[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ideal Album Length
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: 1461255234814.jpg (52 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1461255234814.jpg
52 KB, 1000x1000
What is the ideal album length for you /mu/?

For me 30-45 minutes. Anything longer than 50 minutes is kind of a chore to listen to (since tracks in an album have the same feel/sound to them more or less)
>>
I only listen to EPs and Singles
>>
As long as an album is consistently interesting or going through a narrative (which will lead to different modes throughout) I couldn't really care less about length.

However many albums overstay their welcome. Some albums only have 50 minutes worth of material but they stretch it to 70 minutes. I find those to be a chore for sure.
>>
46 min is perfect, plus or minus 8 is acceptable.
>>
Same OP.

I don't want to set an hour or so aside just to listen to an album and if an album is over 1hr long then whoever is making it better have a good excuse for that shit.
>>
i only listen to what plays on the radio

i don't even listen to music while browsing /mu/ or when i'm not in my car
>>
>>64415313
doesn't that mean tolerating pop trash that often plays on radio? I'm not from the states so I don't know how the state of radio is there but where I'm from radio exclusively plays pop because its popular.
>>
This is a very pleb question OP. Just like the "ideal length" of a song, people will mostly answer a value that's close to the average - 30-45 for an album and 3-4 minutes for a song, because we have been conditioned to think that's the normal length. In truth the ideal length is whatever the artist thinks is right - any other answer is consumeristic, superficial and tautological.
>>
I just want to congratulate OP on finding the perfect image to accompany your thread. Your question is really shit though.
>>
>>64415430
>consumeristic
>tautological
do you understand the meaning of the words that you use to sound smart?
>>64415448
meh. I wanted to know if others get bored or annoyed with albums longer than 50 minutes because I remember getting tired and impatient when that happens.

>Your question is really shit though.
better than the intense shitposting that pervades this board which is cancer tbqh.
>>
>>64415529
>do you understand the meaning of the words that you use to sound smart?
Yes but I can explain it to you if you don't. It's consumeristic because it favors the expectations and desires of the consumer instead of the intention of the artist. It's tautological because it says the average value should be the ideal, and because the artists will want to attain that ideal - creating a circular logic where the songs pursue themselves.
>>
IMO, it varies depending on the genre.
Pop: 35-45 minutes, 3-4 minutes per song except for the 2:52 hit single and the 5-minute filler track
Rock: Same as above, except for a 3:47 hit single and an 8-minute attempt at "art rock"
Metal: 30-50 minutes
Jazz: 60-90 minutes, 5-7 minutes per song except for a 15-minute title track
Post-rock: 60-120 minutes, 8-30 minutes per track
Electronic: 50 minutes, either very short or very long tracks (preferably a mix of both)
Hip-hop: 50 minutes, 3-5 minutes each except for an 8-minute closing track
Folk: 30-60 minutes, 2-4 minutes per song
Emo/screamo: <30 minutes, no songs can be longer than 3 minutes
Ambient: 60-90 minutes, 5-10 minutes per track
Drone: 6 hours, one track
Bull of Heaven: ???
The Gerogerigegege: ?????
>>
>>64415677
>because it favors the expectations and desires of the consumer instead of the intention of the artist.
no. not really. the question can be directed at the artist and his ability to condense his or her vision within a certain frame.

>circular logic.
average value (45 minutes) should be the ideal -/> ideal is set by the average value (45 minutes). just because someone enjoys a certain length does not put any restriction on the artist.

also, circular logic is not the same as a tautology.
The following is a tautolgy
p implies p
The following is circular logic
p implies q. q implies p.

tautologies are self evident and are "true" trivially whereas circular logic is not.
>>
>>64415868
finally a good answer. this is what i was more or less what i was looking for.

>Pop: 35-45 minutes, 3-4 minutes per song except for the 2:52 hit single and the 5-minute filler track
>Electronic: 50 minutes, either very short or very long tracks (preferably a mix of both)
>Emo/screamo: <30 minutes, no songs can be longer than 3 minutes
definitely agree here. emo/screamo shouldn't be too long. gets old really quick.

>Hip-hop: 50 minutes, 3-5 minutes each except for an 8-minute closing track
>Folk: 30-60 minutes, 2-4 minutes per song

kind of disagree here. folk is usually enjoyable for 30 to 40 minutes. 60 is too high.
>>
>>64415107
Anything under 5 hours isn't worth listening to.
>>
>>64415107
Its relative to how good it is and personal taste
>>
My favorite album is 90 minutes, but I usually don't care about album lengthy and prefer to listen to individual songs (obviously checking the whole album first).
A recording of non-stop greatness of around 30 minutes would be pretty cool though.

>>64415899
P implies q, q implies p; implies p implies p, which is a tautology. Just saying
Tautology is anything on which p implies p
2+3=5<=>2+2=4 is a tautology
>>
>>64416309
>Tautology is anything on which p implies p
no. p implies p is a tautology but all tautologies are not of this form. a tautology is anything that is always true irrespective of the truth value of the predicates.

>P implies q, q implies p; implies p implies p, which is a tautology.

1. p->p holds trivially and is a tautology which means it can be deduced from any proposition.
And if "p->q is true and q->p is true then it only shows that "p<=>q" is true. Formally speaking

>(p->q & q->p) <=> (p<=>q)
is a tautology. (as you said)
>(p->q & q->q)
is NOT a tautology. it just shows equivalence of p and q.

However claiming that "p is true because q->p and p->q" is circular logic and a false deduction. So I'm not sure how you think my post had "circular logic".
>>
>>64416309
also, what's your favorite album?
>>
>>64416456
I'm not the poster you originally replied to, I just wanted to correct you on the thing you said about tautologies.
But yeah, I made the mistake of p>q and q>p = p<>p instead of p<>q
Now, tautologies aren't always self evident

>>64416471
Sing to God by Cardiacs
>>
Most albums would benefit from being around 45 mins long. There are plenty of exceptions, but 45 is my ideal.
>>
>>64416619
>tautologies aren't always self evident
they are. each tautology can be reduced using rules of propositional or predicate logic to the boolean value T.
For example:

> p->p
> (not-p) or (p)
> T

A tautology is by definition any sentence that holds True irrespective of the value of the propositional variables in it.
>>
>>64415107
20-30 minutes with no track longer than 2:30
>>
A single 40 minute track
>>
I agree with 30-45, although I'm not against 1 Hour+ albums if it actually feels necessary
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.