[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the difference between experimental and progressive
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: image.png (20 KB, 697x571) Image search: [Google]
image.png
20 KB, 697x571
What's the difference between experimental and progressive music? Serious question, I'm honestly not sure.
>>
They're both meme terms.
>>
Progressive typically has an aesthetic attached to it while experimental music is just any music that plays around with ideas and pushes boundaries.
>>
Experimental music pushes aesthetics forward. Eg. Velvet Underground, Faust, etc
Progressive music pushes society forward. Eg. Kendrick Lamar, Beyoncé's Lemonade
>>
>>64405529
That doesn't sound right but I don't know enough on the subject to argue
>>
>>64405235
just listen to LEMONADE. You'll understand then
>>
>>64405529
This
>>
>>64405529
Exhaled audibly.

>>64405235
I'd say 'experimental' stresses *choice* of instruments or composition, i.e. that the artist selects unusual devices, and 'progressive' stresses, so to say, *elaboration*, i.e. that they decide to do a lot (not necessarily in terms of length) with it. But that's just my personal feeling re. those terms.
>>
Progressive when attached to a bunch of different genres means different things (Prog rock, Prog Metal, Prog Electronics, Prog House, etc) However, experimental generally means pushing boundaries musically.
>>
Experimental tries something new.
Progressive pushes what's existing forward.
>>
>>64405529
Fuck
>>
Progressive music still tries to sound like music, it just has random beat changes and shit

Basically general rule, if you see the label "progressive" it has a chance of being garbage. If you see the label "experimental" it has the guarantee of being garbage.
>>
>>64407213
Push what's existing forward by...trying something new?
>>
>>64408216
Yes
>>
>>64405529
I thought he was talking about Prog.

Prog Rock vs. Experimental Rock
>>
Experimental musicians are open and prone to experimentation, particularly wrt their sexualities. Progressive musicians are virgins that live in a fantasy world.
>>
>>64408233
Can
>>
'Progressive' as a descriptor for music doesn't really mean "progressive" in the political sense. Progressive rock didn't always have that name -- the music press originally coined the term 'symphonic rock' from the fact that bands under the label often worked with an orchestra or otherwise incorporated instruments usually seen in classical music, but from around 1969/1970 onward, the term fell out of use in favor of 'progressive rock'. While it could be said that bands categorized under this name often made challenging music that pushed new boundaries, the name actually comes from the fusion of classical structures with rock instrumentation, and how the resulting songs they made followed a 'progression' of changing tempos, time signatures, keys, etc.

Other 'progressive' genres of music like progressive pop, progressive house, progressive metal, etc., follow generally the same way with more complex song structures and possibly classical influence (or progressive rock influence, whichever works).
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.