don't find in most pop albums, where the melodic phrases last for far longer than you'd expect.

"Common People" is just a shitty I-V-I vamp for almost 6 minutes with a melody mainly consisting of the same two notes alternating.
Blur > Pulp
>>
>>64423318
okay anon i've gotta be honest here you did just school me

i don't know shit bout songwriting honestly, you win
>>
Consider this:

Your favorite shoegaze band that nobody gives a fuck about were not influential. Were not big. Largely copied MBV or put out albums that have no legacy. Did not come from the same British scene that produced shoegaze.

There's a very clear "Big Four" of shoegaze

1. MBV
2. Slowdive
3. Ride
4. Lush

Everyone else is far less important/big.

Chapterhouse are almost this level but still nowhere near as big as the other groups.

These 4 bands all broke up in the 90s. Reunited recently. Have had big reissue campaigns and reunited for high profile tours and festival gigs.

As much as you wanna circlejerk Feelies, Curve, etc, they just don't matter nearly as much.
>>
>>64423318
Agree completely, but the real question is, why is anyone comparing Pulp to MBV? Pulp isn't shoegaze.

Blur shit all over the entire Britpop contest. Clearly had the best legacy and overall output. Have multiple albums considered classics. Were the biggest group from this scene.

Oasis had like two good albums (their first two) and then turned into absolute shit and the constant crybaby whining between the two brothers is pathetic. Not mention Noel Gallagher is insane.
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.