[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What influence did your parents have on your music taste?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1
File: 1461825104531.png (214 KB, 557x543) Image search: [Google]
1461825104531.png
214 KB, 557x543
My dad was into SRV, my mom gospel shit like Andrae Crouch and the Winans.

From SRV, I got into Albert King, Jimi Hendrix, and John Mayer.

From Andrae Crouch, I got into Fred Hammond and Smokey Robinson.
>>
absolutely none, if they did, I would be listening to beaner shit right now.
>>
My dad is a huge Springsteen fan, and thus i became a huge Springsteen fan.
>>
My dad was into dadrock and cocaine. I listen to black metal exclusively.
>>
my mom had a big influence on me. she was a single mom until I was 5, and still after that we're extra close I guess.

we used to dance together in the living room to radiohead, oasis, R.E.M., Portishead, fleetwood mac, the verve, U2, the cranberries, the cure and stuff like that.

despite my music taste having been broadened a lot since then, we still have a lot in common tastewise and it's always fun when I send her some new song I think she might like.
>>
My dad listens to dadrock and grunge a lot so I grew up with an affinity for those genres
>>
Dad is a big delta blues and Hindustani classical fan. I got the love for blues from him and eventually realized that hindustani classical is just as great. Too bad he gives me recs on these very very rarely.

Mom was a violinist in a philharmonic orchestra so she introduced me to some basic pieces from Bach, Vivaldi and Saint-Saens but overall she isn't all that well-versed in Western classical. Did give me occasional insight on the shit I started listening to myself, so that is nice.

Overall they definitely helped. A lot.
>>
>>64410335
My dad listened to a lot of rock, particularly The Grateful Dead, and think that contributed to me liking a lot of psychedelic music and rock in general. I also heard a lot of stuff like the Stones and Led Zeppelin pretty often because of him.

I lost my mom pretty early, so I never knew what she listened to, but my dad says that I trip him out sometimes by getting way into a lot of the music she listened to, even without knowing her. I guess she liked stuff like Siouxsie and the Banshees and Garbage and The Cranberries, because those are the bands that have drawn that comment when I obsess over them. It's weird to think that my music taste actually seems to be closest to hers, because that either makes it genetic or something I heard in the womb.
>>
My dad listened to a lot of punk and new wave. Found out about a bunch of LA punk bands from him. Also talking heads, Eno, scientist, the residents, beefheart etc. He likes a lot of the hip hop I give him. He ironically hates most dadrock.

My mom listened to mainly synth based stuff. She used to blast Daft Punk, orbital, Chemical Bros, etc on the way to school, I used to hate it but now I realize she actually had good taste lmao. She's also really into RATM and Crystal Castles for some reason. Oh, and a lot of Brazilian music but that's just cuz where she's from.

Tbh I didn't start listening to my parents music till after high school. I had pleb taste most the time and I'm probably the only member of my family who enjoys metal/hardcore music.
>>
>>64410546
>orbital
Hell fucking yeah. Your mom sounds cool.
>>
Dad likes dadrock and older metal.

Mom likes new-wavey 80's stuff and singer-songwriter ladies.

Both of them like 60's-70's folk/folk rock and some entry-level indie here and there.

I really like Nick Drake, Simon & Garfunkel, CSN&Y, and Joni Mitchell on account of them. The rest didn't really stick.
>>
my dad liked cake
i like cake
>>
Mom was into new wave, hip hop, and dance from the 80s so I was too. Then from grandma we had the Stones, Bowie etc. I got lucky.
>>
Dad was heavy into the punk scene. Mom was a normie.

My parents heavily influenced my musical tastes, even if I dont listen to the same music as them. My whole attitude towards music was shaped by what my dad played on long rides in the car.
>>
>>64410612

Nick Drake was the soundtrack to my childhood, my dad always loved his voice and wished music would go back to stuff like that
>>
Not much. Twisted metal and mortal kombat movies at a young age did most the influencing
>>
>>64410335
My dad loves Lynyrd Skynyrd and i cant play "I cant make any changes" on guitar without shedding a tear.
>>
>>64410335
Parents always had Ween, The Flaming Lips, Ramones, Pixies, etc when I was growing up
>>
My dad was a punk who got into hip-hop in the late 80s
>>
>>64410490
Born To Run (album) top 10 of all time
>>
>>64410520
I have no idea how one would dance to these bands but this sounds beautiful
>>
My parents forced all of my siblings and I to only listen to christian rock until I was about 12. Then I secretly started listening to secular music. My father's favorite band of all time is U2 and my mother loves Coldplay.

I can't say I really got anything from them.
>>
Dad liked The Pet Shop Boys, New Order, The Cure, and all those other English bands prolific in the 80's and 90's. I really loved the pet shop boys and still do, they were the first electronic group i experienced. Since then my tastes have diverged towards house and techno.

Mum liked/still likes Australian rock bands: Cold Chisel, Icehouse, all those. I have always hated that sort of stuff and still do.
>>
Dad was into Metallica but was also a classical head, taught me to love both
>>
Pretty much all of it?

Thing is my parents have a near encyclopedic knowledge of music, so while other kids were pressured into being good at sports or ballet or whatever, I was pressured into recognising a David Bowie song on the radio before I was 6 or w/e. Our likes are pretty much the same except for my love of more experimental music, except like them I can't stand miles Davis/coltrane type jazz
>>
My dad was into prog rock like Yes and early Genesis and jazz. Guess he taught me how to be open to many genres
>>
>>64411548
So...your dad was one of the Beastie Boys?
>>
A lot...My father has over 600 vinyls and 500 cd's. He listens to a lot of genres. While growing up, one day i could be listening to Genesis, other day to Duke Ellington, other day to a Beethoven String Quartet.
>>
Not much at all. My older brother had more of an influence on my music taste.
>>
My parents would play a lot of Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel, and a couple other artists from that period growing up, and I still have a preference for late 60s - early 70s music to this day. In the car my dad would always play Queen Greatest Hits volume 1, but I'm not so into Queen these days. They did help me get into Bowie through Under Pressure though, and Bowie was very significant to my music tastes, both in his own works but also the acts associated with him.
>>
The only American band my parents ever introduced me to was Aerosmith. My dad only listened to 80s pop and Arab music.

It wasn't until I got older and starting listening to more 80s stuff did my parents say that it was great. My mom was a huge Kate Bush fan but never showed me one Kate Bush said, for whatever reason
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.