[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
he better than opn
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6
File: James_Ferraro_750_530_90_s[1].jpg (49 KB, 750x530) Image search: [Google]
James_Ferraro_750_530_90_s[1].jpg
49 KB, 750x530
he better than opn
>>
i agree
>>
if he made more quality albums like skid row but that has yet to happen
>>
>>64392314
>more quality
>like skidrow
WHAT?
>>
>>64392442
there's more to just throwing a bunch of sounds together, as is most of his catalogue. skid row has soul
>>
>>64391905
kind of agreed.
>>
>>64392553
>more soul
You meant more accessible.Skidrow is just underwhelming even for his digital stuff but the album still have its moments.
>>
>>64392633
whats better to you? shitty infomercial music?
>>
>>64392703
silica gel bebetunes cold primavera the throwaway stuff around 3am all the live improvisations are miles better than skidrow.
>>
>>64392777
you're delusional
>>
>>64392959
Nice refutation with shit tier arguments like "it has soul".Do you know which people use arguments like that?
>>
>>64392959
No that woukd be you lol
>>
where do i start with man
>>
>>64393044
From the beginning.Use discogs because he have a lot of alias and groups.Listen to everything by him you will not regret it.
>>
>>64393044
Edward Flex presents Do You Believe in Hawaii
>>
>>64393124
Yeah if you want to never listen to his music again.Its a good album but if you never heard anything else by him you will most likely not get it.
>>
File: 2015-12-01_01-36-41.jpg (745 KB, 2402x1063) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-01_01-36-41.jpg
745 KB, 2402x1063
I feel as though his concepts are a little less focused where he doesn't completely understand why he's doing what he does, but does so just to create a mood or feel. That said, I really enjoy the worlds he creates. Daniel's worlds are a bit more rich in substance and that really shows when you read him talking about the backgrounds of each album.
The both of them really do go hand in hand, often sharing similar themes with different flavors
>>
>>64393150
It was the first thing I ever heard and I immediately fell in love. I guess Nightdolls With Haorspray or On Air or last American Hero are his more accessible albums
>>
>>64393044
jump right in to the James AESTHETIC with iAsia
>>
>>64393153
I think dans execution is way worse and have the same sounds on most of his albums.Yeah dan usually talks a lot more about his music but his end product is not that good in my opinion and garden of delete was really disappointing.
>>64393202
Thats why I said most likely but the people who want to get into him usually listened only to entry electronic music before that.
>>
>>64393153
i think it's the opposite. lopatin seems like the dudes back in my college who read a little bit of pomo philosophy and namedrop it at every change possible but don't have a really solid foundation in the subject.
if we were to scrutinize both their interviews and press releases, yes, lopatin's worlds feel more well thought out, but when you listen to the actual music it really isn't there. his albums are still interesting, but ferraro's execution is way more cohesive imo
jim ferraro is a like a vortex of creativity. you literally can't name a contemporary musician who has released so many good works in such disparate genres while still displaying so much idiossyncrasy and individuality
>>
>>64391905
>he better than opn
I can already tell that this is going to be a bad meme
>>
>>64393319
that really sucks that you didn't enjoy GOD. When I actually saw it live it really came together to me. I'm not the most articulate person so I can't really put my finger on it, but to put it simply it was a really cool combination of science fiction, 90s nu metal culture, and web culture. It really spoke to me because it combined a lot of media I enjoy and find interesting. It kind of even brought me back to a time when I found excitement and wonder on the internet I suppose
>>
Dean Blunt is better than James Ferraro, who is better than OPN
>>
how does james even make a living
>>
>>64393682
dean blunt is a TALENTLESS HACK who will never come even close to opn and even less to ferraro.
>>
>>64393732
selling his music, touring, etc?
>>
File: 10948098019.jpg (203 KB, 996x500) Image search: [Google]
10948098019.jpg
203 KB, 996x500
The big debate
>>
>>64393732
Rich parents
>>
>>64393808
apples and oranges
>>
>>64393651
Its sounds like a idm metal and drone mashup the album.And I dont look for nostalgic feelings in their music.
>>
File: nine-inch-nails-down-in-it.jpg (25 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
nine-inch-nails-down-in-it.jpg
25 KB, 600x600
>>64391905
Doubt it. He's way too overconfident in his skills as a vocalist and guitarist. As someone else mentioned, he's great at worldbuilding and capturing extremely specific feelings or ideas. However, the music to supplement them are never anywhere near as interesting.
>>64393866
Personally, I saw it as Daniel's take on late 80s/early 90s EBM.
>>
>>64393808
You can't really compare them, they're too different. Both great for what they aim for.
>>
File: homepage_large.078b98cb[1].jpg (99 KB, 319x315) Image search: [Google]
homepage_large.078b98cb[1].jpg
99 KB, 319x315
why are his covers so wacky?
>>
>>64393921
To match his crazy music I guess.But his pre digital are really cool even though most of them are collages.Here is one that is really beautiful imo.
>>
>>64391905
Far Side Virtual, Skid Row, and NYC Hell are at least as good.

He really does well with hellish atmospheres like those three. I'm not a huge fan of his tribal-ish stuff.
>>
>>64392553
His earlier albums are interesting for the exact reason that he'd combined sounds that the listener would not expect to hear together. Things like Skidrow are the most basic fucking type of concept-album, chock full of every generic sound effect that you would imagine in a riot, covered in Ferraro's unremarkable singing and keyboard playing.
>>
i like both
>>
>>64394057
The generic sound effects are part of the concept. Its about media targetting middle class people while focusing on violence. Pretty much similar to The movie Nightcrawler.

Since it focuses on popular media, it covers popular things such as the OJ trials and Rodney King and Trap horns and cell phones.
>>
>>64393444
Ferraro's really just dicked around with ironic pop, sound collages/musique concret, noise, ambient and experimental rock. He does it all quite well, but so do half of the music producers our age.
>>
>>64394125
I heard the album man, I'm just saying it's really obvious and doesn't say anything new.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAj-E-hg1pY
>>
>>64393808
farside is better
>>
>>64394156
>so do half of the music producers our age.
what does that even mean?
>>
>>64393682
Keep telling yourself that bud. I love Hype Williams but Dean Blunt is boring by himself.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.